Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow HD rider!

I am new to the forum and I'd like to thank everyone who's answered me in my first question.

I rode my bike home today from work and notice a few things that are raising a red flag for me ( maybe I'm just paranoid), I am a new order also.

When riding I feel the bike shake more than normal and kinda clunks at certain RPMs. When I let go of the throttle and begin to brake I feel the handle bar shake and kinda rattles me.

On my previous post folks recommend I remap the bike, but now I'm more concerns of the excessive shake.

Recent mods: just added a pair of Vance and Hines 3" twin slash slip on mufflers with standard baffles they come with.

And I added the left side swing saddle bag.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
If the bars shake, only under braking, you've got a warped rotor or sticky caliber. You'd best have a shop check it for you, as you sound as if you are new to motorcycles and mechanics. You don't want to fool with brakes....they are your life!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is under braking, but it's also when I let of of the throttle without braking. I'm planning to take into the shop this weekend.

Just wanted to everyone's expertise since I'm wary about it.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
And I added the left side swing saddle bag.
I'm just spitballing here, but that's your problem right there.

But really, define shaky handlebars. I'm sure you've driven a car at some point and when the brake pedal gets a little shaky you know it's time for a brake job (well past time but you know what I mean). Same rule applies with a bike. You say you feel a shake when you let off the throttle and coast before braking; is it the same shake you get when you brake? Is it the same feel of excessive shaking/vibration you noticed after installing your pipes?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't believe the brakes are the issue, they grab on smoothly. Once I let go of the throttle and on certain RPMs (say between 2-3k) I feel the handle bar shake more than it use to, extra vibration.

Also, while I'm stopped and idling, I feel the engine shake/vibrate a little more than it use to with the stock mufflers. Could the mufflers really be the root cause?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Yes. When I removed my baffles the bike vibrated more, not much just enough to notice. Adjusted the needle (carb bike) and it fixed it. If the only thing you changed was the slip ons and now it's running differently, then yes it's the exhaust.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
In other words... It's running a tad leaner now. It needs to be adjusted a tad richer.

Any decel popping ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is decel popping actually. So I'm just being paranoid about it and need to adjust to the new pipes.

I am getting some quiet baffles today and plan put those in place. Do you believe this will reduce the poping and perhaps help with it being lean now?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Are you running any baffles now? Anytime you make a change to the intake or exhaust, it changes the way the engine runs; regardless of the severity. It may fix it, may not; either way it's running a little lean right now due to the change in the exhaust.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It has the standard baffles right now that are straight shot to my eyes.

However, I just got the quiet baffles today which I plan to install. I hope those help for the lean/richer matter.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Sit on the bike, off and in neutral firmly apply the front brake and rock it back and forth. If you get any movement where the triple trees attach to the frame you new your head bearings adjusted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts