Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 408 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting a thread on my shop. Been wanting to do this for a long time and finally have the property and the cash (Budget $35k, with $5k reserve). This is my "first rodeo" when it comes to building something like this. Hopefully, it turns out well. It will be for piddling around and maybe work on bikes when I retire.

I settled on a 30x40, 12' ceiling shop with an additional 10' overhang/porch (40x40 slab). The porch would face the house and the 10 x 10 door would face the road/driveway. An 8x8 door would be towards the back and lead to the porch. This would help get a good cross breeze as well as be an easy in/out for taking bikes out to wash them under the overhang. I set flags in the ground and walked around. It should be plenty big enough for 10+ bikes (like that would ever happen) and some room left over. the 12' ceiling would enable me to build a loft should I need more storage room in the future.

I am considering moving the shop straight back about 50' (towards the top of the survey). It would require a longer driveway (I just did chip and seal for the circular drive and it cost $4300) but it would be less trees removed (4 as opposed to 12) and the porch would face the firepit directly behind the house. The porch would then make an excellent "stage" for jams and such.

I am back to keeping the lift table portable and not sinking into the floor. More versatile, easier maintenance and flexible for rearrangement purposes.

Finding a contractor has been a bear. I had one spend 2 hours out there and he hasn't called me back after a couple attempts to get ahold of him over 2 weeks. The last one was out Monday evening, but he would only do the slab and suggest other contractors to finish it out. But no word yet on a price. They are the only 2 I could get to come out so far.

Mueller has a quote for $14.5k for building only. Miller (built @pipewizard shop and it is really nice) has a quote for $26k for building and slab, but land clearing, plumbing and electrical are on me. A coworker suggested checking the local hardware/lumber yard. I'll try to go there over sometime this weekend. I did contact Southland to quote doing it in logs to match the house but just the material was $50k. That is a deal breaker.

I am very anxious to break ground on this, but I don't want to jump if the deal isn't right. We are holding off on the house warming party until the shop is ready and I am hoping to have it ready before Texas Twister in October. I am only 30 miles from the Twister this year and I have bourbon and a fire pit, so I expect company.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This it the area to the right of the house where I propose to build. Picture the front even with the front of the house, or straight back about 50'. I really hate to kill any trees, but I don't see a way around it and I have 2+ more acres of tress in the back. the second pick is my new chip and seal drive. the fork to the right would lead towards the garage.

Attachments

·
avoider of idiots
6,581 Posts
Starting a thread on my shop. Been wanting to do this for a long time and finally have the property and the cash (Budget $35k, with $5k reserve). This is my "first rodeo" when it comes to building something like this. Hopefully, it turns out well. It will be for piddling around and maybe work on bikes when I retire.

I settled on a 30x40, 12' ceiling shop with an additional 10' overhang/porch (40x40 slab). The porch would face the house and the 10 x 10 door would face the road/driveway. An 8x8 door would be towards the back and lead to the porch. This would help get a good cross breeze as well as be an easy in/out for taking bikes out to wash them under the overhang. I set flags in the ground and walked around. It should be plenty big enough for 10+ bikes (like that would ever happen) and some room left over. the 12' ceiling would enable me to build a loft should I need more storage room in the future.

I am considering moving the shop straight back about 50' (towards the top of the survey). It would require a longer driveway (I just did chip and seal for the circular drive and it cost $4300) but it would be less trees removed (4 as opposed to 12) and the porch would face the firepit directly behind the house. The porch would then make an excellent "stage" for jams and such.

I am back to keeping the lift table portable and not sinking into the floor. More versatile, easier maintenance and flexible for rearrangement purposes.

Finding a contractor has been a bear. I had one spend 2 hours out there and he hasn't called me back after a couple attempts to get ahold of him over 2 weeks. The last one was out Monday evening, but he would only do the slab and suggest other contractors to finish it out. But no word yet on a price. They are the only 2 I could get to come out so far.

Mueller has a quote for $14.5k for building only. Miller (built @pipewizard shop and it is really nice) has a quote for $26k for building and slab, but land clearing, plumbing and electrical are on me. A coworker suggested checking the local hardware/lumber yard. I'll try to go there over sometime this weekend. I did contact Southland to quote doing it in logs to match the house but just the material was $50k. That is a deal breaker.

I am very anxious to break ground on this, but I don't want to jump if the deal isn't right. We are holding off on the house warming party until the shop is ready and I am hoping to have it ready before Texas Twister in October. I am only 30 miles from the Twister this year and I have bourbon and a fire pit, so I expect company.
roy....good luck with your project. ive always wanted a shop like that, and never was able to get one. the only difference mine would have is sunken bike lifts. just personal preference. but, id sure take a shop without em if that was my only option! remember the pictures when you get started. if i cant have my own shop, ill just look at pictures of yours!
dave

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,140 Posts
Ignorant as to tire changing tools. But can the same tools be used for car and truck tires as well? Just wondering because if you do open a shop, might be easy money if you can do auto tires as well. Look forward to the progress pics!

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
Great lookin plans Roy. Your gonna have a top shelf shop. Ya better keep it on the downlow, Dave63 will be wanting to move in....:laugh

·
Super Moderator
12,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds great!
have you seen these guys?

Prices include delivery and install.

https://www.alansfactoryoutlet.com/metal-garages
Interesting. They do not seem to be configurable (like my 10' overhang or 2 different garage door sizes). They have odd overall sizes too. I might give them a call this afternoon and see what they say. They don't look to be much cheaper than Mueller, who has facilities close by. I like the ability to go camp on their doorstep if things are not right.

Ignorant as to tire changing tools. But can the same tools be used for car and truck tires as well? Just wondering because if you do open a shop, might be easy money if you can do auto tires as well. Look forward to the progress pics!
I have not seen one that does either. I am scouting for a used no-mar motorcycle tire changer. They are not powered and run about $1k new. Hoping to find a used one for under $750. I don't really want to get into the tire changing business, but at $30 each, I think it will pay for itself with just my bikes pretty quickly. I wouldn't mind doing buddie's bikes when I can.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
That is going to be awesome. I would love to have something like that. I would consider putting a shower in the bathroom. It may sound silly, but the ability to rinse off without going into the house would be pretty handy. I might also put a big utility sink outside the bathroom.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
A shower is a great idea. You never know when you might get some chemical or something on you that needs washed off immediately or just something you don't want to get into the house.

·
Road Junkie
1,863 Posts
@gtrman66, a few thoughts on the floorploan:

1) x2 on the sink
2) Consider putting the air compressor in a closet...dang things are loud
3) Why is the table lift so close to the door? Consider moving it forward so that you can park bikes/equipment behind
4) Recommend insulating the walls and ceiling with foam, and consider insulated doors. Helps on heating/cooling and also makes it more soundproof
5) Consider HVAC - sure makes it nice year round and much more suitable for jam sessions
6) Need a beer fridge
7) Consider making a place for a large, hidden gun safe
8) Spend the $$ for enclosed cabinets vs wire shelving. Include a closet for your leathers. I re-purposed the ones from the kitchen when we remodeled.
9) I know your planned use is motorcycles, but the next owner may be into cars. Does the floorplan/door size and placement work for a car guy too?
10) Where does the big screen TV and killer sound system go? Seriously, consider running cable/internet/phone lines in the design. FYI, a metal building (or roof) will significantly impede (if not block) cell and wifi signals.

Not my first rodeo...sharing lessons learned.

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
If you ever plan on doing any automotive work in there if it's raining or anything, make sure you put a 12 foot wide by 12 foot tall rollup bay door. And also be sure to put a regular door entrance as well. If you have a boat, or ever plan on getting one, or a 4-wheeler or any sort of tractor, this will also be worth its weight in gold. :thumb

·
Registered
683 Posts
I do t know crap about nice shops like that, so I will offer no advise. I will just offer a fair warning that once it is done I may move in. Seriously, it sounds like a dream shop for sure. I can’t wait to see the final product and see the progress along the way. Enjoy the adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
Roy,
I am surprised that your plan calls for 6" concrete slab. In my neck of the woods, 4" is sufficient (3500 psi). A garage isn't a heavy structure by nature, so I wouldn't think that a thicker slab is necessary unless the soil in your area is poor. The soil here it is capable of 2000 psf.
You mentioned pushing the garage back 50', yet on your property survey there is a dashed blue line with a note that is obscured by the garage footprint. Is that dashed blue line a flood plane or other type of restricted section of your property?

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
A couple of other thoughts:
Do you need an additional 220v outlet for welding?
You may benefit by adding a utility sink outside of the bathroom. Otherwise, your lavatory sink is going to get pretty grungy.
Be sure to put some hose bibs around the exterior for washing bikes, parts, or the concrete deck.
Is the hot water tank going above the bathroom? Otherwise, you need room on the floor for it.

·
Registered
11,320 Posts
Good luck . Be very happy your not trying to build here in Kalifornia. Building permits would eat up your entire nest egg. Be left with a bunch paper and prints.

·
Poser Member # 99
17,325 Posts
A couple of other thoughts:
Do you need an additional 220v outlet for welding?
You may benefit by adding a utility sink outside of the bathroom. Otherwise, your lavatory sink is going to get pretty grungy.
Be sure to put some hose bibs around the exterior for washing bikes, parts, or the concrete deck.
Is the hot water tank going above the bathroom? Otherwise, you need room on the floor for it.
If he uses a on demand Hot water heater it don't take up much room. When we move I will be converting the existing hot water heater to a on demand . You can get electric now or gas / propane or natural

1 - 20 of 408 Posts