Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I’d run this by the collective wisdom here. I have a 2020 Heritage 107. Bikes been great got 13,000 miles on it.

No problems, until a couple days ago. Every time I hit 4000 rpms it stops, it feels like the bike turns the key off … 4000 then nothing! I made an appointment to have it looked at next Thursday, at the dealership since it’s still under warranty. Everyone at the Harley dealership I talked to has no idea what it could be. I’m thinking maybe a clogged fuel line, but there is no loss of power until it hits 4000 rpms. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Maybe something wrong with the rev limiter part of ECM? 4000 rpm's is too dangerous to ride? I wouldn't want to own one that shut off at 4000, but see no problem riding it to the dealership, as I don't often turn my tc to 4000.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe something wrong with the rev limiter part of ECM? 4000 rpm's is too dangerous to ride? I wouldn't want to own one that shut off at 4000, but see no problem riding it to the dealership, as I don't often turn my tc to 4000.
Thanks for the reply. I live less than a mile way from the Harley dealership, I made an appointment to have it checked out next Thursday. I can ride it no problem as long as it’s under 4000-4200 rpms. I normally don’t go that high either but I was trying to keep up with my son on a Yamaha FZ1. Ha!

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I live less than a mile way from the Harley dealership, I made an appointment to have it checked out next Thursday. I can ride it no problem as long as it’s under 4000-4200 rpms. I normally don’t go that high either but I was trying to keep up with my son on a Yamaha FZ1. Ha!
If your son is anywhere near smart azzed as my eldest is... Ya' might want to have the dealership upgrade to a stage 3, while its in for the rpm limiter check... Don't say nothin' to the kid, just surprise him with your tail lights! ;)
He will probably still get past, but not without earning it! (y)

• Haha
Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ha! My son has a real nice 2012 Sportster Classic. I have the FZ1, I had the ECU flashed on it and it’s a monster, 160 HP, faster than the R1, but the R1 has a higher top speed. He borrowed it to go riding with his friend who has an R1. Same engine in both bikes, I came along on the Heritage, very far behind. They would pull over and wait for me.

I don’t know how much power you get out of a 107 M8 stage 3, but I doubt it will beat a Yamaha in-line 4 R1 motor. Ha! All the HP kicks it at around 9000 to 12,000 rpms it’s sheer terror, and you hold on for dear life.

I will say oddly enough, both my son and I felt the Harleys are great in the curves, the Harleys you sit low in the saddle, on the sport bikes you are much higher, more effort to lean them over, but they are a bit more aggressive in the turns if yer able to push them hard.

The other day I was riding down to Madrid NM, a guy on a Harley was in front of me, he passed a truck, and I passed him, I had some AirPods in with noise cancellation, and listening to AC/AC, I wizzed by him, l looked down at the speedometer and I was going 130 mph felt like 80 mph if you don’t hear all that wind. I slowed down a bit and let him catch up, and he was riding my ass, some guys get pissed when you pass em, I think he was pissed. Lost him in the corners and straights, slowed down to let him catch up, again he’s riding my ass like he is gonna pass me. I’m thinking this guy is nuts all I got to do is light it up, and he’s once again in the dust. Had to slow down once we got to Madrid. I really enjoyed that little cat and mouse game. To make it worse I had my Harley jacket on. I haven’t ridin the Heritage all summer I’m more into my Liter bike. Just walked in the door from a 4 hour ride on the high road to Taos, felt like Valentino Rossi, passing every Harley on the road, too much fun.

hope it’s the rev-limiter and not a clogged fuel line, I might pull the tank and see before next Thursday. Will let ya all know, so if others have this problem, it might shed some light.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thought I’d run this by the collective wisdom here. I have a 2020 Heritage 107. Bikes been great got 13,000 miles on it.

No problems, until a couple days ago. Every time I hit 4000 rpms it stops, it feels like the bike turns the key off … 4000 then nothing! I made an appointment to have it looked at next Thursday, at the dealership since it’s still under warranty. Everyone at the Harley dealership I talked to has no idea what it could be. I’m thinking maybe a clogged fuel line, but there is no loss of power until it hits 4000 rpms. Any ideas?

View attachment 799219
Up and down in the 3000 RPM range all day long and I ride mine like I stole it, but can think of a time it
ever went into the 4000 rpm. range.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My FZ1 with the R1 in-line 4 redlines at 12,000, I hit 87 mph in first gear! 1 second of boredom followed by 3 seconds of sheer terror!

The 107 M8 redlines at 5500 rpms, I think it generates a whopping 84 HP at 4500 rpms, ( FZ1 170 HP) I’ve never taken the 107 above 4500. I used to putter around at 3000 rpms until I got the FZ1 which likes very high revs, now I find myself reving out the 107. I’ve heard conflicting views on what the rev range is good on the 107, some like to rev it up and say it’s good for the engine, I don’t know.

Now, I know you can’t be riding it like you stole it, cause the 107 M8 is tuned not to exceed 110 mph. I’ve had the FZ1 up to 150 mph with ease, far more stable than the Harleys at those speeds, at speeds exceeding 110 mph my 2020 Heritage starts to feel a little Squirrelly …. Not designed to do that.

Horses for courses!

·
Registered
11 Posts
have a 107 a fatboy. Under the battery there is a hole in the plate for the harness for the gbox sensor (speed?) to poke through. When I slid the battery out I noticed the harness being crushed by the battery (from new!). You might want to look there?

·
Retired citizen
24,357 Posts
4000 rpm in every gear or just top gear ? What did the dealer have to say about it ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
have a 107 a fatboy. Under the battery there is a hole in the plate for the harness for the gbox sensor (speed?) to poke through. When I slid the battery out I noticed the harness being crushed by the battery (from new!). You might want to look there?
Thanks! I made an appointment last week to take it in and actually forgot about it. I took it on a 5 hour trip last week and all was fine, the problem disappeared. I’ll check under the seat, couldn’t hurt.

·
Registered
2018 FLHCS 114ci, Woods 22x, Powervision, D&D Fatcat
69 Posts
Strange that it disappeared and usually means the issue is dormant not eliminated ... with any luck it won't return !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts