Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Too bad I can't ride the [email protected] thing for another solid month. As you can see in the pics, here in the Northeast we're still buried under about 4 feet of snow.

Like I was tellin the dudes over in the Sportster forum.... I have one minor difficulty with it so far, and that's the way it starts up. Kinna sounds like it's hesitating. Now granted, i'm going from a 1200 sportster to this, so i do realize the engine is bigger. Not sure if that'd make any difference, but it kinna turns over much slower than my sporty did. Like, his the starter, and it turns over, hesitates, turns over another 1 or 2 times, hesitates, then fires. Do u guys think there could be an issue with the starter or battery? I've provided a video below...

Attachments

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Congrats on the new skooter!

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Congrats.......Sounds perfectly normal.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
looks great, sounds normal to me.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Too bad I can't ride the [email protected] thing for another solid month. As you can see in the pics, here in the Northeast we're still buried under about 4 feet of snow.

Like I was tellin the dudes over in the Sportster forum.... I have one minor difficulty with it so far, and that's the way it starts up. Kinna sounds like it's hesitating. Now granted, i'm going from a 1200 sportster to this, so i do realize the engine is bigger. Not sure if that'd make any difference, but it kinna turns over much slower than my sporty did. Like, his the starter, and it turns over, hesitates, turns over another 1 or 2 times, hesitates, then fires. Do u guys think there could be an issue with the starter or battery? I've provided a video below...
My Dyna does the same if the battery isn't fully charged. If it gets rode every day it's fine, but if it sits for a couple / few days it cranks a little hard on the first start. After that it's all good. Now if I put it on a tender it's a non-issue. To me it is a HD issue that gets ignored. Too small a battery or something. I sometimes leave my truck sit for days on end, and it fires the instant I touch the key.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My Dyna does the same if the battery isn't fully charged. If it gets rode every day it's fine, but if it sits for a couple / few days it cranks a little hard on the first start. After that it's all good. Now if I put it on a tender it's a non-issue. To me it is a HD issue that gets ignored. Too small a battery or something. I sometimes leave my truck sit for days on end, and it fires the instant I touch the key.

Well that's kinna what I'm getting at. Like, my sporty for example, never hesitated like this, and frankly, if its a reliable startup i don't really give a rip, it just sounds kinna, off. That's all.

Either way, at the 10k service i do plan on replacing the battery too, as it IS a 2009, it couldn't hurt, right? Not knowing the history of the thing who knows what kind of shape the stock battery is in.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And btw, thanks you guys for all the kind wishes... GOD i'm just dying for spring. Here in the Northeast we're all f'n winter-weary, and now that i've purchased this new damn bike, i'm about ready to f'n lose my $h1t.

·
Señor Member
19,803 Posts
And btw, thanks you guys for all the kind wishes... GOD i'm just dying for spring. Here in the Northeast we're all f'n winter-weary, and now that i've purchased this new damn bike, i'm about ready to f'n lose my $h1t.

Congrats. Won't be long now.

·
Be alive!
131 Posts
Congrats bro ...

I have original HD battery for 7 years and yesterday I change it. If you have a battery charger than would be no problem to charge it ower the night or for two days. It wood be good for one or two years. Original battery last more than all other brands ...

That was in my case for the rest of guys I do not know.

·
Registered
42,150 Posts
Like, his the starter, and it turns over, hesitates, turns over another 1 or 2 times, hesitates, then fires. Do u guys think there could be an issue with the starter or battery? I've provided a video below...
Mine doesn't hesitate like that.

Double check both ends of battery cables to make sure they are tight, and make sure battery is fully charged.

I also put Taylor 2ga battery cables on my bike over the winter, and I have compression releases.
But even if I forget to use the compression releases, it doesn't hesitate like that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Kainam, this brings up a good point. Since I moved to wintery weather like a lot of you, I wanted to see what I need to do for next winter. I had my 2013 Dyna in the garage, I kept it heated and on trickle charge. I fired her up about once a week and let her rev and purr. Should I get oil changed now even though I have about 2K miles on the oil in there? My last oil change was August 2014 and has very low mileage since we were moving. Any other tips you guys recommend?

·
Registered
42,150 Posts
I would go ahead and change the oil since you started it up once a week.

Next winter, I wouldn't start it up unless you plan on going on a 30 minute ride or more.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! FXD's are Harley's best bikes, IMHO. You should have a battery tender plug-in hanging somewhere near the battery. I'd get a battery tender on there asap. Sounds like your battery needs a little charging. That's a great looking bike, now make it yours! Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts