Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is it about motorcycle forums and the never ending oil question?

When you buy a new Ford Taurus do you immediately join the Taurus forum and ask what kind of oil to use?

discuss.....................................................................

·
Was Briefly First
1,753 Posts
You need to back up there, first thing you do is join a Chevy forum and ask them if they think the new Taurus is cool, and then you ask what kind of oil to put in it. :laugh

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
I think it's because Harley made it complexicated, 3 holes with three different purposes, yet they tell you to put the same oil in all of them. The OCD among us cannot and will not let that stand. Each hole must have the proper weight and type for it's purpose.

The whole brand issue is no different than those who are fanboys of Chevy/Dodge/Ford believing that their brand is the best.

For myself I drive a GMC and use whatever proper V-Twin oil I can obtain at the best price. It's been Lucas lately but, our distributer has a sale on Mobil products this month so.....

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
Could be dead wrong but where there's an engine that uses oil, and a forum, there will be oil threads. I found that to be true on the antigue auto forum I belong to.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think it all stems from the fact that people tend to have strong sentimental or emotional attachments to their Harleys. These attachments then get manifested as a fixation on keeping the motorcycles in absolute tip top shape. We know that the number one thing we can do to keep our rides on the road is to use clean, quality oil in the engine. Thus our love for the machines is manifested as endless oil talk.

For most of us, cars are more utilitarian. We just want to get the job done. We are, for the most part, bike guys and gals. All the oil talk on the car forums is just as animated.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it all stems from the fact that people tend to have strong sentimental or emotional attachments to their Harleys. These attachments then get manifested as a fixation on keeping the motorcycles in absolute tip top shape. We know that the number one thing we can do to keep our rides on the road is to use clean, quality oil in the engine. Thus our love for the machines is manifested as endless oil talk.

Then let me play devil's advocate.

If you change your oil every three thousand miles or three months, I maintain that it doesn't matter what oil you run as long as it meets the recommended viscosity.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
It's stems from the "my dad can beat up your dad" experiences as a child.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Then let me play devil's advocate.

If you change your oil every three thousand miles or three months, I maintain that it doesn't matter what oil you run as long as it meets the recommended viscosity.
You are correct sir!

It's a paradox.

Those who care about the brand also care about the intervals. Yet, if you maintain the intervals, the brand probably doesn't matter.

Those who ignore the intervals, likely ignore the brand as well.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
I agree. That's just how I do it in my car. I don't even know what kind of transmission fluid is in there. But, I know that I have mobil 1 75w-140 gear oil in my Super Glide's transmission! The bike is a passion. The car is a tool.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree. That's just how I do it in my car. I don't even know what kind of transmission fluid is in there. But, I know that I have mobil 1 75w-140 gear oil in my Super Glide's transmission! The bike is a passion. The car is a tool.

and I am with you. I have very specific fluids that I use in my bike. However, I picked them based on their individual purposes and what I believe should be in there, not on what some 13 year old girl pretending to be a biker on a Harley forum told me to use.......:rollin

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
I don't understand why it's such a big deal to answer a noob oil question. First your helping a new guy and second most guys on here have nothing better to do anyway.:moonBart

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
and I am with you. I have very specific fluids that I use in my bike. However, I picked them based on their individual purposes and what I believe should be in there, not on what some 13 year old girl pretending to be a biker on a Harley forum told me to use.......:rollin
Actually, I'm 13 and a half.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't understand why it's such a big deal to answer a noob oil question. First your helping a new guy and second most guys on here have nothing better to do anyway.:moonBart
Take your logic away from here.......This is a thread for bashing noobs and people who ask oil questions......:eek:uttahere:

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
Wait is anyone going to answer the question about the Taurus? I have a 98 taurus what oil should I use?

In order to properly answer your question, you must understand the enviromental issues related to manufacturer specs and moisture. This thread provides all the information you'll ever need. Yes there is a lot, take your time, read it and get back to us .....

Problem with condensation in garage

:what?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
You need to back up there, first thing you do is join a Chevy forum and ask them if they think the new Taurus is cool, and then you ask what kind of oil to put in it. :laugh
I already did that, some of the chevy people said they didn't like it and wanted to know why I ask on a chevy truck forum, I got mad and posted if I wanted that kinda reply I would've asked on a dodge forum!!

Others said to wait until I could afford a caddy!!! or a mercedes, bmw..

1 - 20 of 42 Posts