Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`m pretty new to this forum. Just would like a little input. I currently ride an 07 nightster....I love it. But much more than 100 miles in a day and I`m in need of a chiropractor. I was single when I got my nightster and now I`m not. Am wanting to travel more and need a much more comfortable bike for both of us. So many to choose from....love them all. Any input is appreciated.

No longer jaded

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
Definately wanna go with the touring line. Best ride by far. As far as which one, personal opinion. I myself love my ultra limited and loved the ultra. I can haul enuff stuff for me and wife for a week at the beach. So you got plenty of room store store stuff or haul what you buy on the rd.

·
Registered
951 Posts
When my wife and I were in our 20's we toured just fine on a Sportster, then the late 20's warrantied a Heritage for our touring needs. In our late 30's we moved up to a Road King for touring................And now that mid 40's have set in we find that touring on an Ultra is much more pleasant than any of the other bikes we have had.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,017 Posts
My old Fat Boy would put me in pain at 200 miles. The Ultra, and especially since I put on the Air Zepp seat, i can go all day and have hit the 1K in a day mark comfortably even at my age. If you want to travel, that Ultra is one of the best ways to do it.

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
I've been on many bikes and love my FLH, I think you'll be happy with any FLH too. Now you just have to choose which one. The Road King is a great bike and you'll need the tour pack for it, but it's the more classic looking bike. The Electra Glide Classic, Ultras and Street Glides and Road Glides offer lots of amenities for long distance comfort with fairings and more. These FLH class bikes handle great for being big bikes. Other bikes work good too, some are smaller and lighter, some are softails (hidden rear shocks) but in the end, the touring bikes are the best for touring.

I happen to like the stripped down look, but I can load it up and roll long trips just fine. I personally don't like all the chrome and fiberglass all over the bike, but then I'm only 50 and not old enough to appreciate the full dressed bike yet.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
Gotta agree with whats been said so far.. don't get me wrong, I love my RK, its great for me, I can run that thing all day long, super slab, or backroads. But with the OL about 100 miles and she's done. Short legs, with the backrest hitting her legs wrong, short rides are fine for her. Find a bike you both will enjoy. Ultra aka "road couch" would be my next choice.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I upgraded to an ultra classic three years ago and love it. Put a detachable kit on for the tourpak and you will have a nice hotrod for around town. Put the tourpak on for a nice cruiser when two up. It's the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
951 Posts
But with the OL about 100 miles and she's done. Short legs, with the backrest hitting her legs wrong, short rides are fine for her.
When I had my RK I had to take off the rear saddle bag guards. My wife has short legs as well and the bag guards caused bruises on the back of her calves. I just modified a set of used bag guards I picked up cheap off eBay.................Might be something to think about it.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
I went from a Sportster to a Fat Bob dyna class and in November I got a new Road Glide Custom. I intend to do some traveling but most of my riding will be local. I love the way my Roadie rides and handles even at parking lot speeds. I will never have more than one bike at a time and I don't feel at all disadvantaged by riding a big heavy bike around town and on the slab or twisty two lane state highways the Road Glide is superb--and although I don't have any experience with the other HD touring bikes they are all the same frame, motor and tranny and I'm sure any of them would be superb also.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
When I had my RK I had to take off the rear saddle bag guards. My wife has short legs as well and the bag guards caused bruises on the back of her calves. I just modified a set of used bag guards I picked up cheap off eBay.................Might be something to think about it.
I took em off, helped a little.. I was thinking about raising the passenger pegs, I'm sure I can get em anyplace, Harley sells a kit that raises em 4". Anybody try that, or just change out the wife?

Sorry for the thread drift.

·
IAFF local 845
1,909 Posts
I have a SG and love it. I put a comfortable seat on it and a tourpak for 2-up riding. The SG is nice around town with more than enough storage for a day trip. Most of the time the tourpak is off but goes on quick with a quick detach kit. It's nice to have the tourpak for the wife and overnight trips. It's a perfect set-up.

·
Between Eternities
845 Posts
I recommended an Electra Glide Classic to a friend who always ridiculed "...fat baggers with all the extras they drag around...." Well, lo and behold, being comfortable allows him to ride much further more consistently than he had anticipated, and he loves that!

My point is that the Touring platform totally changed his experience on motorcycles in a really fundamental way; eating loads of miles is now something that he plans for on a regular basis whereas before his metric semi-sporty bikes were mere conveyances as a commuter device and a weekend short-tripping fun toy. You may find that you feel similarly and open a whole new dimension of bike appreciation.

I need to go to Philadelphia tomorrow (400 mile round trip, approximately) and now that I know the weather will be great, I will be riding that distance rather than dragging myself there in the truck. Like me and my buddy, you may find yourself making excuses for longer rides now that you can maximize that beast of a power plant in a way that makes it comfortable as well as fun!

·
Registered
270 Posts
amjaded ... I've had a handful (well, maybe more than that) of Harleys and other bikes.

The HDs are not my favorite rides, but they have come a long way. Just my opinion and the way I like to ride. And, I have a '13 modified SG that I'm working on to make into "my ride".

If you want to move to a more "touring style" Harley, there are many versions ... some with large clear windscreens (some removable, too), some with fork or frame mounted farings of different types. But, they do share similar ergonomics since the frames are the same/same as I remember of the newer touring bikes.

Many dealers have many used touring models in stock. I'm sure they will let you "test ride" these bikes to see which you like to ride. Now, of course, I doubt if they will let you ride 100 miles on any one bike to see how it "feels" to you, but they will let you do 25 or so miles ... sometimes with a lead rider from the shop ... to get acquainted with the bike.

That said, a half hour on a bike is like wearing a new pair of western boots. It takes longer than that to see if it "fits".

You have to decide a couple things IMO. You riding 2 up? Distances of more than 150 miles a day? Need good wind/rain protection? How comfy does the co-rider need to be ... big passenger pad/back rest? Do you plan to convert it to a solo ride? How much 'luggage' space do you require? Style vs function is always a question, too.

Personally, I think one of the best buys is the FLH Standard. It's pretty bare bones touring bike, but a good 'pallet' on which you can modify it's functionality/style to suit you. I don't know if the 103 motor is available in a FLH Standard, but I'd certainly do a 103. I also, like the bigger tire on the rear, and the better oem saddle, and better handling of the newer touring models.

The RKs are a good choice, too, IMO. A bit different 'style' .. more cruiser-like, but still a very stable and comfortable ride. And, you can change from a 2-up to a solo ride with lots of different saddle options. Off the windscreen/rear passenger pad/back rest ... put on your shades and cruise. Less space for luggage, but that can be overcome as well.

So, ride several of this group and choose what fits you best. Lots of options.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I took em off, helped a little.. I was thinking about raising the passenger pegs, I'm sure I can get em anyplace, Harley sells a kit that raises em 4". Anybody try that, or just change out the wife?

Sorry for the thread drift.
I had mine in the top mounting spot and that combined with removing the bag guards helped her out a lot. Here is what mine looked like after.........

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
I put almost 70,000 miles on a Shadow ACE 750 and all of my long road trips I was loaded down with camping gear, etc. I had her for 10 years My last trip on her from Knoxville to Louisville was all back roads, as most of my trips are, and when I got home I said to myself, "self, we need a more comfortable ride for these trips". I went with an Electra Glide Classic and just finished a 1530 mile trip with her and don't have a regret on my decision. Plenty of comfort, plenty of room for what you need for the trip and when you do have to run the slab there is plenty of power. Your lady will like the back seat as well. I was 40 when I got the Shadow, I just turned 51. Comfort does start to play a part in all of this. I usually camp on my trips so I carry clothes, shaving kit and such as well as air mattress, tent and whatever I can fit in a nook or cranny that makes my life easier. Go with a tourer. I also ride her every day as I don't have a cage, works just fine around town too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts