Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the tradition of other threads where I document the changes... Here it goes.

Details on the bike: 2016 HD Softail Slim S in Olive Gold Denim
Purchased date: October 4, 2015
Miles on odometer: 6

Photo the day I bought it (transfered the Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz at the dealer)

Parts bought with the purchased of the bike:

Detachable Solo Rack - Part No. 50300099A
Black Dial Analog Speedometer/Tachometer - Part No. 74776-11A
Detachable Docking Hardware Kit - Part No. 53932-03A
Detachable Wind Splitter Vented Windshield - Part No. 57400159 (only to be used when going in long trips...)
7 in. Daymaker LED Headlamp - Part No. 67700242
Flush-Mount Fuel Cap and Gauge Kit - Part No. 75027-08C
Satin Black Billet Style Rear Brake Lever - Part No. 41800-08
Billet Style Heel/Toe Shift Lever - Standard Length - Part No. 34023-08
Burst Brake Pedal Pad - Part No. 50600104
Burst Shifter Peg - Part No. 33600032A
Burst Collection Hand Grips - Part No. 56100098A
Tribal Mirrors - Part No. 92398-09 (since I could not find matching Burst mirrors for it :confused: ) Edit: I now see that Edge Cut Dome Mirrors
Part No. 56000090 are available. I will get the dealer to order these instead.
Softail Swingarm Bag - Part No. 90200456
Screamin' Eagle Air Cleaner Insert - Part No. 61300299
Black Custom Shift Linkage - Part No. 34015-08

Installed:
Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz
Custom Dynamics Rear LEDs Turn Signals

Pending Ordering:
Nothing at this time

Planned mods:
Install Fat Bob Wheels that were previously in my HD48.

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The other mod that I want to do, in memory of my father, is to modify this cover and install a Marines coin on it...

The cover that comes with the Slim S is concave so the coin would not stick well there... I happen to have one that is flat. I will paint the border black, leave just the trim around the coin polished/unpainted.

At least that was the initial plan... after thinking about it and looking at how the final product would look better, I ended up using some two-part epoxy putty adhesive and installing it on the stock cover.

·
Super Moderator
4,456 Posts
Sounds great look forward to all of the pics! If you need a USMC coin or anything, I work 2 miles from the Marine Corps Museum and I work on MCB Quantico.

Reactions: wachuko

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Baby steps.. installing what I have...

These tend to break when you least expected... so changing to one with heim joints.

Once the stock unit is remove, install cover with spacer in between cover and lever

A little bit of blue loctite on all bolts... install the linkage. Some blue loctite also on the threaded rod, tighten the nut against the center piece and you are done...

I also removed the rear shift lever... hate it as it is always getting in the way with my boots... nice billet styled, in black, shift lever is coming, but this will do for now.

As I mentioned earlier... today was all about removing the stuff from my Sportster so that I can take it to the dealer in the morning... that is done and now I can spend some time installing the few things I have for the Slim S... good night!

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Installed the luggage rack supports...

I had the black covers from the rack supports of the Sportster 48 and those from the Road King... RK covers works great in the front as it covers everything...where the covers from the 48 only cover the plastic portion, leaving the chrome section visible... so using RK covers in the front and the 48 covers for the back.

On the rear mount, for the black covers, I will need to make a notch on the cover so that it goes in all the way. The rear lights are too close to the mount to let the cap go in all the way.

I am going to hold off on making any changes to the cover until the solo rack comes in. Looking at the photo in the HD catalog, they are using a different turn signal base and look at how close that rack mount is :eek-surprise

Any modification, I will make it to the rack... I like the looks of the existing turn signals.

And also installed the front bag that I had on the 48... that is all for now.

·
luv the low country
19,253 Posts
Nice job so far, great looking bike!

Reactions: wachuko

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Baby steps... can't wait for the rest of the stuff to arrive so that I can finish with these small mods...

I had a set of Get-A-Grips grips that I love to use...had them in my CVO. But got these as well with the purchase of the bike. I will give them a try and switch to the Get-a-Grip if they end up not being as comfortable...

Pardon the mess in the back...garage cleaning and organazing is a work in progress, lol

Black frame for the tag (carry over from the 48)...

Really hated that sticker on the air cleaner...gone!

Dealer forgot to install the pig-tail for the battery charger... got that today from them. Installed and charger connected. Sleep well my baby...sleep well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm surprised on the noise level of the 110. It isn't super loud, but it also isn't quiet either. I think I'm gonna leave the exhaust alone on my fatboy s. What are your thoughts?
Sweet bike by the way.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40,083 Posts
Dig that paint scheme. :thumb

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm surprised on the noise level of the 110. It isn't super loud, but it also isn't quiet either. I think I'm gonna leave the exhaust alone on my fatboy s. What are your thoughts?
Sweet bike by the way.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
Same here... I actually like how the stock exhaust looks on this bike and have not found an aftermarket that looks better... so not in a rush to change it.

In my case, it is quiet... so maybe down the line I just put on some slip-ons for an additional bark without changing the looks too much... but again, fine for now.

Enjoy your bike as well. The additional torque on these bikes with the 110 just make them pull like a train!

·
Registered
82 Posts
all that great work on the 48 and now gone crazy, sick softail congrats what did you do with all the parts ? did you trade it in with that bobcat exhaust?

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
all that great work on the 48 and now gone crazy, sick softail congrats what did you do with all the parts ? did you trade it in with that bobcat exhaust?
I took off almost everything from the 48...but left the exhaust and intake on it... I plan to make a thread to list and sell all the parts.

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:smile

I went ahead and ordered the spacer to mount the Fat Bob wheel in the rear. Thank you! It was 27.00 delivered. The spacer is 1/2 inch thick.. part number #3912. Be aware that part number does not show up until you get to the cart...

Would be cool if HD used that approach, it would be easier to change wheels around...

Here is a photo of the stock rear wheel hub:

And of a Sportster wheel with the spacer in place. I will get mine painted or powder coated black...

In the front, I do not foresee any issues... standard everything should work. I am so glad that I did not make modifications to the wheel when I fitted it to the 48 . Cool!

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A few more things came in... still waiting on the flush mounted fuel caps, air cleaner insert, mirrors, windshield, rack, and bag...

Got the rear pedal and lever replaced with black units and nicer pads..

Removal of the old ones is easy...just loosen the bolt with at T-40, remove that cotter pin... remove lever, replace with new one and install those items back. Remember the o-rings as you install the lever back. Make sure those don't fall off... new lever comes with new o-rings and pin as well...

Before

After

Now for the shift lever...

That one was easier...

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Let's do the LED headlight. Remember to cover the front fender with a towel, or if you have the HD cover for that, use it.

Just remove this bolt, turn the ring a few degrees and it will release via the notches that it has...

Remove ring holding the headlight, three bolts holding that inner ring... hold the headlight as you remove the last bolt...

Plug in the harness...

Plug headlight and insert into headlight bucket, place new (black in my case) inner ring and secure in place...

Now to install the outside headlight trim...

And we are done with the headlight... let's turn it on to test...

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Let's do the speedometer...

Only one nut holding the housing. Do not let the wrench touch the metal underneath to avoid scratches... if you like, place some masking tape around the bottom...

Lift and disconnect everything... easy to do and you will not get confused installing back as everything has a different plug. Also remove the four small bolts holding the push button housing.

I completely removed the housing to make it easier to insert the new speedometer back inside the comfort of my home...

The red securing ring easily pushes out of the tabs and comes free...

A gentle push from inside and the speedometer comes out with the gasket

Verify that everything is working fine... later I will decide on the color to use on the LEDs... right now I just wanted to make sure that everything was working.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts