Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....and I think I would have been better off just parking the bike on a full size bed spread, pulling all three plugs and the filter, then throwing the bed spread away.

How can you drain 5 quarts of oil out of your bike and end up with 6 quarts on the garage floor ? That's the way it seemed anyway.

I did this change with the bike on a lift and the lift kind of got in my way.

Crankcase oil went ok...................for awhile.

Most of the transmission oil missed the bike lift oil trough.

Primary case went ok........................for awhile.

Once I got all three plugs out I went in the house to let 'em drain and grab a bite to eat.

When I came back out I think the heat from the oil expanded the cap on the $9 plastic oil catcher thing I had 'cause the cap had come off and all the oil that was in the catcher was on the garage floor.

I did the plastic bottle oil filter trick. Might as well just spun the filter off and let it drain on to the bike and drip on the floor, I ended up catching very little oil from the filter.

That went well, real well.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW I did 3.5 quarts Amsoil 20/50 in the engine,

1 quart Amsoil 20/50 in the tranny,

and 38 fluid oz Amsoil 10/40 in the Primary.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a storm drain about 1/4 block down the street.

Next oil change gets done along side the curb.

My garage floor is not epoxy paint, but it does have some sort of clear sealer on it, so clean up, while frustrating as hell, was not all that bad.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
There is a storm drain about 1/4 block down the street.

Next oil change gets done along side the curb.
Seen it done!!

It was 1975 or so, but I've seen it!

It may or may not have been a member of my family! :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Señor Member
19,666 Posts
Can I laugh now that you're all cleaned up?

:laugh

That sucks, man. The lift makes them juices tough to catch. Doing it on the floor makes access sucky.

Either way, you need a bigger pan, Mr. Brojangles.

Signed,
Master of the obvious.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Either way, you need a bigger pan,
Well..............NOW YOU TELL ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL, that's kind of funny too. I stopped to get a 13 inch deep side cake pan (like you'd use for lasagne). Well those darn things were $16 and in the automotive section they had this plastic container that you drain oil into with a screw on cap that you can remove and pour the used oil out of, that was only $9.

Like I say, the cap was on when I went in to eat, the cap and the oil were on the floor when I came back out.

·
Señor Member
19,666 Posts
Sorry, man.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was use to changing the oil in my old shovelhead. Never a problem. So the first time I changed the oil in my dyna I tried to be prepared with all of the catch and drain doodads that I thought I needed. So I went to drain the oil and needless to say it did not go smoothly. About 50/50 in the pan. Used a cat litter pan that I've used for car an bike changes for years. Low profile an enough capacity for even big jobs. Will be a learning experience as I go.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,349 Posts
I finally discovered that doing one drain hole at a time works best. Couple of bucks for an El Cheapo oil pan at Wally World, a few sheets of the morning paper...all set. After all is done with the draining and refilling, a bit of degreaser (or even Simple Green) applied to the underneath part of the scoot followed by a good hosing takes care of the stuff you didn't know was accumulating waiting for you to park on the clean garage floor.

I seem to remember the old drain by the curb trick from many years ago...seems I once saw it done (or maybe twice or a few more, I forget).

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,113 Posts
Well..............NOW YOU TELL ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL, that's kind of funny too. I stopped to get a 13 inch deep side cake pan (like you'd use for lasagne). Well those darn things were $16 and in the automotive section they had this plastic container that you drain oil into with a screw on cap that you can remove and pour the used oil out of, that was only $9.

Like I say, the cap was on when I went in to eat, the cap and the oil were on the floor when I came back out.
Block the bike level on the side stand and let it rip, no lift I only have jack and there is always something in the way if I use that :cussing thing.

I go to the dollar store and buy the disposable foil pans... then pour into large container I use for my truck.When they are bent and useless I chuck em. When that is full off to PEP Boys to leave the filters and oil for free.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^^good advice^^^

1 - 12 of 12 Posts