Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I finally closed the deal and took my new Fat Boy home, which is a Dead Man’s Bike.

The original owner purchased it new two years ago from a local dealer. He had just retired and planned to do some riding. Unfortunately, he suffered a sudden heart attack and died having ridden only 1200 miles one year after buying it. I am the same age as the original owner was when he died, but I've had heart surgery so I should be good-to-go. The bike was well cared for this past year by a family friend who rode it each month to keep the battery charged up, and the engine and gas fresh.

I had been looking for a good clean, original, low mileage, unmolested Fat Boy for almost 3 months now. I found this bike about 2+ months ago, it's a 2013 Fat Boy with only 1300 miles… I have been talking with the deceased owner’s daughter since then, trying to come to an agreed price. We finally agreed last week, and how she’s mine.

Having agreed on price, we then had a ton of paperwork to do at the DMV because the surviving daughter, who inherited his estate, had not transferred the title from her Dad’s estate to her name. So two days and two visits to the DMV later, with a stack of signed forms, copies of the death certificate and estate/trust paperwork, we were able to transfer the title to me. The bike is now officially mine!

My first mod was to take the WindVest windshield off as it's too short, the top edge (at eye height) interfered with my vision, my head was up above the shield so off it came!

Here she is… Wish me luck that I get to enjoy her for a long, long time!

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sad but sweet at the same time. thats a pretty scoot. im not much of a chrome guy , but i do like that scoot. congrats .

Yea, it's shame when someone is just about to enjoy themselves after all the years of working, and then to have that happen. I feel lucky to have it and now keep the bike going, doing what it was supposed to do for the original owner.

You ever get over to the Rods on the Bluff, at the Park Place Shopping center, at Palm and Nees??? I was there last month, will probably be there Friday... I don't live in Fresno, but was born there and have family and friends there.

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
Congrats!

I received, my Fat Bob in a similar manner, except I knew the person, he was quite sick and bought the bike and put 90 miles on it, then was to sick to ride. After he passed, I ended up with the scoot and I'll probably have it until I croak too. Hopefully with loads of miles on it.

·
Vile Deplorable
1,448 Posts
My uncle retired after building churches all through Canada and died the day after he retired. This kinda thing happens too often.

Congrats on the "new" bike!

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Congratulations! The Fat Boy is my favorite of all the soft tails. You got a beautiful scoot right there.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice scooter.
Maybe think of him when you get on the bike.
Take him along on some of those rides he always
wanted to take.
Maybe fulfill his Dreams !?
Can't hurt!
Be Safe
That's kind of how I feel about it. After reading his obituary (was
on line) he and I shared a lot of common interests, and similar life
experiences. Never met the guy, but did meet his friends and
daughter as we went through the buying process.

It's a real shame, he had just retired and bought the bike new.
He put 1200 miles on it, then passed away. I am sure he had plans
for his new Fat Boy. I am assuming they were similar to my plans.
I have also just retired and plan to do the riding I never had
the time to do, when I worked.

I feel honored to have the bike, and feel it's still his bike, I just
happen to have possession of it now. And I am sure he is looking
down smiling, enjoying the ride on his bike.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts