Votes: 15 34.1%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have been looking at mufflers till I'm nuts my choices so far are:

1: HD SE II 4" Performance Touring Muffler pn# 64985-07A
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/...4309265770&bmUID=1220710975006&bmLocale=en_US

2: Monster Ovals

3: Kuryakyn Crusher
http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=harley&ci=3823

4: Supertrapp Se

My bike is a stock 08 FLHR and I plan to keep it stock for now so the slip on would need to work with out a remap. In the future I will probably update to the PCIII w/high flow AC.

I would like a bassy muffler that is not too loud when touring but would be able to make some noise when you twist the throttle. Perhaps I'm asking for too much ;-) I have went and listened to bikes but again like listening to sound clips on the web you really do not know how a muffler will sound untill you are on the bike riding it.

Performance wise I suspect that the Monster Ovals and HD Performance mufflers may be about the same because of the size of the cans. The Kury Crushers I do not know enough about. The Supertrapp SE I threw in as a Wild card.

In the past I have had the Rinehart TD on my 03 SERK w/sounded great but really sucked on the highway. Also had the V&H Ovals on my 07 FLHRI and they just did not sound right.

TIA,
John

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
(I would like a bassy muffler that is not too loud when touring but would be able to make some noise when you twist the throttle.)

This is how the Kuryakyn Crushers seem to work from what I've heard.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have stock head pipes with Rush slipons with the 2" baffles cut down, wayyyy loud! I ordered a set of Roadburner Drag Pro True Duals that should be here Wednesday, I can't wait to get them on and check out the tone.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
I've got Rush mufflers with true dual headers... not obnoxious and they make good power with my other mods. Can't have the pipes drowning out the stereo! :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I recieved my monter ovals yesterday and put them on today.Nice rumble/tone louder and deeper than the se performance that it replaced.havent taken it for a test ride didnt have the time.Sat in idle for awhile and liked what i heard.

·
Old Geezer
3 Posts
Have a question maybe someone can answer. Since the Supertrapp SE's are the same as the old HD SE's, will the Supertrapp/Kerker end caps fit the HD SE touring mufflers?

Thanks, geeded

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bruce at Supertrapp just returned my call about that fitment question for the SE 3 1/2" 65115-98B mufflers. They told me that yes any of there end caps offered that start with the PN 108 will fit.

I picked up a set of NOS 65115-98B mufflers what I really planned to do with them was to put the fishtales on them but the fishtales that Supertrapp offers are not all the way open. There is just a round hole at the rear and the top of the fin is solid. I really do not like that design.

So I may very well go with the 4" HD SE II Performance Mufflers that end in the PN# 7A becuase of the look of the open fishtales that HD offers for them.

Have a question maybe someone can answer. Since the Supertrapp SE's are the same as the old HD SE's, will the Supertrapp/Kerker end caps fit the HD SE touring mufflers?

Thanks, geeded

·
Old Geezer
3 Posts
Thanks much for the info. I have seen the HD SE 3 1/2" touring mufflers with the fishtails. They stick out past the bags several inches. Not at all what I was expecting. Make sure you get a look at the combo before you buy. It might not be what you were expecting either!

Again, thanks

geeded

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure about the SE 3 1/2" tails sticking out that far but I know the SE II Performance 4" Mufflers have the huge tails that stick way out (just what I'm looking for) :)

Thanks much for the info. I have seen the HD SE 3 1/2" touring mufflers with the fishtails. They stick out past the bags several inches. Not at all what I was expecting. Make sure you get a look at the combo before you buy. It might not be what you were expecting either!

Again, thanks

geeded

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I decided on the http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US 07a Performance SE II Mufflers w/fishtales. I just like the look of the fishtales and from what I have heard the mufflers should be great for me on the road.

I recieved my monter ovals yesterday and put them on today.Nice rumble/tone louder and deeper than the se performance that it replaced.havent taken it for a test ride didnt have the time.Sat in idle for awhile and liked what i heard.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well ordered the mufflers only to find out that they are back ordered so they were cancelled. It seems that no dealers stock these and that the one who will order them say that they will be BOed.

Sort of sounds like MOCO is getting out of the muffler bussiness. So now I'm back to square one.

I decided on the http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US 07a Performance SE II Mufflers w/fishtales. I just like the look of the fishtales and from what I have heard the mufflers should be great for me on the road.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Took s pass on all of the above. The SE Perfoamance are just not worth the $$ for what they are and also most dealers do not even stock them and a few have told me that they are NLA.

As far as the fishtale endcaps I have been told that those are obosolete, that was the main reason that I even considered them.

Just not enough info yet on the Crushers so back to the drawing boards.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Since I have stock mufflers right now on my XL1200N, I've taken to making the extra rumble sound with my voice as I ride along. Some people think it's weird. But it's less expensive and that's about the only freakin' thing that doesn't require a reflash of the ECU!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Baloons and playing cards on the spokes:rofl:

Since I have stock mufflers right now on my XL1200N, I've taken to making the extra rumble sound with my voice as I ride along. Some people think it's weird. But it's less expensive and that's about the only freakin' thing that doesn't require a reflash of the ECU!

·
What?
3,256 Posts
I was meeting my wife for dinner. We happen to meet in town at a red light. She rolled down her window as I was sitting there singing, "Potato, potato, potato, potato, potato......." She just rolled up her window, and decided to change the place we were going to meet, without letting me know..... :confused:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts