Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Killer of Souls
10,862 Posts
I have a fluke as I use it for putting money in my pocket.

As said, most meters sold at the big box stores will do everything the average homeowner/ shade tree will need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Retired citizen
22,051 Posts
Thanks Everyone . . . Just found, and purchased this one off of eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klein-MM300-Digital-Multimeter-Manual-Ranging-600V-/162982037917?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=Gnb0y7enrhcC1Re9R3W8qd6F9XY%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

The same model was $30 at Home Depot. I already have a circuit tester so I just purchased the meter.
Now when ya get it read the instructions dude ! Those instructions can teach ya some 'electronics for dummies' stuff!

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I have let the smoke out of several quality and a couple of multimeters. I get dyslexic with the dial setting and poof! I have a couple of Harbor Freight freebies, and a decent Craftsman that still have smoke in them. I also have a 20 yr. old Radio Shack credit card size meter with the original battery in my saddlebag.

·
Retired citizen
22,051 Posts
The trick is NEVER test amps, the meters are only good for 10 and the Harleys have 5, 10, 15, 20, 40 and 50 amp circuits ! Use an amp clamp meter for that. Most multimeters do test milliamps tho.

·
Registered
36,931 Posts
Does anyone test for milliAmps on automotive/motorcycles? :confused

·
Poser Member # 99
17,138 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klein-MM300-Digital-Multimeter-Manual-Ranging-600V-/162982037917?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=Gnb0y7enrhcC1Re9R3W8qd6F9XY%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

The same model was $30 at Home Depot. I already have a circuit tester so I just purchased the meter.
This will work for sure . good choice

this is the one that I have and use the Most and it's a Tenma

Attachments

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
Does anyone test for milliAmps on automotive/motorcycles? :confused
Use to look for excessive draw on battery when power is off. Most ECMs will draw small amount power. In milliVolts . Be about it I think.

·
Super Moderator
4,057 Posts
One fun meter suggestion, careful when checking for resistance. Many people new to a meter might not realize that to test resistance, the meter must send voltage. When I worked on helos we had some noobs check for resistance on the wrong things and if checking wrong on solid state, even with small volts from meter, it was possible to smoke something. Not sure if Harley components are as sensitive but just be aware.

·
Outlaw
546 Posts

I agree, that one should work just fine and give you years of use. One small suggestion, it probably has a cheap Chinese battery in it, replace that with a quality battery before it starts leaking and kills the meter. Other than that you should be good to go.

As for what batteries I use, been using the Duracell copper for decades, buy a fresh box every December and replace all of the batteries in everything, smoke alarms, clocks, meters whatever January 1st whether it needs it or not. Look for bulk pack deals if you use as many as I do. There's probably even better batteries out there, that one is just my choice as I have yet to have a problem with them.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Arrived in the mail on Wednesday . . . $17.50 and free shipping on eBay!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
spend a extra 10 dollars nd get the lanyard with a magnet holds meter in place so you can read and prevents dropping
flukes is the best if you need to do a lot of testing every day
but the Klein one for 100 is pretty good deal

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
FLUKE Meters last forever.

·
Proud Infidel
2,566 Posts
I Bought a Used Simpson 260 that does all I need from 3 Volt Batteries DC to 220 AC House Appliances .. Just replace the Batteries every 2 Years for proper Resistance Readings ..
WTF? Haven't seen one of those in a couple decades.

Sent from my 2 Tin Cans With A String using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I Bought a Used Simpson 260 that does all I need from 3 Volt Batteries DC to 220 AC House Appliances .. Just replace the Batteries every 2 Years for proper Resistance Readings ..
I used to have one of those. Unfortunately, I didn't change the batterys and during a period of non-use, they leaked and corroded the internals. :frown

·
Registered
126 Posts
I routinely remove batteries from any device used occasionally. (cameras especially) Store the batteries with but outside of the device.
That crud and corrosion can be cleaned off by scraping and light sanding to save your item.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
That crud and corrosion can be cleaned off by scraping and light sanding to save your item

Not in this case Rocky. It was during a move and the meter stayed packed away a long time. A lot of my battery powered items, like cameras, I do take the batterys out of when sitting idle for a time. I missed this one and it really bit me.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts