Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Former Lurker
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Multi-Bikes/cars and Insurance and taxes????

Good day all,
I was wondering how many of you have multiple bikes, sports cars etc..
AND
How do you handle insurance, registration, taxes etc...
Do you just pay through the nose?
Have some sort of insurance that covers everything but NOT like each vehicle is a primary driver? Not like you can drive 5 things at one time...
Same with taxes and reg.

I have had several vehicles in the past, frequently a couple of bikes and when I was younger, they were not as valuable as the Harleys, low no frills insurance and Florida tags were cheap.

In SC, NC, OH, and now MS; this stuff costs WAY too much.
Bike tag/taxes is 450. Vette was 450. Truck is 400. Wife's Prius is 425. Sport bike was 400.

Insurance was wanting about 1k per vehicle.
Dropping to liability only on everyting doesn;t work. Can't afford to replace a totaled vette, or 30k truck or Harley...

It was crazy. After a couple of years I dropped the vette and sport bike.
Still have to pay way too much.

Anyone have any type of dealer registration or insurance that saves any money or hassle?
I have shopped around for insurance and for regular personal/policies I am paying less (State farm) than comparable ins from HD, Geico or progressive. (Good driving record.)

This $h!t seems like a scam.
Should be able to have a few horses in the stable with out it breaking you just to own them...
Thoughts??

·
Registered
39,514 Posts
This $h!t seems like a scam.
Should be able to have a few horses in the stable with out it breaking you just to own them...
Thoughts??
That is one thing the UK does right.

Over there they insure the driver, not the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
4,349 Posts
Doesn't have to be a sports car to fall into the ridiculous category. Recently moved to Virginia and the most outrageous bill I got was the registration on my Wife's Prius. It is 3 times that of my Jeep. They even tell you that they do that to recoup the "incentives" of the hybrid. WTF. Luckily I am military and being "out of state" I do better but I could not afford to live there and we each have 1 car, plus I have the bike.

There is no one best insurance either. Everytime I move the company I have tried to jack my rates up and I switch. I don't even want to see what happens when the points from this summer hit. 2 tickets in 2 months.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I live in NC and i have state farm for my house,RV,truck,kia,dodge durango,and my Road King. I checked the price and coverage from the HD ins. and it is about $15 less a month and a little better coverage than state farm im planning on changing this week. Have anyone had any problems with HD ins?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I have a classic Mercedes that we had insured in some special way by State Farm. It's only $50 a year for the insurance on a car that books at about $4K or so. But, I can only drive it 1,000 miles a year.

No way around the registrations in MO. Here, we pay "personal property tax" and you have to have the paid receipt to get your tags.

Between the bike, the Mercedes, my SUV, the wife's car and the son's car. The PPT is about $1,000 a year.

·
Registered
11,045 Posts
I live in NC and i have state farm for my house,RV,truck,kia,dodge durango,and my Road King. I checked the price and coverage from the HD ins. and it is about $15 less a month and a little better coverage than state farm im planning on changing this week. Have anyone had any problems with HD ins?
Can you switch ALL your ins. to HD? Years ago when I bought a bike after not having one for many years I called State Farm as we had everything else with SF. Got the bill, seemed high. Switched the bike to Geico, then later in the year switched my truck to Geico also. Yeah, saved a bundle on the bike & truck. But...., our SF umbrella policy skyrocketed cause we no longer had all household vehicles insured with SF.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Can you switch ALL your ins. to HD? Years ago when I bought a bike after not having one for many years I called State Farm as we had everything else with SF. Got the bill, seemed high. Switched the bike to Geico, then later in the year switched my truck to Geico also. Yeah, saved a bundle on the bike & truck. But...., our SF umbrella policy skyrocketed cause we no longer had all household vehicles insured with SF.
When i called my agent at sf and compared my policy to the one from HD they told me they couldn't give the same coverage as HD and they hear that alot. said most people go with HD

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Getting older has some advantages. Got the bike with Foremost, dropped about half where I was with State Farm. Illinois wants 120 bucks a year for plates for my 65 Buick.. eft em I got antique plates at 25 bucks and insure it with Haggerty. The other two cages have a ton of miles on em and are old, dropped em down to liability.. Insurance, what a racket.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I changed to HD lot cheaper more coverage. Has replacement value with all accessories added on included. But no claims to compare how they handle accidents. They all sing a pretty song until it's time to payout

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Got too many cars and toys. Gotta insure the valuable stuff. Geico seems very competitive on everything. Even teenage and 20 something daughters. Even my boat insurance is only 330 a year. Full coverage. I also have replacement cost insurance for my newer stuff. If I wanna play, I gotta pay.

Working a plan to sell a few toys and get a Shelby. Bike will stay.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Insurance is just a racket... its depressing to even read or talk about it.
I'm in Oklahoma and have State Farm for everything. I pay about $10K a year for mine. House, '15 duramax, '10 Fusion, '11 Open Range camper, '12 SG, 4 wheeler, extra money on possessions, sons '12 equinox, and daughters '12 Sonic.

Now tell me how the wife's '10 Fusion costs more a month than my '15 Duramax LTZ???
25K car vs. 61K truck. That is straight up STUPID...

·
Registered
39,514 Posts
Now tell me how the wife's '10 Fusion costs more a month than my '15 Duramax LTZ???
Cause when the Fusion gets in a wreck with a Duramax, the Fusion gets totaled, and the Duramax only needs to have the Fusion paint buffed out of the bumper? :dunno

·
Breaker of Things
3,358 Posts
Insurance is just a racket... its depressing to even read or talk about it.

I'm in Oklahoma and have State Farm for everything. I pay about $10K a year for mine. House, '15 duramax, '10 Fusion, '11 Open Range camper, '12 SG, 4 wheeler, extra money on possessions, sons '12 equinox, and daughters '12 Sonic.

It's all the crazy actuary tables they go by in Oklahoma!!! And I hear ya on the car being more than the truck! My old z71 insurance is higher than my newer bmw wth!!!??? And don't get me started on house insurance, I have an inground pool with security/privacy fencing and it is still ridiculous!!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
all my policy's are setup yearly cars,bikes,home,business,workers comp - when the bill comes in I call around and beat it with another company for the same policy and switch - if you don't the bills will creap up over years - they all start low to get your bus then raise premiums each year due to market forces even when you never have a claim. as it turns out right now I am with 5 different insurance companies to get the best overall yearly cost - it is better than getting multi policy discounts with one or two co's

·
Registered
147 Posts
medical is the biggest risk expense when it comes to insurance. if you are in the hospital for a month multiple surgeries due to an auto accident could be over a million easy. if you have uninsured and underinsured coverage you are much more likely to get hurt by one of those drivers in your car than in a truck

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I have everything through state farm. I have a couple of vehicles that I suspend the ins. on during the winter months and mileage is limited to 5000 per year, I have all the discounts available and its still through the roof. just living in West Virginia makes it higher, and I can see Ohio from my back porch.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
I understand and (sorta) agree on collision on each individual vehicle. I don't understand a separate liability on each. Example If I have one veh. and drive it every day for 50k miles a year, I pay $500 liability.
If I have two veh. and split my driving for 50K a year, I pay $1,000.
If I have 3 etc. etc. I pay $1,500.
I believe the liability should be on ME and based on my record for any number of vehicles I drive.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have all of my stuff-3 Sportsters, a Buick and house with Allstate. They have looked after me and have decreased my costs of the vehicles as the years pass. I think though, my 2014 xl1200c insurance was $194 for a year. I guess that is o.k. when it gets near time to re-up, I may start looking around to see what rates are in the neighborhood.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have a 1999 F350, 2003 Durango, 2013 RAV4 and the 2006 Fatboy. I use USAA for all but the bike which is through USAA but ultimately Progressive. I have found USAA to be competitive and with excellent customer service.

So if you're ex- or current military might be an option. I think I pay $1700 or so annual for all but the bike. And that's in NJ!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts