21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Señor Member
19,710 Posts
Good stuff. Thanks for taking us along.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
I was told by my Realtor and the Sheriff that under Kansas law, everything on the property conveys at time of closing.

That may be the letter of the law, but if the seller did not intend to leave it, you are getting it in a less than honorable way. Unless the details you did not get into, involve details in your favor. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
That may be the letter of the law, but if the seller did not intend to leave it, you are getting it in a less than honorable way. Unless the details you did not get into, involve details in your favor. Just my opinion.
Some folks just think what's yours is theirs.

Reactions: tommytailspin

·
Registered
34 Posts
i'm sure the DMV can provide all the documentation on how to title it, you can do a vin search to see when it was last titled and see if it was lost or stolen. it's pretty much just paperwork and money, but can be done.

·
weird member
2,541 Posts
Yeah, if the guy didn't intend to leave it, it would be much easier and faster to offer to buy it from him and have him transfer the title. Maybe find a diplomatic way to bring up the fact that it looks like it hasn't been ridden since the day it was bought and that if he forgot about it in there, he won't miss it much, plus all the rehab it will need to get back to running order? I mean, you don't want to insult the guy, just convince him it's not worth his effort and better for him to just let it go.

Even if you pay him $1,000 for it, that's still a huge steal. Around here where I am, lower mileage Evos in good condition and running order sell for around $5,000-6,000 for a late-model (1993 and later), non-touring Wide Glide, Low Rider or Softail Custom type of bike in private sale. Not sure what something like a Heritage or a touring might go for, or what an early model (1984-1992) of any kind might be worth. Of course you could always check NADA and KBB for values. I dunno about KBB, but I know NADA tracks motorcycle values.

Reactions: olderccc

·
Retired citizen
23,881 Posts
Just a FYI fellas, the '84 FLH was the last production 80" Shovel with 4 spd. trans and came with the rear belt drive.
I know because I had one ! Looked just like the OP's but mine was red and no tourpak. Also the Batwing was hollow, I had to install a stereo with speakers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was told by my Realtor and the Sheriff that under Kansas law, everything on the property conveys at time of closing.
Quotes from your realtor and Sheriff will not impress a judge. If a personal loan was taken against the bike and had a lean there is no entity that can claim the vehicle without satisfying the lean first. Even vehicles taken by law enforcement in raids/stings/drug sweeps/investigations are given to the lean holder and if no payment issues between borrower-lender are given back at the lender's discretion. And this includes ANY lean from a mechanic's lean to cash for title lean to Bank of America lean, bail/bond lean, even as collateral on a loan between friends/family.

All that matters is if the proper paperwork was filed with DMV and the lean cannot be proven to be satisfied. The age/condition of vehicle means nothing if a lender agrees to loan against it.

That's just regular people law. We're clearly talking about an eviction and property seizure/forfeiture. It's great to live in a nation of laws with judges and properly filed papers to protect rights. But 1%er law is far greater and "rights" have nothing to do with anything in my former world where depending on who you are anything from making you choose between your ole lady working a couple nights at the strip club...or drinking from a straw for months...or signing over your title...or worse, to pay your debt is just how things are done and not even God can help a cop caller...that's the 1st thing the cops themselves will tell you.

They're called 1%ers for a reason, you have better odds on being hit by lightening than dealing with one & the odds only increase the closer your situation is to criminal activity. Since you seem legit enough to care about doing things right and legal, the only criminal concerns would be the evicted guy and a 1%er could be the least of the problems.

Make sure you do EVERYTHING right in case he's one of those that go to court over and over despite being told by judges they have no case, over and over. I'm not trying to overly freak you out, but you need to understand that NOTHING you have was by the owner's choice. I say that because of your conversation with the realtor and Sheriff tells me he didn't self forfeit, didn't attempt to liquidate like a person playing by the rules, but rather fought until eviction and still everything looks like they intended to stay. Pissed biker? Meth head? True Crime show court obsessed freak that will never let go? What he isn't is someone who plays by rules. Just know your game.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts