Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had charging issues this weekend. At idle it was only charging 11.5 volts. Braved sleet to put bike in the shop at local dealership yeserday. They checked it out today, said everything is perfect. Said maybe regulator was coming in and out. I know something is wrong and has to be fixed before it can be trusted. Since time is money, there's no telling where this will end up.

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,674 Posts
I hate intermittent issues, Everyone says just ride, drive or use until it goes out then you'll be able to find out whats going on...........while stranded somewhere!:what?

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I'd take short trips if I were you.

·
Retired citizen
23,369 Posts
Check the connector between the stator and regulator. Unplug, clean and replug. The connector is under the regulator.

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the connector between the stator and regulator. Unplug, clean and replug. The connector is under the regulator.
As it turned out they said there is a clamp that is supposed to hold the connector in place and it was broke. The first thing I checked was the connector. It seemed tight to me. Was only charged an hour labor and $8.00 for clamp. I'm gonna get up under it to see what this so called clamp looks like. Thanks for everybodies help and advice.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
hope that is it OC. I hate uncertainty

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
I had my compensator nut get loose and that resulted in my alternator rotor splines getting stripped. The alternator would charge fine when the driveline was under load going down the road, but in traffic conditions with a lot of stop and go and idling, the rotor was slipping and not charging. If you're bored and have some winter down time, it might be worth taking a peek inside the primary case to check that out. This drove me a little nutty until Schmidty put me on this trail. Thanks again, Schmidty!

--

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took a good look at the plug between my stator and regulator today. They have it held together with ty-raps! One around the side of the reg. and one around the front. They didn't even put the ty-rap ends underneath where it wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb. Also they supposedly fixed my front brake light switch, still the same. This kind of work I might expect from a shade tree mechanic, or a drunk monkey with a wrench. Not a HARLEY DAVIDSON DEALERSHIP! Totally NOT satisfied! Weather permitting tomorrow, I'm gonna ride back up there(if it makes it) and have words with the service manager. Don't have time today, plus I need to calm down a bit first. :mad:mad:mad

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Took a good look at the plug between my stator and regulator today. They have it held together with ty-raps! One around the side of the reg. and one around the front. They didn't even put the ty-rap ends underneath where it wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb. Also they supposedly fixed my front brake light switch, still the same. This kind of work I might expect from a shade tree mechanic, or a drunk monkey with a wrench. Not a HARLEY DAVIDSON DEALERSHIP! Totally NOT satisfied! Weather permitting tomorrow, I'm gonna ride back up there(if it makes it) and have words with the service manager. Don't have time today, plus I need to calm down a bit first. :mad:mad:mad

They would be correcting their screw up or the cops would be hauling me away!!!

Good luck with it!

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts

Good idea to count to ten first. Once you show the boss that nonsense, he'll hook you up with an apology and correction. And, hopefully a discount for all the BS. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As it turned out they said there is a clamp that is supposed to hold the connector in place and it was broke. The first thing I checked was the connector. It seemed tight to me. Was only charged an hour labor and $8.00 for clamp. I'm gonna get up under it to see what this so called clamp looks like. Thanks for everybodies help and advice.
Zip tie

·
Registered
39,541 Posts
That's an expensive zip tie. I think you can get a bag of 100 for that price, not counting labor.

·
luv the low country
19,251 Posts
Knowing you, you need to grab an ax and chop down about a half dozen trees to get ur temp down before you go aback to the hd dealership.:nod

1 - 14 of 14 Posts