Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1995 softail custom 10 to 1 dome pistons Ran ok but had junk carb just put new s&s super e on and set adjustments to manufacture start specs It will not run unless I give it a lot of fuel and to keep it running u have to keep cranking the throttle fast. Sounds good during that but if ya hold throttle steady or try to let it idle it just dies. Also misting a little fuel out of carb while running but that may be normal with filter off any ideas

·
Super Moderator
4,796 Posts
inline fuel filter? maybe some fine tank corrosion clogging up the works? I had a very similar sumptom on my 97 heritage, also Super E. inline filter worked wonders.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
inline fuel filter? maybe some fine tank corrosion clogging up the works? I had a very similar sumptom on my 97 heritage, also Super E. inline filter worked wonders.
Does not have filter Took carb apart once to clean jets but didn’t see anything

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will clean tank and put filter on just to see bikes been setting for a few years just now starting to prank with it again

·
Just Ride
3,672 Posts
There's a filter in the petcock also. Actually it's a plastic screen in the tank that accessible thru removal of petcock.

·
Super Moderator
4,796 Posts
i was in a heavy deployment cycle so mine sat most of 4 years. the HD shop kept screwing with the timing and tried telling me i needed all sorts of engine mods. Found an Indy that looked for 2 hours, undid the crap fixes, 2 dollar filter, ran awesome.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
How is the fuel flow to the carburetor . . . If you close the petcock, remove the fuel line from the carburetor, hold the open line above a container and then open the petcock, are you getting adequate fuel flow? From what you described, it sounds like you are not getting enough fuel. Do you have a way of hooking up an external fuel tank (e.g. I have a plastic lawnmower fuel tank that I can hook up to a carburetor) and see if that makes a difference. Just some thoughts.

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR and JTJ

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How is the fuel flow to the carburetor . . . If you close the petcock, remove the fuel line from the carburetor, hold the open line above a container and then open the petcock, are you getting adequate fuel flow? From what you described, it sounds like you are not getting enough fuel. Do you have a way of hooking up an external fuel tank (e.g. I have a plastic lawnmower fuel tank that I can hook up to a carburetor) and see if that makes a difference. Just some thoughts.
Thanks yea I checked that It gets fuel if I rev it high it runs good just can’t hold it steady or let it idle. Seems like once it gets below 1/4 throttle it’s like u shut the key off unless u hurry and shoot the fuel to it again

·
Retired citizen
24,219 Posts
Where exactly did the NEW S&S carb come from, EBay or a dealer ? A new S&S Super E is a plug N play for an EVO. The only adjustment that would be needed is a tweak to the slow air screw and the throttle cable idle screw.
Maybe try undoing all the adjustments you made if you can still remember them.
Also if it's a BRAND NEW S&S from a dealer it's under warranty and you can contact the S&S tech department directly for help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for the help. I figured it out intake gasket not sealing. Fires right up now Now time for the fine tuning

·
Flats where its at
56 Posts
Thanks guys for the help. I figured it out intake gasket not sealing. Fires right up now Now time for the fine tuning
after its all together do old school ck for air leaks = spray anything flammable near back of intake / manifold gaskets and manifold to heads clamps...[spray away from air intake] bike will rev up if there's a air leak/ bad gasket jus sayin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts