Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize in advance if this topic has been covered to death (I searched the forum and didn't find anything). In any case . . .

I would like to purchase a quality Multimeter. I don't know much about them but a number of threads make reference to using a Multimeter to diagnose electrical issues. I love doing my own work but diagnosing electrical problems is not my specialty. I understand circuits, wiring, etc., and have an electrical IQ if that helps.

Thank You in advance for any advice or recommendations you have for me. I am willing to spend the money on a quality multimeter too and am not looking to "Just get by".

Thanks,

David

·
Retired citizen
22,277 Posts
IMO spending under $100.00 will get ya a good multimeter, just don't buy one with too many confusing bells and whistles. Ya don't need a 'Fluke' to test 12 volt AC and DC circuits. 'Klein' has a nice 3 piece test kit for $80.00 at Home Depot. Multimeter, amp clamp meter and voltage probe.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
406 Posts
A few years ago I had a really nice commercial multimeter that I knocked off the workbench and broke. I went out and paid a couple of hundred for another nice meter that fell into the fan of my truck while I was looking at battery voltage with the engine running (meter and fan destroyed). So I bought a cheap multimeter with a clamp-on ammeter from Harbor Freight and, to tell the truth, it works just as well as the high priced ones for what I am doing. I know there are some electronic projects where more accuracy is needed, but for my automotive hacking this cheap one is adequate and if it gets broken I'm not out much. Just another way of looking at things.

·
Outlaw
554 Posts
I only buy and own Fluke's, but I'm a professional.

In your case, some of the better ones from Harbor Freight should serve your purpose, might even check the pawn shops and Craigslist as you never know what you will find. Tat set from Home Depot isn't a bad deal either.

One piece of advise though make sure it has an impact resistant rubberized case, the heavier the better. A good multimeter is one of the most useful tools you can own, it's also the most often dropped tool on the shelf, so it needs to be rugged.

You might also start looking on Youtube for video's on how to use a multimeter for various tasks. Haven't looked for any myself, but there's video's on how to do just about anything else. Even if your just doing basic voltage and continuity tests it's always good to know a little more about what your doing.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
I used to have a really good multimeter. I used it a lot, then I changed fields. The battery in it corroded and ruined the meter. I now have a Harbor Freight "free with purchase" digital multimeter. I haven't needed more. Having said that, I do understand the desire to own quality equipment. Klein or Fluke would be a great choice.

·
Retired citizen
22,277 Posts
That's the one I was looking at. Kinda nice because the clamp amp meter and voltage tester probe are included. Those all you'll ever need for any kind of electrical testing.
There's other companies that sell good similar sets, the 'Klein' was just an example. Craftsman has quality multimeters also, I've got the Craftsman amp clamp meter among my batch of multimeters, 5 I think so far !

·
Outlaw
554 Posts
I used to have a really good multimeter. I used it a lot, then I changed fields. The battery in it corroded and ruined the meter. I now have a Harbor Freight "free with purchase" digital multimeter. I haven't needed more. Having said that, I do understand the desire to own quality equipment. Klein or Fluke would be a great choice.
Absolutely!!

Another one I just thought of I have been known to carry on trips and actually use from time to time is a little Radio Shack pocket mulitmeter. I found it under the seat of a used truck I bought some time back, it works and has yet to fail me when I needed it.

Quick google search for something like it still available turned up this Pocket-Mini-Size-Portable-Multimeter

While I normally say things like buy the best you can afford when it come to tools, on something like this you can always start small and graduate to something really high end "if" you find the need.

·
Retired citizen
22,277 Posts
Two more things I use to test electrical circuits are a battery powered and an unpowered test light. Battery powered for quick tests on open circuits and unpowered for quick tests in circuits that have B+. Both can be had for under $10 bucks.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Two more things I use to test electrical circuits are a battery powered and an unpowered test light. Battery powered for quick tests on open circuits and unpowered for quick tests in circuits that have B+. Both can be had for under $10 bucks.
I have one of those that's so old it can soon qualify as an antique. I use it a lot just because it's quick and easy.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,429 Posts
Fluke, Klien, yellow Jacket.

Fluke online liferime meter. 1u9 bucks

Klien Home Depot or Greenline at Lowes. Good meter

Yellow Jacket at HVAC supply. Life time meter with temp probes too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,064 Posts
Years ago I bought a bunch of cheapos, Kelvin 200, for my kiddies at school. I have a few I carry on the road and even use them on the bench once in a while when my Fluke is buried in the tool bin. The K200 has never let me down. The giveaway meter that Harbor Freight hands out works as good as most people will ever need and the price is right.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I only buy and own Fluke's, but I'm a professional.

In your case, some of the better ones from Harbor Freight should serve your purpose, might even check the pawn shops and Craigslist as you never know what you will find. Tat set from Home Depot isn't a bad deal either.

One piece of advise though make sure it has an impact resistant rubberized case, the heavier the better. A good multimeter is one of the most useful tools you can own, it's also the most often dropped tool on the shelf, so it needs to be rugged.

You might also start looking on Youtube for video's on how to use a multimeter for various tasks. Haven't looked for any myself, but there's video's on how to do just about anything else. Even if your just doing basic voltage and continuity tests it's always good to know a little more about what your doing.
Thanks Doc! Great advice.

By the way, where are you located in South Texas? My first teaching job (1992 - 1994) was in Harlingen, Texas before I moved back to Minnesota.

·
Registered
37,186 Posts
Years ago I bought a bunch of cheapos, Kelvin 200, for my kiddies at school. I have a few I carry on the road and even use them on the bench once in a while when my Fluke is buried in the tool bin. The K200 has never let me down. The giveaway meter that Harbor Freight hands out works as good as most people will ever need and the price is right.
Yup! It's not like you need the millivolt accuracy that you would working on electronic circuits, when doing automotive work.

The youtube channel EEVblog does a ton of videos on multimeters and that sort of thing.

Cheapest Fluke multimeter, non lifetime warranty Chinese made vs USA made of the more expensive Flukes. $162 at Amazon
$120 at Test Equipment Depot http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/fluke/dmm/handheld/basic-multimeters/114.htm?ref=gbase&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzcbWBRDmARIsAM6uChXyHY7PYaGsJP-hxKnRrPQVjUN5fZaD6BQ8vcme3GnxTE_aiIgLmBgaAqQdEALw_wcB

·
Poser Member # 99
17,228 Posts
McM electronics is now Newark I've bought the Tenma clamp on Meter and the Multi meter over the years. When I was working in a Plastics factory doing Maintenance there not really expense and are accurate and durable . But a Lowes or Home depot or Menard's Multi meter will do what you want . Harbor freight some times has a coupon for a free multi imeter too

Newarks muti meter for a tenma is 21.00 Plus shipping

"72-10390 - Handheld Digital Multimeter, Transistor Test and Temperature, 1999 Count, Manual Range.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
You don’t need expensive one, but there are a couple of features that are nice.

Try to buy one that has a fuse in it to protect it against high current flow. Most decent ones will have that, but some of the lesser ones may not.

Also, a tone is very, very handy to have when checking for open circuits, etc. otherwise you have to have the face of the meter where you can read it. It’s a lot easier just to hear the tone and move on.

The little bitty pocket ones are nice. They’ll do 90% of what a bigger one will do, and they are small enough to take with you in the road.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 41 Posts