Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have my old battery cover for my bike that came off on I 890 at about 120mph one day...

So it sat on the shelf and I always said I would practice painting on it. Well...I finally did.

All I did was use some dark gray primer, and some blue dupli color paint I didn't need anymore cause I sold the vehicle it was color matched to.

Then I sprayed some clear coat over it, 2000 grit sandpaper on the high spots and got her all nice and smooth.

Finally a little compound, polish and wax and I think it looks good for someone who has never actually painted something correctly before.

I am going to eventually scratch it all up, dent it, key it and then try to fix it again so I can lean how to do advanced touch ups and stuff.

This is something I have always wanted to try so I am really excited to give it a go!

1426558939314.jpg
1426558952475.jpg

·
Registered
39,528 Posts
For rattle can paint, I've had pretty good luck with that Duplicolor.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems to work quite well..in theory paint is paint...if it is the same brand it doesn't really matter if it comes out of a can or a gun, it's just a matter of how long it takes really.

I figure the biggest thing I would trust myself to paint (after some serious practice) would be like a car door or something of that size so I figure it may take me longer but I could rattle can it all out....in the end would probably be cheaper than investing in a paint gun and all that because I'm not exactly planning on opening shop here lol.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Looks good and keep experimenting. I painted couple cars and motorcycles and even a few helmets. Last few times I just used nason urethane paint from parts store with good results. Friend of mine in high school started painting cars in tenth grade and has painted some stuff thats been in magazines bad thing is he takes for ever to do a car. All by himself takes them apart and paints and puts back together never has had any help.
I lived out in the country for a while and the guy down the road from me painted a old chevy truck that was full of rust he patched it with bondo and painted it between rain shower one day. It was two tone and it looked really good, year after it was a rusted P O S LOL

First thing I painted was a old bike I had. laid out everything and painted it and it looked good so next day I went out to the garage and the tank had a glaze on it but every thing else looked great I started stripping it and noticed a side cover had same glaze on it and I gently wiped it off with some stuff I had and the glaze came right off I was bent cause I didn't have to strip tank LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts