Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first became aware of this 1997 "Estate/Garage Find" FXD in April of this year. The executor of the estate was a "friend of the family" and the Harley was sitting untouched (kind of) in a garage in California for the last 24 years. Just 1900 miles on the clock....I ended up buying it in late June and have been going through it to get it ready to ride. Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Automotive fuel system
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank
Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Wood
Musical instrument Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Automotive lighting Wood
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Font Red Material property

·
Administrator
14,096 Posts
Very nice. Love that color too.

Reactions: Boog

·
2004 Ultra Classic
1,967 Posts
1900 miles wow nice. Naming it Rumplestiltskin?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When the bike first came out of the garage in Cali there was probably 1/2 tank of 24yr old gas in it, I was in contact with the fellow from the estate that was looking the bike over and trying to come up with a price for it. He had tried draining the gas but no fuel would flow so we thought the tank was dirty or something was blocking the line......we decided to disconnect the fuel line and do an oil change and then just use WD40 to make sure the bike would fire. No problem........she was coming back to life.

When I got the bike one of the first things I did was to get rid of the old fuel, clean the tank and replace the factory petcock with a new "Click-Slick". She runs like new.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I first became aware of this 1997 "Estate/Garage Find" FXD in April of this year. The executor of the estate was a "friend of the family" and the Harley was sitting untouched (kind of) in a garage in California for the last 24 years. Just 1900 miles on the clock....I ended up buying it in late June and have been going through it to get it ready to ride. View attachment 813816 View attachment 813817 View attachment 813818 View attachment 813819 View attachment 813820
Had the same thing happen. 1997 Heritage softail classic that was won in a contest. When the owner died the son took ownership. Thought he would have time to learn and ride but never did. I got it in 2017 w/ 463 miles on it. Added gas and it started right up. Son had it maintained. Love it!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Once the fuel issue was put to rest I decided to work on changing out the tires. That was an adventure I wasn't planning on. Not only were pairs of tires (front/back same brand) unavailable, once I did finally put together a new set from 2 different sources it was hard to find anyone to install them.......and nobody wanted to remove them from the bike, so I bought a service manual, started watching YouTube and pulled my tires off one at a time and took them to a great guy in my local area that mainly works on off road bikes but agreed to mount my tires the same days I brought them in, my HD tires were to heavy to balance on his machine so I also learned about "Ride On". I've never been one to work on my own disc brakes but while I was at it I also learned how to inspect and flush my brakes.

As I took things apart it gave me the opportunity to give the bike a thorough cleaning and also started me buying a few new parts that I thought might look good on her......I even decided to move the front turn signals off of the handlebars. And a new seat.........and.......some new bling........

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

1 - 20 of 23 Posts