Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 107 CI Fat Boy wants to lean to the left when riding and stationary. This is evidenced by the way the front tyre is wearing too. It is also evident if I ride either side of the road (both cambers). End result I am riding at an angle to the right to compensate.
The HD dealership said that that is normal and others have experienced the same. It is also true of the 114 CI models on their show room floor.
Has anyone found a fix for this yet?
I am going to place 9kg of led ingots in the right hand saddle bag which should correct this. Not desirable but what else can I do?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I guess there's just more weight on the left side... something about the design. My 09 FXSTC rides straight as an arrow when I let go of the bars. I wonder what is so much heavier on the left/lighter on the right on your bike than mine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The brains trust say that you have the primary etc on the left side. I say so what, design it properly.

·
weird member
1,935 Posts
The brains trust say that you have the primary etc on the left side. I say so what, design it properly.
If you look at it from above, at least on my Evo though I am sure it's the same for TCs and M8s, the engine and transmission are more to the right of the frame. Makes sense to balance the weight of all components (engine, trans, primary, etc) so that from the frame, the weight on both sides is equal. I can't imagine it wouldn't have been designed that way.

I don't know what the deal is, never heard this particular issue before. And no oftense to the MoCo, but a dealer is a dealer, and dealers sometimes don't know what they're talking about and sometimes are dishonest, as is the nature of all dealerships in any field, or even anyone privately trying to sell you on something.

I'm not saying they are wrong, but I might get a second opinion, see if other riders of newer Fatboys have the same issue before just taking the dealership's word on anything.

Talk to American and European riders, though I think the only difference is maybe in regard to fuel and exhaust regulation or something. But if there is differing mechanical requirements... maybe?

·
Registered
649 Posts
I would visit another dealership too, and get that second opinion . . . some guys at the dealerships talk a good talk, and that's probably why they are salesmen!

·
Registered
37,199 Posts
My 2018 107 CI Fat Boy wants to lean to the left when riding and stationary. This is evidenced by the way the front tyre is wearing too. It is also evident if I ride either side of the road (both cambers). End result I am riding at an angle to the right to compensate.
The HD dealership said that that is normal and others have experienced the same. It is also true of the 114 CI models on their show room floor.
Has anyone found a fix for this yet?
I am going to place 9kg of led ingots in the right hand saddle bag which should correct this. Not desirable but what else can I do?
You could align the rear wheel towards the left a bit.....

Seems simpler than carrying around a saddlebag full of lead weight....

·
Retired citizen
22,285 Posts
It's my experience that most Harleys are left side heavy. I notice this when I have bikes clamped onto my lift bench and jack the bike up with my scissors jack under the trans. The bikes always seem to lay to the left when lowering the scissors jack, both lift benches too.
If you analyze it closely the heavy things are on the left side. Shift linkage, side stand, inner primary guts, fuel pump hardware inside the tank. Maybe just enough to tip the scales.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could align the rear wheel towards the left a bit.....

Seems simpler than carrying around a saddlebag full of lead weight....
How would that effect the belt alignment then? I will ask the question of the dealership I guess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts