Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gday, was thinking of changing the motor oil in my bike to motul 7100 20w50. im running a 15w40 minral oil in it at the moment the top end is a bit rattly its not getting any worse just constant.was after your input on motul oils. i have a 2008 883 sportster. any info would be great.

·
Registered
39,566 Posts
I think that would be a fine choice. From reading on the Motul website, is says it is safe for wet clutches as well. So, you could also run it in your primary as well if you were so inclined.

From what I have been able to gather online it is made from a blend of group IV and group V base stocks, which is good (the 300V 15W-50 is from group V base stocks).

All in all, I wouldn't be hesitant about giving the 7100 a try and see if it quiets down the valvetrain noise you hear, but remember some noise is normal due to the pushrod design.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks all for your input,im leaning towards the 7100 think i will stick with a gearbox oil im using a motul trans oil now. i think the top end noise is a bit loader because i fitted a sremin eagle air filter now the motor is a bit more open so a bit more noise is heard.i have been using a diesal engine oil which is a 15w40

1 - 4 of 4 Posts