Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In October I found a barely used 2016 Sportster 48. This is my second Sportster, and absolutely love it. The only complaint I had was the lack of travel range from the 48 gas tank. I found a black denim 3.3 gallon tank from a salvage parts site which had previously been mounted to a Sportster 883.

The immediate appreciation of having a larger fuel capacity and travel range before refill is needed was great. I've never been a fan of the black denim and the tank that I purchased did have minor scratches which are highly visible when they are on a black denim painted surface.

Last week I stumbled on some posts about people who had buffed the black denim paint with good results. I did some research and found that this is something that can be done relatively safely.

Products used were McGuire's ultimate compound for the first step, followed by McGuire's ultimate polish for the second step. I took my time, let the random orbital buffer do the work with the compound and was stunned with the result. If any of you are contemplating doing this, I suspect that you will be pleased with the result. It's far cheaper than sanding the tank down and repainting.

Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Wheel Tire Vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

If I'm not mistaken, spring is about 59 days away and it can't get here soon enough.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts