Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
I don't mount my own tires,,, but where do you live in West Virginia. I have a nephew going to West Virginia, at Morgantown.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,499 Posts
Yes, and even with a very good manual tire changer, it's a tough job.
Years ago I did it by hand a few times with nothing but tire tools for spoons, but either the new tires are a lot stiffer or I'm a lot less determined.

Doesn't mean I won't keep doing it, especially since I spent money on the changer, but its more from being hard headed than because it's no trouble.

The big worthwhile cost break that makes it make sense to me is not having to pay the labor to R&R the wheel. If you could get the tire mounted and balanced dropping it off at some indy shop on the way to or from work, saving that R&R labor would make you smart enough, that paying for the mount and balance would be tolerable.

·
Just Ride
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't mount my own tires,,, but where do you live in West Virginia. I have a nephew going to West Virginia, at Morgantown.
Bout 1hr30min to 2hr south in Beckley. How long has he been attn?
Does he like it in Morgantown?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I mount my own tires since I got the tire changing unit from Harbor Freight. It's a little awkward and needs to be mounted on a firm surface, but I like the idea of mounting my own tires. It's one less thing to have to take the bike to the dealer for, not to mention the money saving aspect. I got my tires and tubes on line from V Twin.
It really isn't that difficult with the proper tools...

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,499 Posts
...the tire changing unit ...needs to be mounted on a firm surface..
I couldn't decide on a permanent place in my shop to bolt mine to the floor, so I got a 4'x4' piece of 1/4" steel plate for $95 and welded the tire changer to it, so it can be firmly mounted wherever in the shop that I want to drag the steel plate.

A very handy option, I thought, for some guys, my changer had the option of a receiver hitch base. It means there is no real permanent fixture, but if you have a truck with a receiver hitch, the solid mount is quickly set up when you need it.

....and a better deal for the mount at $89.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I mount and balance my own.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
Around here the usual deal is that if you take the wheels in then the dealer you buy the tires from mounts and balances for free. If you take the whole bike in they will charge for removing and reinstalling the wheels. So I usually just take the wheels in as there's no further saving to be made by mounting them yourself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts