Harley Davidson Forums banner
41 - 60 of 119 Posts

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
My plate is also in a different place (middle of fender) so I can't really help ya with that part. Hopefully you can come up with something, it appears you're creative. :)

Jim

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
I am not going to do that..not going to replace the tag, replace the turn signal mounts, etc... forget that!

I will:

1. Move the rear docking points to the front, move the front ones to the back...
2. Grind the supports off the rack, weld the front one in the back, weld the back one in the front...I can't simply flip the rack around... HD welded the front supports facing back and that will not allow me to just install it backwards since the support also hit the lights... so those mounting plates need to come off...
3. Powder coat the rack again

and that will allow me to keep the lights and tag holder intact...

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Sounds like a plan. Good luck.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
There was another suggestion that was made...

Regarding the HD license plate relocation kit...

...GreatBikeGear came out with a design similar to mine but cleaner looking. (They already had one for the Wide Glide; that's where I got my idea.)

Anyway, they now have one for the Slim. I think this solves the problems of saving the aero stalks and not having a super ugly reflector-laden monstrosity on the fender.

Turn Signal and License Plate Relocation Kit for 2011-2013FXS BLACKLINE, 2012 and Later FLS SOFTAIL SLIM

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Went to pick up the ABS sensor... had ordered two different ones. Turns out, one of the two is a perfect fit, but the connector is different.

Decided to use that one and modify the connector...

Here, see the difference in thickness...

A new 7/8" spacer on the other side...

Look at that! Much better... I just hope the ABS sensor works as it should...

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
Looks like I will be able to finish the wheels tonight. All the spacers came in. Finished installing the front sensor last night... so the front wheel is in place.

Tonight I will:

1. Modify front caliper by removing 1/8" of each mount point. This will make it align with the new position of the rotor.
2. Remove rear wheel. Remove rotor to be able to put in the dynabeads. Install rotor, install wheel using a new spacer that is 1/8" longer than stock, to clear belt pulley.
3. Install mufflers and axle covers... be done with the rear setup.
4. I usually do not have issues with side reflectors... but what was HD thinking when they did the rear ones?? A better approach would have been to install them in the indent of the side support... between the two bolts used for the docking hardware. There is space there for installing a decent side reflector and it would have looked so much better than sticking it to the side of the painted fender :icon_rolleyes: Anyway, all that to say that I will be removing that rear reflector... yuk!
5. Waiting on a few parts to be able to test the Windsplitter windshield that I got with the bike... not a straight bolt on from the box since I do not have auxiliary lights...
6. Waiting on the HD side/swingarm mounted bag. Still a couple of weeks before that gets in...
7. Need a helmet lock. What I have does not work on this bike. Just need to get the same one but with the correct size.
8. Figure out a bracket to install the black metal toolbox... love the looks of that thing...

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
That is one sweet looking ride. Nice work. :)

Jonathan
Thank you! :smile

Rear wheel done!

I will do the caliper mod tomorrow and finish the front... and then out for a ride!

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Side note...father-in-law just loves to mess with my head... he would stop by to look and sometimes help with what I am doing... but he likes to take a bolt and put it next to where I am working... just so that I go nuts trying to figure out why I have a bolt left... sob! hahahahaha

Anyway, let's modify the caliper...

One side done...

Let's do the other side...

Caliper done...

and mounted...

I took it out for a test ride and noticed some rubbing of the rear tire on the fender... father-in-law suggested adding a spacer (washer) to the inside of the mount. That did the trick. No rubbing anywhere!!

Here, take a look...I will later make it flat on the sides so that it goes into the slot... but for now, it works like that with no rubbing at all and plenty of clearance.

IT IS DONE!!!!

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Took it for a ride... did several panics stops with front brake... ABS kicked in without issues... did the same with the rear brake, ABS worked fine as well...

Took it over some bad roads to test suspension travel and the new wheels...

Looks like everything is working as expected.:icon_dance-twist:

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
Am I the only one thinking all that for some diff wheels.. But I do like the 110 slim
For me, a lot of the fun is in the build ;)

Plus I had the wheels with the tires already from the 48... With the wheels being black and the black theme in this bike, I had to mount them on the Slim S.

Photo as of Oct 18, 2015

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Toolbox did not come in today... still waiting for it.

I received the brackets for the windshield... chrome does not go with the black forks. I am going to have to get these powder coated black...

Not sure I documented this... since I want to install the Windsplitter Windshield on my bike, and since my bike does not have the auxiliary lights required for the windshield to install properly... I will need the following to make it work:

1 piece -Vented Wind Splitter Windshield-57400159 - Got it!
1 kit -Harley FLSTF Bracket Kit for 100th Anniv Windshield 58810-02 - Got these today!
1 package -Spacer (2 pieces) 5885 - ordered from the local dealer. Should be here on Friday.

Power Vision installed... information sent to Brian/Jamie @ fuelmoto for the new license. I was not planning on getting this since I have no plans to change exhaust and ac... but since I had the unit, and since I like to look at all the parameters that the PV displays... Anywat, figured it would be good to run a tune from Fuel Moto for a stock setup (should be better than want HD loaded to meet EPA) and also be able to download one in the event of future mods...

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I was sad to see the 48 go but this is also hot. Are the mirrors made to look like pistons? Enjoying your mods as always. Thanks for taking the time for all the pictures.

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I was sad to see the 48 go but this is also hot. Are the mirrors made to look like pistons? Enjoying your mods as always. Thanks for taking the time for all the pictures.
Me too... loved that 48..

The mirrors are just edge cut.

On another note. Installed the tear drop metal toolbox... not made to fit with stock exhaust... but nothing a few modifications here and there can't fix.

I made modifications to the bracket and painted it black...

Modified from this:

To this... to make it follow the lines on the fender brackets and not come close to the seat...

These are all the parts needed...I had that spacer laying around..and made a flat plate with two holes to attach to the spacer and the bottom of the toolbox bracket.

Parts painted:

Bottom bracket with spacer in place...

Main bracket in place...

And we are done! Tools in pouch and already inside the toolbox :smile I like it!!

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
heya, is everyone from the other site on this one too, lol
Nope... I started in this forum when I first got my 2011 RGC. Great bunch of guys.

On other news: I have the brackets and spacers for the windshield. Need to get these powder coated black... but will test fit everything and take a couple of photos. The bike will be with out a windshield most of the time. Only plan to use it during long trips...

Swing arm bag mounted.

41 - 60 of 119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.