Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Yea, real tough guy.
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help here. I just got my iPhone 4s and am looking at getting the Ram Mount system. At the Ram Mount site you can enter in the necessary info and it kicks out the mounting system, no problem right? Oh no, anal me has to make it difficult. So here's the question: What craddle would you recommend?

One craddle is iPhone 4s specific, but you can't use a cover or protective sleeve (no biggie). The other two are universal, one is the X-grip and the other uses the fingers (both can be used with the protective cover/sleeve). I also want to be able to turn the phone sideways for use as a GPS.

So any recommendations? Pros and cons?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yea, you have me kind of curious. But I just want to use mine to stream music to my stereo :)

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
I keep my iPhone attached to my belt in an Otter Box and use headphones. Too much hassle taking it out of the case every time to mount it to something else.

·
Registered
1 Posts
@RDU1961

Any of our RAM Mount will support rotating to view them in landscape mode, this change can be made by simply loosening the arm, rotating the mount and tightening the arm again.

If you do not have a case and only plan to use the iPhone go with the iPhone specific case. If you want the option to use or not use a case, or want to possibly use another phone use the X-Grip mount.

We only recommend the multi-fingered universal ram mount for extreme riding conditions, like stadium supercross shows riders :) the X-Grip is a better mount for most situations.

The X-Grip is tested for vibration and will hold your iPhone securely. You can see one of our vibration tests here.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'll be happy to answer them.

·
Rookie for life
929 Posts
Best setup I've seen involves a BioLogic iPhone case with a RAM stud ball attached.

Pardon the link, but I can't explain it better: Thread

FWIW, I love my RAM stuff... used it for years for my GPS and iPod.

·
Yea, real tough guy.
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pulled the trigger and bought the Ram Mount set-up. The components include:
RAM-HOL-AP9U: RAM Model Specific Cradle for the Apple iPhone 4 & iPhone 4S WITHOUT CASE, SKIN OR SLEEVE, and
RAM-B-149ZU: RAM Handlebar Rail Mount with Zinc Coated U-Bolt Base.

Found it on Amazon cheaper than the Ram Mount website. Must say, I absolutely love it! It provides a very secure fit and the vibration is minimal. If you're looking for a peripheral mounting system for your bike, seriously consider Ram Mount.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I like the idea of the Ram X-Grip. What setup do you recommend for a motorcycle. The strap mount doesn't seem right. Seems like I have seen other mounts for the handlebar for the X-Grip. Recommendation please?

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
Another idea for you...

Don't know if you have a GoPro, but you can probably get the mounts on eBay without the camera and case.

Here's my plan...

I have the iPhone 4s with a LifeProof Case that is waterproof up to 6.5' deep. The carrying case can be used with GoPro mounts, so it's a pretty cool added feature.

I mount my GoPro to the speedo lens (see photo). I can now snap my phone into the base. The only drawback is that the LifeProof case is just shy of $90 and the carrying apparatus is another $25 or $30.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
66 Posts
Pulled the trigger and bought the Ram Mount set-up. The components include:
RAM-HOL-AP9U: RAM Model Specific Cradle for the Apple iPhone 4 & iPhone 4S WITHOUT CASE, SKIN OR SLEEVE, and
RAM-B-149ZU: RAM Handlebar Rail Mount with Zinc Coated U-Bolt Base.

Found it on Amazon cheaper than the Ram Mount website. Must say, I absolutely love it! It provides a very secure fit and the vibration is minimal. If you're looking for a peripheral mounting system for your bike, seriously consider Ram Mount.
That's what I use, plus I have an adapter to use for my GPS. Works great.

·
Yea, real tough guy.
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like the idea of the Ram X-Grip. What setup do you recommend for a motorcycle. The strap mount doesn't seem right. Seems like I have seen other mounts for the handlebar for the X-Grip. Recommendation please?
Try starting with the Ram Mount page for motorcycles at the following: RAM Motorcycle Mount

Input your type of device and then your motorcycle. The recommended set-up will be provided.

Information regarding the X-Grip cradle (RAM-HOL-UN7BU) can be found at: RAM Cradle Holder - Universal X-Grip

Be sure to watch the vibration test video at the bottom of the page.

Hope this helps.

·
Yea, real tough guy.
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Love to find an x grip locally, we leave on Saturday and I'm not paying double for overnight shipping...
Here's a list of Ram Mount Dealers in MD. You may want to also try other dealers that may be close by in VA, DC, etc. A full list of dealers in the USA can be found at:
RAM Mounting Systems, Inc. > Dealers > RAM Mount Dealers > United States Dealers

Hope this helps and good luck.

ATS COMMUNICATIONS
PHONE: 3017542871
WEB: ATS RAM
APPLICATIONS: ALL, INCLUDING AUDIO, VIDEO & FILM PRODUCTION

FETTER AVIATION CO
PHONE: 301-297-7388
WEB: www.hydefield.com
APPLICATIONS: AVIATION, AUTOMOTIVE

TESSCO TECHNOLOGIES
PHONE: 800-472-7373
WEB: Featured Brand: Ram Mounts - TESSCO.com
APPLICATIONS: IN-VEHICLE MOUNTING SOLUTIONS

US UPFITTERS / INLAD TRUCK & VAN
PHONE: (301) 772-0057
WEB: Sales & Installation Of Truck & Van Equipment, Shelving, Storage, Supplies, Packing tools, Automatic guided vehicles AGV, Industrial trucks, Lifting equipment and accessories
APPLICATIONS: AUTOMOTIVE, LAPTOP

·
Registered
39 Posts
I know I'm late but better late than never. I have the RAM MOUNT with the fingers. I like it, will fit any phone and with OTTER BOX and easy removal and re-attach when you go into a store or RESTURANT and a good solid hold

1 - 15 of 15 Posts