Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1984 FLHTC 1340
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the beginning of my chronological documentation for bringing my 1984 FLHTC 1340 ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC (DD) back to proper working order.
My introduction is here: A newbie to the forum, to HD, and the area

I recently moved to SE Kansas, and along with the property came this 1984 Harley-Davidson FLHTC 1340 Electra Glide Classic (DD). I'm new to motorcycles, and never worked on them before, so I was excited to think that I could possibly get this running, and drive it. I have a few friends that ride Harley's and it would be great to take a few road trips with them and see some of the country.
The bike was in a garage, and from the pictures I had seen before I bought the place, it was parked over a large pool of oil which had been covered in cat litter. The rear tire was flat. It did not have a battery. The bike was covered in dust, and had not been moved in a while, at least not on its own power. A friend found what he says is a motorcycle jack or lift near the bike in a corner of the garage.

In the box on the back I found the original owner’s manual, the original receipt of purchase from 1984, a Harley-Davidson Repair Manual, the original keys, and a new oil filter.
I moved the bike into more light.

1. Did this even start? No - needed a battery. I had a 12v battery that was in a riding mower left in the other garage. I took the battery, put it on a charger for a couple days, then tried to hook it up to the bike. The battery wouldn’t fit in the battery box, so I extended the two leads from the bike with 4ga welding cable and I made some battery lugs out of copper tubing. I bolted the two leads together with nuts and bolts, then taped them up. I hooked them to the battery correctly, but a little later got a spark show when the positive grounded out on something. hmmm… I’ll have to look into that. I remember calling it a night and undoing my nuts and bolts.

The first thing was to read through the Harley repair manual and see what I should do first.

What I found was that I should treat it as if it had been stored for the winter, as it did not have oil or gas. I changed the oil filter, which was a total cluster. It was on way too tight. I broke a filter wrench and used my largest set of channel locks to remove the old one. Oil did not smell burnt, so I put the new one on. I removed some little filter above the oil pump, cleaned it out and put it back in. I put in 4 qts of synthetic, checked for leaks and found two oil lines that were rubbing together under the bike and made a hole in one of them. Still, there’s more oil leaks all over. Anyway, I was tired of dealing with oil leaks so I moved on to battery again.

-TBC-

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
This might help when washing the bike and removing the dust . . . don't want to scratch anything.

·
Registered
Crazy Cat Man
650 Posts
First thing I would do is check the VIN at the DMV, and make sure you can get a title for it, before starting any work. Be a shame to put a lot of effort into it and not be able to get tags for it.
Been there done that with a '70 Road Runner. Was wicked pissed. Never again.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
The oil tank is above the engine and it's likely oil seeped past the check valve and filled the crankcase over the years. I suggest pulling the spark plugs and turning the motor over many times to get the oil out from under the pistons. Check your oil tank level before and after, it may change enough that you need to lower level. If you don't have a title, look up your state laws for the process of getting one. Then go to your local tag office early some morning with a box of goodies and ask for help. Tag office workers know shortcuts and being generous with compliments help get them flowing. That bike looks like it is in good condition.

·
Registered
1984 FLHTC 1340
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great comments and suggestions.
A bit more info; It was last registered in 2018 to the gentleman I bought the place from, however he did not intend on leaving it there. There is more to the story there, but I'm not posting it. I did call dmv and I have to file for a quiet registration to get the title in my name without a salvage title. It takes about 6 months, and $500, but I have time to fix it anyway.

·
Retired citizen
23,844 Posts
A bit more info; It was last registered in 2018 to the gentleman I bought the place from, however he did not intend on leaving it there. There is more to the story there, but I'm not posting it. I did call dmv and I have to file for a quiet registration to get the title in my name without a salvage title. It takes about 6 months, and $500, but I have time to fix it anyway.
If that's the case then I believe the bike still belongs to the person you bought the place from, just like if he would have left a car or truck.

·
Registered
1984 FLHTC 1340
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was told by my Realtor and the Sheriff that under Kansas law, everything on the property conveys at time of closing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
might want to check the fuel tank for rust as well, my dad's 61 sat around for a few years and it was full of rust lol. it's being restored now.

·
Registered
23,926 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Six months would be a nice short wait here in WA. Without title, we get the fun of a three year wait. :(

·
Registered
23,926 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Cool old bike. Hopefully you can be up and riding it soon. First year for the EVO motor too. It should be a 5 speed with a rubber mounted engine. There were some FLH's the were Shovelheads in the early '84 model year. Those were 4 speed trans and I don't believe they were rubber mounted. A tip for when you do ride it....lock the saddle bags. I have lost a couple of the old style lids like that. If you don't lock them, they can open and can slide forward enough to come off that tab in the front. Poof, it's gone. Lost one in the rain after a flat track race at the Lima OH. 1/2 mile. Went back to find it after a buddy told me. Found it. it must have landed bottom side down on the wet pavement and slid off to the shoulder. One small scratch on the bottom edge was all that happened.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts