Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if your buddy walked in a said they bought a bike. He asks you:

What 5 things can you think of immediately to always have with you when you take your bike for a ride? Besides cash (some form), Insurance info, identification and hopefully a cell phone (change).

Mine would be:

1. A list of immediate contacts. All phone numbers for them and who they are.
  2. Swiss Army knife - your handy dandy just about everything tool.
  3. Tire Pressure Gauge
  4. Spare Sunglasses - may just be a me thing - I lose them.
  5. Small tools - adjustable wrench, all in one screwdriver w/different tips - you know those small sets.
What would you guys tell your friend to have with them?

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
1.Screwdriver
2.Crescent wrench
3.pair of pliers
4.hammer
5.roll of bailing wire.:D

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
I'm trying to think what I have on my bike at all times. Hmmmm?

First, the cell phone. All the contact numbers anybody would need are in the phone. ICE is a "name" that has my emergency contact number attached to it. ICE = In Case of Emergency.

Second is a pair of clear goggles to swap for my sun glasses if I am out after dark.

Third item is sun screen.

Fourth is a long sleeved t-shirt. This can be used for a little extra warmth and also as a sun screen aid.

Fifth is a small tool roll with the usual plus a tire guage.

·
Registered
89 Posts
1:pROPER tools in a tool roll. Be able to get to battery and fuses..tighten fasteners...get to cables..etc. needle-nose vise grips can come in very handy.
2:tire plugs...and a source of compressed air for temp. tire repairs..I changed the front wheel on my deuce so's I could run tubeless and have had to do a repair on the side of the road. At least with tubeless you have a shot at plugging it. With a tube tire its remove the wheel or a tow.
3:spare spark plugs and plug wrench
4:duct tape
5:mount some sort of voltmeter so you'll have advance warning of a charging system failure and can remove seat and get to headlight fuse...remove that and you'll be able to run 80-100 miles to help. Our experience has taught us that on a Harley it is not IF your charging system will fail, but WHEN. My FX at 62k, Nita's Dyna at 30k and 50k, My Deuce at 82k.
Cell phones do not work in many areas of the country, especially in the boonies. If you like to take long trips which include country 2-lanes it's best to be as self-sufficient as possible.
Bob

·
Registered
63 Posts
first aid kit
Dog tags with NOK medical emergency info, blood type.
Rain Gear
tool kit w electric tester
flashlight.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,197 Posts
..first aid kit..
30 years ao I was subscribed to Easy Riders magazine. I remember their slant on a first aid kit.
They figured that there were only about 2 injury situations, maybe 2 and a half.

Either pour a little whiskey on the wound and forget about it, or wait for the ambulance.
The latter might also include haulin' ass to the nearest hospital.

Once before we've talked about space blankets, I suspect if there was any lifesaving equipment
that you might really use at an accident scene, it would relate to the prevention of shock.
Keeping somebody you can't move warm might be lifesaving.

Aspirin, if somebody you were with had a heart attack, and within minutes you can give them
a couple of aspirins to chew up, it about doubles their chance of survival, if not more..

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Murphy's law dictates that whatever you take with you wont be what you need when you get in a bind.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Extra layers of clothes

Tire pressure gauge

A cell phone and credit card is too important not to include

Water (for me)

My wits (to keep me alive or at least increase my chances)

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
I'm surprised at the number of people mentioning tire pressure gauges. What's the logic behind a tire pressure gauge if you don't have anything to blow the tire up with as well ?

I go a completely different route. Run tubeless and UltraSeal. If that fails I'll get a tow.

My own list - bearing in mind I only ride for fun - is

1. Cell Phone

2. Auto Club Card

3. Credit card

4. High visibility jacket

5. A gallon of gas (shovelhead - no fuel gauge)

·
Registered
623 Posts
I kind of go the same route as some of the other guys:
1. cell phone
2. AAA card
3. credit card
4. $20 bill
and last but not least -
5. 2 or 3 of the little bottles of airline booze - preferably Jack

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Jack (bottle) is a good one of course. Smokes and lighter too.
Duct Tape - my Husbands favorite.
Barb Wire - I don't know if I want to know? Ok - tell me?
Tire Pressure gauge - that's to make sure we know we are scre**d.

My Husband told me - a (g-string). It is amazing how you can stop and make a cell call and how many men stop to ask if you are ok. Which is sweet (of course). I thought it was interesting - because I have no side bags - I grab a small bag and strap it to my Sissy bar. But that is the only way I have to carry things.

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
always if possible a long sleeve shirt or jacket, don't know how many times I took off when it was sunny and high 70's to 80's only to be gone long enough to get home after dark when it feels like it might as well be 30.

Extra glasses for sure, like already mentioned clear lenses to swap for the tinted ones.

extra lighter, every time I'm around people that don't smoke, my lighter quits on me.

extra bandanna, when evening hits, those tiny little bugs you can't even see sting the hell out of your forehead

condom - hey, ya never know (just kidding)

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
always if possible a long sleeve shirt or jacket, don't know how many times I took off when it was sunny and high 70's to 80's only to be gone long enough to get home after dark when it feels like it might as well be 30.

Extra glasses for sure, like already mentioned clear lenses to swap for the tinted ones.

extra lighter, every time I'm around people that don't smoke, my lighter quits on me.

extra bandanna, when evening hits, those tiny little bugs you can't even see sting the hell out of your forehead

condom - hey, ya never know (just kidding)
Just one?:hidesbehind

·
Registered
63 Posts
You know you are getting old and boring when you put Dog Tag with next of kin and first aid kit as essentials and other guys are worried about condoms and airline booze bottles. I gotta pick a younger crowd to ride with.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I'm surprised at the number of people mentioning tire pressure gauges. What's the logic behind a tire pressure gauge if you don't have anything to blow the tire up with as well ?

I go a completely different route. Run tubeless and UltraSeal. If that fails I'll get a tow.

My own list - bearing in mind I only ride for fun - is

1. Cell Phone

2. Auto Club Card

3. Credit card

4. High visibility jacket

5. A gallon of gas (shovelhead - no fuel gauge)
The tire gauge is not for emergencies it's for routine maintenance but I always take it with me.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
cell phone
AAA card
HOG card
380 depending on route

·
Registered
39,567 Posts
1) Duct Tape
2) Bailing Wire
3) .45 ACP

If you can't fix it with Duct Tape or Bailing Wire (what can't be fixed with Duct Tape and Bailing Wire?), shoot it.

·
Ms. Subtle
1,930 Posts
no worries scrinch.. the dog tags were the first thing i made when i got my bike and i am NOT old..

the essentials when i ride..

epipen

dog tags

sunscreen

debit card

AAA card

camera

20 dollar bill for those out of the way gas stations that wont take a card..

cell phone.. it has an ice function.. i can put up to three emergency contacts in that are highlighted in red on my contact list

1 - 20 of 22 Posts