Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since buying an 09 Road Glide several months ago, it was glaringly apparent from the beginning that with my 5' 10" carcass, the stock windshield at 12 1/2" high was the bikes primary shortcoming. I bought this motorcycle for comfort, styling and performance. The fact that it had a new frame and many other improvements was just icing on an already great cake. I was not prepared for the helmet buffeting which I was getting, but I understood why. So, I set about looking at all the options to eliminate the problem with a different windshield.

I started by going to several Harley shops and riders meets on Saturday mornings where there tends to be a large supply of bikes to look at. I learned that there are many riders out there who are not happy with their stock windshields (we are talking Road Glide owners here) but for whatever reason have not taken the plunge and tried something different. It is, after all, kind of expensive to start replacing windshields so you want to have your stuff in "one pile" before you write the check. In fairness, I found many Road Glide owners to be perfectly happy with the stock windshield. It seems to depend on your riding style and height. If you are cruising around town and most of your time is spent at less than 55 mph and you are not too tall, your probably OK. But, if you are a road rider who likes to cruise at modern interstate speeds for long periods of time and your height is approaching 6', you are probably getting your helmet and head tossed about pretty good. Enough to make your driving experience less than enjoyable at least.

After considerable homework, I decided that for me at least, the Clearview was my best bet. I liked the idea of the recurve at the top which uses the wind tunnel concept of streaming air over the top of the rider. It was also thicker than the stock windshield which did play hopscotch at anything less than 2500 rpms. In talking to the Harley shop, they did have taller windshields, but they were still thinner and did not have a recurve at the top, so that was not a viable option. I did talk to a number of Road Glide owners both in person and on the internet forums who had bought a Clearview and were having a problem with the right hand mirror coming in contact with their windshields when in the 'locked' parking position. That did seem to be a problem and in fairness the Clearview web site did admit to this. Another deciding factor was when the Clearview owner said that he shipped his windshields with a protective covering on them and as long as I didn't remove it or scratch it, I could return his windshield and swap it for something else if not happy. I would have to pay shipping but that was expected. The thing that swung the deal for me was when the owner (John) was telling me that he had made arrangements for the owner of a new 09 Road Glide to bring his bike in for a fitting. This was to address any changes which the MOTO company had made in design the last year or so. Then, back in late August he e-mails me and tells me that they had the 09, measured it and made a new windshield for it. They took the bike out for a test and the re-designed windshield was a keeper. At that point I was ready to pull the trigger.

After about 45 days I got a box from UPS with the Clearview shield for my Road Glide inside it. The box was pretty large for a windshield. Inside I found out why. This thing was packed like a fine watch. There must have been 10 pounds of shredded foam rubber in there. UPS could have dumped it out of an aircraft and it would have survived. Anyway it took all of 5 minutes to pull the stock windshield off and safely set it aside. The Clearview instructions were clear and precise. Short and sweet. All the wellnuts were installed on the windshield except the middle one which was shipped in a clear bag by itself. I took the extra wellnut out and pushed it into the fairing, then pulled its screw out to facilitate installing the windshield. The next step involved placing the new windshield on the fairing and pushing in the rubber wellnets into the holes. I started on the right hand side and with very little coaxing eased each wellnut into its respective hole in the fairing. Elapsed time, maybe 60 seconds. Then I took the screw from the center wellnet and screwed it in. The instructions said to screw them in until you started to feel resistance and then give it another 4 complete rounds. It worked perfectly.

Before installing the new Clearview. I laid it on top of the old stock Harley Windshield. It didn't take a design engineer to see that there was a big difference in shape. The Clearview was taller and a little wider. It was cut somewhat in an hourglass figure along the sides. I had ordered a +2'' windshield which would have put it at 14 1/2" tall measured from the top of the Harley logo on the speedo to the top of the windshield. In reality the new one turned out to be an exact 15" inches tall, which made it 2 1/2" inches taller than stock. Since the new windshield looked great, the extra 1/2" was not a concern because I purposely ordered it tall so I would look through the windshield instead of over it. I don't like to get hit by bugs or rocks from cars who suddenly pull in front of me on the highway so an extra 1/2" in height pleased me to no end.

OK, they say the proof is in the pudding, so the next thing was to head for the open road. Fifty miles per hour, everything is good. Sixty, this is where things usually start to go south. Steady as a rock! Seventy is looking good too. I am thinking, "hey, I can still hear the radio like I am going 35 mph and the exhaust sounds good too. There is zero head buffeting. At this point I raise my hand up above my 3/4 helmet to feel the air flow. It is calm until I raise my hand about 6 inches above the helmet. At this point I can feel a real rush of air as the recurve is doing it's thing. Just for the duece of it, I run up to 85 mph to see if anything changes. At this speed I can feel no buffeting and the stereo is still clear as a bell. I look for any visual imperfections, especially at the point where the recurve starts. There are none.
I figure if things are still good at this speed, all is well in Harleyville and any more speed at this point is just foolhardy and unnecessary. I know there are some who ride at speeds above 85 mph but for my old self, anytime I get up above 85 my sphincter mode sets in and tend to back off a wee bit. I have no doubt the windshield would still continue to perform well at this speed but I just don't have the tea bags for that sort of stuff any longer.

The bottom line here is that for me, the Clearview is an obvious winner. It transformed an already great motorcycle into a true dream high speed road machine. I don't own stock in any windshield company nor do I have any alliance with anyone who would benefit from my experience. I have never met the owner of Clearview other than via e-mail conversations so I don't owe him anything other than to say he treated me in a very professional manner. He said he has been making windshields for twenty years so this ain't his first rodeo. I have no experience with any of the other after market windshields made for Road Glides so I can't say this is the best in the world because I haven't tried all of them. The Clearview is what I tried and for my particular use it is great. I am kind of like an old woman though in that I am kind of fussy. Not to the point of being difficult but if something ain't right, I will tell you.
I relate my experience only to help others make an informed decision. You should do your own homework after listening to others like myself.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I got my Clearview yesterday and put it on this morning. I had today off so I could go to the dentist and find out I need a crown, but I digress. The new 12" shield is about 1/2" shorter than the stock one and this makes it the perfect for my 6' frame. The flair puts the flow of air about 2" higher than the stock unit that barely cleared my helmet. This was one of their "Blemished" parts but I didn't see anything wrong with it.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
DJH... Is your bike coming back together?

As for Clearview, when I stopped by their shop I browsed the screens that fell short of their quality assurance and I couldn't see anything wrong with them.

·
Registered
327 Posts
DJH... Is your bike coming back together?
Didn't know it was apart?

Oh, if you mean the winshield I had it changed in about 15 minutes, did a little cleaning before the install.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I ordered a +2" with a re-curve to help my extreme buffeting at speed from Clearview today. John is a great guy to talk to and help in my decision. I have a 09 Road King Standard and I'm 6'0 tall with 29 inch inseam so I'm long in the torso and short in the legs and kinda high in the saddle and anything >65 mph I have a hard time reading the road signs due to buffeting. I will report once recieved and tried. I love this website.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got my Clearview yesterday and put it on this morning. I had today off so I could go to the dentist and find out I need a crown, but I digress. The new 12" shield is about 1/2" shorter than the stock one and this makes it the perfect for my 6' frame. The flair puts the flow of air about 2" higher than the stock unit that barely cleared my helmet. This was one of their "Blemished" parts but I didn't see anything wrong with it.
So after installing the shield with a cut a bit lower then your original, your buffetting stopped? Could you share some more insight? I am wanting to do this to my bike and want to know as much before spending to get this.

Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
327 Posts
The buffeting zone is about 2 inches higher with the Clearview than with the stock shield. I guess this is due to the recurve at the top of the shield although you don't really notice it. I can look over the top of the windshield now without the buffeting. I'm glad it's a little shorter, I hate looking through the edge of the shield when going through a curve.
Overall it ws a good investment, I needed a new windshild anyway.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Great review thanks for taking the time to write it up, I have been thinking about a new shield for about 6 month now still riding with the stock on my Ultra. I think your review has made my decision and I will be the proud new owner of a Clearveiw re curve this month.

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
Thanks for the review. i ordered mine 3 weeks ago. i hope it arrives soon. i just cant wait to get rid of my Clockwerks. it looks cool but as you said i bought my roadglide for comfort too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Learned alot from your detailed review, thank you. I am trying to decide which heighth to get. I am 5' 11" and ride an "Ultimate" seat which adds at least an inch. I am preparing for a 2000 mile trip this June. I don't expect to get one in time but am still trying to gather as much info as possible so I can select the right size. Measuring up from the top of the speedo my eyes are approx. 17" high on a horizontal plan looking over the stock windshield. Any info from my fellow riders would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2009 Road Glide as well, and I have been less than happy with the wind/buffeting coming from the windshield. I am wondering how the Clearview windshield helps with a passengers wind and buffeting?

Any more insight on this issue is greatly appreciated, I have been a little shy to buy with out a try after trying the Klockwerks windshield.

Thanks Everyone

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
Since buying an 09 Road Glide several months ago, it was glaringly apparent from the beginning that with my 5' 10" carcass, the stock windshield at 12 1/2" high was the bikes primary shortcoming. I bought this motorcycle for comfort, styling and performance. The fact that it had a new frame and many other improvements was just icing on an already great cake. I was not prepared for the helmet buffeting which I was getting, but I understood why. So, I set about looking at all the options to eliminate the problem with a different windshield.

I started by going to several Harley shops and riders meets on Saturday mornings where there tends to be a large supply of bikes to look at. I learned that there are many riders out there who are not happy with their stock windshields (we are talking Road Glide owners here) but for whatever reason have not taken the plunge and tried something different. It is, after all, kind of expensive to start replacing windshields so you want to have your stuff in "one pile" before you write the check. In fairness, I found many Road Glide owners to be perfectly happy with the stock windshield. It seems to depend on your riding style and height. If you are cruising around town and most of your time is spent at less than 55 mph and you are not too tall, your probably OK. But, if you are a road rider who likes to cruise at modern interstate speeds for long periods of time and your height is approaching 6', you are probably getting your helmet and head tossed about pretty good. Enough to make your driving experience less than enjoyable at least.

After considerable homework, I decided that for me at least, the Clearview was my best bet. I liked the idea of the recurve at the top which uses the wind tunnel concept of streaming air over the top of the rider. It was also thicker than the stock windshield which did play hopscotch at anything less than 2500 rpms. In talking to the Harley shop, they did have taller windshields, but they were still thinner and did not have a recurve at the top, so that was not a viable option. I did talk to a number of Road Glide owners both in person and on the internet forums who had bought a Clearview and were having a problem with the right hand mirror coming in contact with their windshields when in the 'locked' parking position. That did seem to be a problem and in fairness the Clearview web site did admit to this. Another deciding factor was when the Clearview owner said that he shipped his windshields with a protective covering on them and as long as I didn't remove it or scratch it, I could return his windshield and swap it for something else if not happy. I would have to pay shipping but that was expected. The thing that swung the deal for me was when the owner (John) was telling me that he had made arrangements for the owner of a new 09 Road Glide to bring his bike in for a fitting. This was to address any changes which the MOTO company had made in design the last year or so. Then, back in late August he e-mails me and tells me that they had the 09, measured it and made a new windshield for it. They took the bike out for a test and the re-designed windshield was a keeper. At that point I was ready to pull the trigger.

After about 45 days I got a box from UPS with the Clearview shield for my Road Glide inside it. The box was pretty large for a windshield. Inside I found out why. This thing was packed like a fine watch. There must have been 10 pounds of shredded foam rubber in there. UPS could have dumped it out of an aircraft and it would have survived. Anyway it took all of 5 minutes to pull the stock windshield off and safely set it aside. The Clearview instructions were clear and precise. Short and sweet. All the wellnuts were installed on the windshield except the middle one which was shipped in a clear bag by itself. I took the extra wellnut out and pushed it into the fairing, then pulled its screw out to facilitate installing the windshield. The next step involved placing the new windshield on the fairing and pushing in the rubber wellnets into the holes. I started on the right hand side and with very little coaxing eased each wellnut into its respective hole in the fairing. Elapsed time, maybe 60 seconds. Then I took the screw from the center wellnet and screwed it in. The instructions said to screw them in until you started to feel resistance and then give it another 4 complete rounds. It worked perfectly.

Before installing the new Clearview. I laid it on top of the old stock Harley Windshield. It didn't take a design engineer to see that there was a big difference in shape. The Clearview was taller and a little wider. It was cut somewhat in an hourglass figure along the sides. I had ordered a +2'' windshield which would have put it at 14 1/2" tall measured from the top of the Harley logo on the speedo to the top of the windshield. In reality the new one turned out to be an exact 15" inches tall, which made it 2 1/2" inches taller than stock. Since the new windshield looked great, the extra 1/2" was not a concern because I purposely ordered it tall so I would look through the windshield instead of over it. I don't like to get hit by bugs or rocks from cars who suddenly pull in front of me on the highway so an extra 1/2" in height pleased me to no end.

OK, they say the proof is in the pudding, so the next thing was to head for the open road. Fifty miles per hour, everything is good. Sixty, this is where things usually start to go south. Steady as a rock! Seventy is looking good too. I am thinking, "hey, I can still hear the radio like I am going 35 mph and the exhaust sounds good too. There is zero head buffeting. At this point I raise my hand up above my 3/4 helmet to feel the air flow. It is calm until I raise my hand about 6 inches above the helmet. At this point I can feel a real rush of air as the recurve is doing it's thing. Just for the duece of it, I run up to 85 mph to see if anything changes. At this speed I can feel no buffeting and the stereo is still clear as a bell. I look for any visual imperfections, especially at the point where the recurve starts. There are none.
I figure if things are still good at this speed, all is well in Harleyville and any more speed at this point is just foolhardy and unnecessary. I know there are some who ride at speeds above 85 mph but for my old self, anytime I get up above 85 my sphincter mode sets in and tend to back off a wee bit. I have no doubt the windshield would still continue to perform well at this speed but I just don't have the tea bags for that sort of stuff any longer.

The bottom line here is that for me, the Clearview is an obvious winner. It transformed an already great motorcycle into a true dream high speed road machine. I don't own stock in any windshield company nor do I have any alliance with anyone who would benefit from my experience. I have never met the owner of Clearview other than via e-mail conversations so I don't owe him anything other than to say he treated me in a very professional manner. He said he has been making windshields for twenty years so this ain't his first rodeo. I have no experience with any of the other after market windshields made for Road Glides so I can't say this is the best in the world because I haven't tried all of them. The Clearview is what I tried and for my particular use it is great. I am kind of like an old woman though in that I am kind of fussy. Not to the point of being difficult but if something ain't right, I will tell you.
I relate my experience only to help others make an informed decision. You should do your own homework after listening to others like myself.
The Clearview company has a great reputation. I'm going to have them custom cut a replacement shield for my Sportster for winter riding this year. In the summer, you need some air to keep cool, in the winter the bigger the windshield and the less air the better.

Pete

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the 8" clearview on my SG and love it. Looks good and is functional as I'm the normal 5'10". I would have liked to tested the clockwerks as well. Maybe someday when I hit the lottery...

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
i went throug 3 windscreens on my roadglide. i thought the clearview was the best too. the shape has more of a sleek look to it. expensive but worth every penny. 85-90 on the fwy and no buffeting.:thumb

·
Registered
129 Posts
As someone else asked...

What about passenger buffeting? Many of us have these bikes for 2-up comfort, and I'm mainly concerned about my backrest being happy :)

Anyone have any experience to share?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts