Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Indecisive Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my desire to get a go-pro or other good camera to mount on my bike is strong, but my wallet is saying F.U.! I did recently purchase a ram mount to mount my phone to the handle bars. I decided yesterday to see how it would work out trying to use my phone as a camera and I'm not disapointed for what it is. The phone was a galaxy note 4 which I set to record at 720p to save on size... Maybe I'll try it again in 4k UHD just to see how it looks, but since I had it recorded I figure I would post it. It does have a neat little surprise around the 4 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrrrqctl73w

·
Indecisive Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I must say you have a very feeble voice it seems.

The video on that did seem pretty good. How is the battery life and is there an external mic or anything you can pic up for it?

·
red sport.
382 Posts
Well here is my 2¢, I'm into dash cams, (stuck to Windshield) I bought a Go Pro Hero & my Windows Movie maker wouldn't work with the memory card so, I sent it back. I down loaded the Go Pro soft ware & couldn't get it to work. I got a Das Cam (27$) I've had for over a yr. it work better than any I have bought (9). the drop down screen is loose causes a raddle But, think I have improved that.
here is a Video. got about 24 now.
https://youtu.be/5jwCi4H-4QI

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Neat little surprise. I didn't want to spend a ton on a GoPro so I bought a Winbook Action Cam for around $60 at MicroCenter. It's a great camera with a lot of features, including wireless remote control from your smartphone, and a ton of mounting gadgets. I had that same wavy look your video has when I used my iPhone. You won't get that with an action cam like the Winbook
WinBook HD Action Cam with WiFi 028100 - Micro Center

·
Registered
43,105 Posts
The phone was a galaxy note 4 which I set to record at 720p to save on size... Maybe I'll try it again in 4k UHD just to see how it looks,
Frame rate matters more than resolution for these kinds of videos.

·
Indecisive Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
I've watched both of the videos you have posted and the video quality seems fairly decent. How long does the battery last and with the 32gb limit on the sd card have you run into any issues with video length?
The video quality is actually much better than what you're seeing. It's an HD camera, but Youtube compresses the video and it takes away a lot of the quality. As far as the battery, I haven't ran it down yet and I've had the camera on for almost two hours at times. I have a 32 GB card in mine and have't filled it yet. I'd say you can probably fit about 3+ hours of video on a 32 GB card. I usually don't keep my camera on all the time while riding, I turn it on and off in intervals. I velcro it to the side of my helmet with some heavy duty velcro and it hasn't failed me yet. Sometimes I attach it to my engine guard for a different perspective.

Attachments

·
Indecisive Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The video quality is actually much better than what you're seeing. It's an HD camera, but Youtube compresses the video and it takes away a lot of the quality. As far as the battery, I haven't ran it down yet and I've had the camera on for almost two hours at times. I have a 32 GB card in mine and have't filled it yet. I'd say you can probably fit about 3+ hours of video on a 32 GB card. I usually don't keep my camera on all the time while riding, I turn it on and off in intervals. I velcro it to the side of my helmet with some heavy duty velcro and it hasn't failed me yet. Sometimes I attach it to my engine guard for a different perspective.

Well I'm gonna have to convince the Mrs.. but I feel I can win her over on that a lot easier than a $400 go pro setup.

·
Indecisive Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've won my battle! I'm gonna pick up the winbook camera next weekend in Dallas on my way up to Indiana! (in a cage :mad) I used the justification that she can use it when she does roller derby and I'm gonna take it with us to Florida and get some up close shots of my son swimming in the ocean!

I wont get to use it on the bike until July sometime, BUT I'm getting it. :thumbsup

Microcenter has it for $53.99 plus whatever the memory card will cost.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/426765/HD_Action_Cam_with_WiFi

·
Registered
133 Posts
Check out the SJCam SJ4000 also. There's a wifi version to let you use a smartphone as a remote. It records 1080p at 30fps. It does as damn good job. It comes with all the mounts, case, charger on eBay for $80ish. I got one for $105 with car charger, spare battery, and suction cup mount. There are fakes out there, but there are sites and videos to show the differences.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I must say you have a very feeble voice it seems.

The video on that did seem pretty good. How is the battery life and is there an external mic or anything you can pic up for it?
Yes, I developed some vocal problems after years of overuse and improper use of my voice.

I'm not sure of the battery life since the longest recording I've done is about an hour, and after I recorded I charged the camera battery again. The published life is 2.5 hours.

The camera has an external mic with no jack to hook-up a wired mic. There is a lot of wind noise at speed which is why I dub the narration with my raspy voice.

I've had no issues with the camera software and use Windows Movie Maker for editing.

·
Indecisive Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, I developed some vocal problems after years of overuse and improper use of my voice.

I'm not sure of the battery life since the longest recording I've done is about an hour, and after I recorded I charged the camera battery again. The published life is 2.5 hours.

The camera has an external mic with no jack to hook-up a wired mic. There is a lot of wind noise at speed which is why I dub the narration with my raspy voice.

I've had no issues with the camera software and use Windows Movie Maker for editing.
Do you know if you can charge it and record at the same time?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.