Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here ya go, Dyna riders. My best LowRider mod, after the 1550.
Question is, why didn't my LowRider look like this from the factory?
Spectacular light output, looks "right" and cost $85.

Attachments

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BTW
This was a rig job that took some nerve on the LowRider, and any other Dyna with the overhead light mount and narrow glide front end. It took drilling the lower triple-tree and praying the overhead mount would still look right, since the 7" light is bottom mounted. It worked ok, but if I didn't have the visual cover of the windshield, I might need to try to raise up the bottom mount a bit, rig some kind of 3/4" pedestal or spacer, to make the 7" housing snug in tighter to the overhead mount.

It out to be a piece of cake mod on a wide-glide front end.
You already got a bottom mount light, just 5" instead of 7"

Next feat of rigging will be to put the same 7" light on the B-Rod, and this time I will have to re-use the overhead mount.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just in case anybody ever considers this conversion to 7" headlight on a Dyna, I should update and correct my advice.

This inexpensive (cheap!) headlight housing with reflector included turned out not to be such a good buy in the long run, the light beam pattern has a weak spot right in the front center.

I considered replacing the reflector/lens assembly, but the housing will not accept conventional reflector/lens assemblies. I wound up paying $70 for a first class Cibie reflector/lens assembly, and $250 for an Adjure 7" housing.

I have not regretted my mod, I like the way it looks and works, but I should have gone with higher quality, higher cost components from the beginning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts