Harley Davidson Forums banner
21 - 40 of 119 Posts

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Very nice. Curious if the new gauge cluster shows you which gear you're in all the time? Or do you have to select that info vs say odometer, etc.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
I will report back when I take it for a ride... working on the fans and the front wheel. Back in a few. :wink

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Installed the Wards Werks Cooling Fans - take offs from my RK CVO... great fans to cool down the engine.

Also working on the front wheel... because this has ABS...and the 48 did not, I am going to have to remove the parts from the Slim wheel to transfer to the Fat Bob wheel... some tinkering required...

But I like how it looks!!

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I need to be more specific :) . What I meant to say is that the wheel bearings on the Slim S has the ABS encoder (Part No. 9252). The bearings that I have in the FB wheels does not... So I either remove the bearing from the Slim wheel or order a new one... I will try to remove it. I have the tool for it.

I will also need a different spacer on the right side... hummmm... I will either have to order one in the right width or modify one that I have, to add to the stock unit. I much prefer to have just one in the right width and not add... will order one once I have the correct dimensions for it.

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
A few photos removing the ABS wheel bearing. Tool works great! First time I use it to remove the bearings... and I did practice a lot since I forgot the inside spacer when installing back on the FB wheel, lol!!!

Also, I ordered a few different size spacers from eBay... should be here next week. I hope that I do not have to take the front wheel to a machine shop to modify for fitment..

Got to go... food is ready and I see a few beers with my name on them! Good night!

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hi there , I have been playing with Harley wheels for the last five years , as a option if you run out of space a solution would be to mount the ABS bearing on the other side as you have notes it is a little thicker then a normal bearing and routing the ABS pick up wire to the other side it is a breeze . The Abs will work as normal and will not display a fault code , I done that and the wheel was death centre in relation to the fork tubes . The rear it is a breeze.

Bike looks good like you a picked up a S model on Saturday , right now not game to change anything , sorry It is a lie got the S/E cannon with caps he he he love . post picture soon like you I have switchback wheels sitting right there saying swap me swap me

Ride safe Dynaunder
Dynaunder, thank you for the suggestion. But I think you are overlooking that I am trying to use a Dyna wheel in the front. These have symmetrical hubs. If I just move the ABS bearing and pick-up sensor to the other side, I would just be moving the wheel to the opposite side.

Here is what I have today (I just inserted a 1/4" square stock I had between the fork and spacer on that side to take the photos correctly:

Right side

Left (rotor) side:

Without making modifications to the wheel... I would have to cut down the spacer in the pick up sensor 1/4" and then increase the spacer on the right side to 1". That would center the wheel.

This sensor alone is 80.00... must be careful when milling the 1/4" off it...

After that, I would have to cut the caliper by 1/4" to compensate for moving the rotor 1/4" more to the left... That would make everything work...

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Okay... order for the spacers done (got a set that comes with several sizes...). I should be set for the front wheel swap...

Order for the spacer for the rear wheel was done a few days back... so all good there

Now to go to the dealer and buy two ABS wheel bearings. I want to keep the stock wheels ready to be used...

I also ordered the right side tear drop toolbox from J&P Cycles...

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Removed the bearings from the rear Fat Bob wheel and installed the ABS bearing. Also installed bearings back into the stock front wheel. Every wheel is ready to be used if needed.

Here is the non-ABS (left) next to the ABS bearing (right)...

Installing bearings back in the stock wheel... ABS bearing gets installed first. This time I remembered to insert the inner spacer before installing the right side bearing.

Bearings removed from the FB rear wheel...

Also took the time to remove the tire, and installed it back in the correct rotation direction for this bike... Done for today. Once the spacers get here I will continue working on the bike.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Wow, still cant believe you went from the cvo road glide to the cvo road king to a soft tail slim and built the 48 and got rid or that too. All within a couple of years. My wife would have killed me by now for sure. You seem to really enjoy the building part of the whole thing. Love all your bikes. Cant believe the Road king and 48 are gone. Hope you didnt take too much of a bath on the trade ins. The dealer must really love you, lol.:eek-surprise

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
..My wife would have killed me by now for sure...
Even my wife changes her hair and looks from time to time to avoid me trading her in... :grin

The story behind the scenes is that I need to buy a truck and needed to drop my monthly $ commitment to be able to do so... but just could not be without a bike...

On other news: Rear wheel spacer is in!

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Installing the rear wheel...

Just a quick comment... Look at the rear sensor. The spacer is separate from the sensor (40615-08 with housing 72607-08)... If the connector/plugs are the same as the front (at it looks to be that way from the parts diagram!!) I should be able to just use a rear sensor, with the correct spacer for the front setup, and be done with the front!! :icon_dance-twist: Much simpler solution... I will order a rear sensor tomorrow...

Anyway, back to the rear wheel...start by removing the top muffler...

Remove the axle covers...

Remove caliper bolts

Cut the black tie-wrap holding the ABS sensor to the brake line... there is also an additional clip to remove...

Undo the bolts that hold the tire back to tension the belt and keep the wheel straight... I just counted the turns to loosen them so that I could easily put them back as they were...

Remove the cir-clip, and loosen the nut on the right side... slide the axle out. The ABS sensor, spacer, and caliper bracket will come loose... with the bike high enough, the wheel will roll out the back...

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Now to move the brake rotor and pulley to the FB wheel... I had some chromed bolts and replaced the ones that came with the Slim...

Spacer in place

Well... looks like I forgot to take a photo of the pulley installed... oh well...

I looked under the fender to make sure that noting protruded... making sure that there was nothing under there that could damage the wheel...

Let's slide the FB wheel in... THE ONLY MOD BESIDES THE 1/2 PULLEY SPACER IS A 3 MM SPACER ON THE LEFT SIDE!! I had forgotten about this from the Sportster install!!

Here I am sitting on the bike and bouncing on it and rolling back and forth... to see if there is any rubbing... nothing... everything seems to fit fine...

It completely fills the fender... but no rubbing that I could see... will know for sure once I take it out for a ride.

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Rack, Windshield are in...

Mirrors came in...

Cover insert came in...

Installing the flush mount covers for gas and fuel gauge in tank...

You have to remove the pins from the plug to be able to pull the old gas gauge out... this tool came handy for that. A very thin flat screwdriver also works.

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I need to decide if I modify the rack or give up the nice-looking turn signal base/mount... and I really like the base of the rear turn signals and do not want to give that up for the few times a rack would be install...

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I just did the relocation kit on my fatboy. Looks basically the same to me.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
Jim, do you have the part number you used? Can you share some photos?

Is it this one? Turn Signal Relocation Kit P/N 54296-11

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
On the relocation kit... reading some feedback in the HD site for that kit..

MAJOR ADDITIONAL PARTS REQUIRED FOR INSTALLATION ON FLS SLIM
September 5, 2014

The instructions were complete (with the exception of what I discuss below), well written, and easy to follow. It would be nice if a plain spacer was provided for use in place of the docking point bushing, part number 67621-94.

The instructions do state "Separate purchase and installation of additional parts or accessories may be required for proper installation of this kit on your model motorcycle". However, more information should be provided.

Installing this kit requires you to also install the License Plate Relocation Kit which is an additional $110. This Turn Signal Relocation Kit is shown to only be used on the FLS Slim. Since it is a specific model kit the instructions certainly should give the buyer this important piece of information. I noticed the issue after the Turn Signal Relocation Kit had been ordered and was able to order the License Plate Relocation Kit the next day so my installation wasn't delayed.

How many people have received the Turn Signal Relocation Kit, started installation #which requires removal of the fender#, and then realized the stock license plate mount won't work now? Well durn it all, what now? Do I put it back together until I figure out what to do? Or is the bike down until this gets resolved?

21 - 40 of 119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.