Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. In this thread, I will detail all that I went through to ship a 2009 H-D Street Bob to Frankfurt, Germany from Chicago temporarily (for personal vacation use).

Please stay tuned... :thumb

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
I would like to hear how this goes down ,Ive head that peoples bikes sit in containers for 1 and a half months before they are shipped sometimes even longer.thanks for the info.good luck!!

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
I would like to hear how this goes down ,Ive head that peoples bikes sit in containers for 1 and a half months before they are shipped sometimes even longer.thanks for the info.good luck!!
They have to quarantine them to make sure they have no diseases. All countries do it cept U.S. we let everything in.:faint

·
sober 2 nite
223 Posts
I shipped mine back from Australia to the UK took 6 weeks door to door

·
when did it start 4u
2,051 Posts
like to see how this unfolds

·
Road Glide
348 Posts
My RG stood in the shipping depot in Houston for over 6 weeks, then 3 weeks on a boat to get to England.

·
OMR
951 Posts
Look forward to seeing what the results are.. I would like to do this some day as well.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,188 Posts
Not exactly comparable, but a guy I work with sold a horse for $5000 to a guy in Belgium
who took it to DFW airport and put it on a plane.

What the hell would THAT cost? :eekers

·
Registered
39,508 Posts
Not exactly comparable, but a guy I work with sold a horse for $5000 to a guy in Belgium
who took it to DFW airport and put it on a plane.

What the hell would THAT cost? :eekers
And how many seats did he have to buy for the horse???

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay. I honestly forgot about this thread and it took my a while to find it once I remembered because I guess you can't list the threads you started in the User CP? Maybe I'm missing something. Anyway... here's the story.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's the short list of the process. I'll add the details, experiences, and costs next.

(1) Used Motorcycle Express (http://www.motorcycleexpress.com/)
(2) Shipped bike from Toronto to London-Gatwick via air (4-days)
(3) Picked up bike from London-Gatwick, they lost my battery terminal screw!
(3.5) They were supposed to check my registration, insurance, passport, etc. Nope! They just handed me over the bike. I used a customs agent, so I'm sure that helped.
(4) Rode on back of guy's BMW bike to a Ducati dealership, got a terminal screw there
(5) Road back to Air Cargo and got the bike started... the guy was really nice!
(6) No I do not want to date this guy... I just needed a ride.
(7) Road straight to Ace Cafe in London to see what it was like. Great!
(8) Road to the Dover ferry and along the way met up with some Polish H-D riders
(9) Polish guys road along with me to the ferry then headed north, I got on the ferry
(10) Road straight through France, Belgium, and The Netherlands to Wiesbaden, Germany in one sitting, no sleeping stops. Took 10 hours from London-Gatwick, total.
(11) It rained and pissed in Belgium and The Netherlands... bike was a dirtball after.
(12) Parked the bike at my place, took a nap.
(13) Woke up, cleaned bike, went riding. Almost got hit by a woman driver.
(14) Lesson: women can't drive in Europe either.
(15) Soon realized that twisties are king in Europe and my bike isn't fast enough for the Autobahn.

Note: shipping via air is NOT cheap. I could only ship to Gatwick due to the time frame I needed the bike shipped inbetween. I was only in the US and Canada for a few days so my departure time frame was limited which meant that I couldn't ship to Frankfurt, but only Gatwick. Make sense? I live near Frankfurt.

I am willing to help anyone out with this. It's confusing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts