Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The look of the inspection sticker on the forks just doesn't cut it! It is even worse when the color clashes with your motorcycle.
Before I get one of these
would you share your ideas about where to mount one?

·
Registered
212 Posts
The look of the inspection sticker on the forks just doesn't cut it! It is even worse when the color clashes with your motorcycle.
Before I get one of these
would you share your ideas about where to mount one?
I mount mine on my rk on the left crasn bar lower bolt with that plate youv e got showing,on the dyna I use the crash bar center bolt hole for the same kinda plate.

·
Registered
39,568 Posts
Not sure of the size of your inspection stickers, but while in the military we had to have base stickers affixed to our bikes. What I did was to cut the bottom off a Kodak 35mm film container and slit it down one side then affixed the stickers to that and slid that over one of the fork tubes. Couldnt tell that the stickers werent affixed directly on the fork tubes when done this way. Highway tested to well over 100 mph, and cost was free.

Reactions: buckanear007

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mount mine on my rk on the left crasn bar lower bolt with that plate youv e got showing,on the dyna I use the crash bar center bolt hole for the same kinda plate.
On the RK does it then sit under the floor board?

·
Registered
19 Posts
NO IN FRONT OF LEFT CRASH BAR USING THE CRASH BAR BOLT,INSIDE THE SHIFTER ARMS.
Diamond Lil

aren't you in New York Geneva area?

those plates are illegal for inspection stickers in New York. my local dealer got fined $10,000 dollars for putting them on plates like that.

they are suppose to either go on the lower left front fork leg or upper left fork tube where it can be seen. not really enforced unless you get a LEO that real knows and enforces the law. the reasoning is the plate can easily be removed and used on another bike.

dennis

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Diamond Lil

aren't you in New York Geneva area?

those plates are illegal for inspection stickers in New York. my local dealer got fined $10,000 dollars for putting them on plates like that.

they are suppose to either go on the lower left front fork leg or upper left fork tube where it can be seen. not really enforced unless you get a LEO that real knows and enforces the law. the reasoning is the plate can easily be removed and used on another bike.

dennis
DANG!!!!!
Canandaigua, the dealership I use is in Geneva. I could be wrong but I could have sworn they sell the darn things!!!! I guess they sell them to out-of-staters only.

...and by the way, THANKS for the tip!

·
Registered
19 Posts
DANG!!!!!
Canandaigua, the dealership I use is in Geneva. I could be wrong but I could have sworn they sell the darn things!!!! I guess they sell them to out-of-staters only.

...and by the way, THANKS for the tip!
a lot of people sell them and use them on custom bikes. what happened to my dealer was a customer got stopped by a State trooper that was apprently having a bad day. he couldnt find anything wrong but the sticker. the customer told him the dealer put it on and assumed it was legal to do that. the state investigated and found they had been selling the plates which is not illlegal but putting an inspection sticker on them is. since the inspection manual clearly states where the sticker has to go and the fact they had been selling and putting them on the plates they got fined.

i have a lot of friends with them and i know a lot of custom shops that will put them on and most LEO dont care and dont enforce it just one guy had a bad day and made an example of the local dealer.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Question for you....I've seen them mounted down at the end of the fork...do you think LEO's in a bad mood would pick on that too? Nothing bad about LEO's...I happen to love & respect them!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Va law is the same ,on the forks ,but we are inspectors and have never had the state police say anything about them being out on an inspection plate as long as its mounted securely.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Question for you....I've seen them mounted down at the end of the fork...do you think LEO's in a bad mood would pick on that too? Nothing bad about LEO's...I happen to love & respect them!
personaly i dont think it is a big deal and i dont know of anyone that has had a problem with them on the plate. my brother has the plates on both his bikes and has never been bothered by the law. but he has had to take it to a couple shops to get them inspected because of it. go for it the worst that will happen is you may get a ticket for an incorrect location for your sticker but i doubt it unless the LEO is really upset a cant find anything else.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm in NY. Two bikes both with inspection plates never a problem with any LEO's or getting the bike inspected. In fact when I bought my new RKS in September the dealer put a plate on themselves prior to delivery. Just sayin....

·
Viet Nam 69/70
2,289 Posts
NY has several silly things about bikes. "Generally" (used loosely) None of the police will give you a problem. Typically will shoot the stuff about bikes with you. If they do ticket you NO BFD! It's a non moving no points and he/she probably required to and boss paying attention. Take the penalty and move on, don't throw the inspector under the bus for doing you a favor.

Both mine are on plates at low left front of engine. I do have a chrome plastic cover over the bolt head.. Most in NY are similar placement and lots on shock tube also. Your choice.

I'm not confident about the 10K fine story either. Not say more about, seeing what I see every day.

License plate mounted sideways is much more troubling, but police see them every day and do not bother.

Reactions: slingshot383

·
American
27,019 Posts
Darn glad we don't have them stickers in Indiana!

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
Darn glad we don't have them stickers in Indiana!
DITTO here in KY.

We used to have to get both emissions and safety inspections. What a ripoff. And it could really get your BP up when an inspection guy would give you some grief cause your vehicle was maybe adding a bit more pollution to the atmosphere that what was allowed and then you look out on the street and see a city bus pulling away from the curb belching tons of black smoke. Of course city vehicles didn't have to get inspected.

·
American
27,019 Posts
DITTO here in KY.

We used to have to get both emissions and safety inspections. What a ripoff. And it could really get your BP up when an inspection guy would give you some grief cause your vehicle was maybe adding a bit more pollution to the atmosphere that what was allowed and then you look out on the street and see a city bus pulling away from the curb belching tons of black smoke. Of course city vehicles didn't have to get inspected.
We had auto inspections forty years ago..... what a scam! Glad they did away with them..... intent was noble, but it ended up being a cash cow for the shops..... at are expense!

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
We had auto inspections forty years ago..... what a scam! Glad they did away with them..... intent was noble, but it ended up being a cash cow for the shops..... at are expense!
Arkansas got rid if inspection stickers years ago. You do see a lot more cars on the road with broken tail lights and such that stay that way for long periods of time.

The one thing that they didn't think of is the antique license plates. Other than the car being over 20 years old (I think) the car was not supposed to have more than 4 or 5K miles per year. That doesn't get checked anymore and there are a ton of 90's era cars driving every day with that low-cost plate.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It depends on the requirements in your State's laws. Here in southwest Misery the place that does my inspection lets me put the sticker on the inside of my side cover. I've been stopped a few time over the years and the cop never looked for my inspection sticker. I could show it to them if they wanted to see it. Otherwise, it's always hidden.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts