Harley Davidson Forums banner

Motorcycles & Oil Questions

3K views 41 replies 22 participants last post by  Kainam 
#1 ·
What is it about motorcycle forums and the never ending oil question?

When you buy a new Ford Taurus do you immediately join the Taurus forum and ask what kind of oil to use?

discuss.....................................................................

#20 ·
I already did that, some of the chevy people said they didn't like it and wanted to know why I ask on a chevy truck forum, I got mad and posted if I wanted that kinda reply I would've asked on a dodge forum!!

Others said to wait until I could afford a caddy!!! or a mercedes, bmw..

#3 ·
I think it's because Harley made it complexicated, 3 holes with three different purposes, yet they tell you to put the same oil in all of them. The OCD among us cannot and will not let that stand. Each hole must have the proper weight and type for it's purpose.

The whole brand issue is no different than those who are fanboys of Chevy/Dodge/Ford believing that their brand is the best.

For myself I drive a GMC and use whatever proper V-Twin oil I can obtain at the best price. It's been Lucas lately but, our distributer has a sale on Mobil products this month so.....

#4 ·
Could be dead wrong but where there's an engine that uses oil, and a forum, there will be oil threads. I found that to be true on the antigue auto forum I belong to.

#6 ·
I think it all stems from the fact that people tend to have strong sentimental or emotional attachments to their Harleys. These attachments then get manifested as a fixation on keeping the motorcycles in absolute tip top shape. We know that the number one thing we can do to keep our rides on the road is to use clean, quality oil in the engine. Thus our love for the machines is manifested as endless oil talk.

For most of us, cars are more utilitarian. We just want to get the job done. We are, for the most part, bike guys and gals. All the oil talk on the car forums is just as animated.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#8 ·
I think it all stems from the fact that people tend to have strong sentimental or emotional attachments to their Harleys. These attachments then get manifested as a fixation on keeping the motorcycles in absolute tip top shape. We know that the number one thing we can do to keep our rides on the road is to use clean, quality oil in the engine. Thus our love for the machines is manifested as endless oil talk.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Then let me play devil's advocate.

If you change your oil every three thousand miles or three months, I maintain that it doesn't matter what oil you run as long as it meets the recommended viscosity.

#16 ·
I don't understand why it's such a big deal to answer a noob oil question. First your helping a new guy and second most guys on here have nothing better to do anyway.:moonBart

#28 ·
I had a jeep this jeep I drove for five years never changed the oil or filter then one day out of the blue I changed the dam oil friggin thing started burning oil
rule number one don't ever change the friggin oil rule #2 drink more beer rule # 3 don't ask

I passed a cop then he wanted to race so I said to self ok full throttle baby hahahaha

#31 ·
I went to the grocery store the other day in my GMC pickup.

As I was making a left turn into the side street next to the store, there was some guy in some kind of car... must have been a Toyota... with his family waiting to exit that same side street...

Must have been in a hurry cause he tooted his horn at me, started bouncing up and down in his seat flapping his arms....

I waved at him.... with one finger.... he didn't wave back. :(

I stopped next to him to see if I could help him out...
He didn't even have the decency to look my way.

Damm Jap car drivers...

#38 ·
If you mess up your engine and you burn oil.. if you use synthetic, is that considered synthetic smoke?? Is it less harmful than dino smoke? Inquiring minds wanna know.

#40 ·
There was someone posting earlier asking why Harley people don't wave to Jap bike riders, and it was said in that thread that it was the Jap bike riders that were the ones that didn't wave....
When I'm riding the Suzuki I wave only at Harley riders, and when I'm on the Harley I wave only at import bike riders (well, I cooly nod at BMW guys 'cause that's what they do).

Keeps them all guessing, and I like to see them make that abrupt, last-moment wave when they hurry to return an unexpected one from me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.