Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found myself with some time yesterday, as my wife accepted a Substitute teacher job, which she rarely does. So I went for a ride. Decided to try and get my digital camera mounted for some photos. I don't have a camera mount, so I had to get a little creative.

Was a great ride, down to Brunswick, MD and the Potomac River, across the river into Virginia, and back into MD near Harper's Ferry. Stopped by Panera Bread for a Frontego Chicken Sandwich on the way home. Mmmm.

Lots of snow melting, so I rode through many "snow melt streams". Bike's a mess now, but it'll clean up just fine, I reckon.

Had my Warm N Safe jacket liner set on low, and was nice and toasty.

The camera is mounted on the right rear, facing forward. Kind of a cool perspective. I used the Intervolometer, which is Canon speak for a time lapse setting. The camera took a picture every minute while I rode. Most of the images were blury, but here are some that turned out OK......

The Glide next to the Potomac River.....

Brunswick is a big railroad town. Originally B&O, now CSX. Waiting for the coal heading east.....

Back on the road....

Got smart late into the trip, and changed the camera angle out just a bit. Like this better. Here are two of my favorites from the day.....

Oh yeah, almost forgot. My *******/poor man's camera mount......

Will keep making adjustments, and see if I can get more of the photos to turn out. I'll start by increasing the aperature and going faster with the shutter speed. I'll turn off the image stabilization as well.

Hope you enjoy.

Ride on, ride well.

Doug

"I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

·
Registered
84 Posts
Outstanding !

Loved the innovation you used to accomplish the results.

I spent a long time, many, many years as a professional photographer, and I would never have thought of that !

Looking forward to more down the road shots. :D

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Doug, yes indeed -- that was outstanding! That poor man's mount has all kinds of potential. Enjoyed coming along on the ride, seeing the roads and structures.

Noting Harpers Ferry, the history of the area is something else. Was in Richmond last week and want to return. My oldest has decided to become a history teacher. We have summertime plans to hop on bikes and travel to historical places, taking pics and video. He brings the content back to class the coming year and the subject comes to life with first person perspective and images, supplementing the text book. Maybe it will happen.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Those are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very great idea to post the camera as you did!!!!!! I'm impressed.

I sure do wish Dallas had scenic...cool places like that. You have to go to Austin for stuff like that.....so its not too far, but not that convienent either:)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all,

And Steve, where is your son going to be teaching? Any plans on specific historical locations/sites to go see first? Great idea, and I'm sure his students will get a kick out of those firsthand reports. Great father/son time as well.

Maybe I need to convince my Dad to start riding, and we could ride to some great Southwestern golf courses together!

Ride on, ride well.

Doug

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tex,

You're saying someone copied my original work, and used it in a poem? Man the nerve! Ha!

Yeah. Can't really tell you much about Frost, or this poem. Not much into poetry to begin with.

But I've always liked the thought of getting off the beaten path, maybe doing things a little different than normal (like my Road Glide come to think!).

When I travel, I've always liked to get out on the back roads and explore, and get away from all the crowds and most of the touristy things. I do the same when I ride, at least as much as possible.

I just started adding that tag at the end of my posts a couple of weeks ago. Just seems like me. Probably change it or stop using it sometime, but maybe not:) .

Ride on, ride well.

Doug

Should I/Shouldn't I ?? ............

Why not.....

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Thanks all,

And Steve, where is your son going to be teaching? Any plans on specific historical locations/sites to go see first? Great idea, and I'm sure his students will get a kick out of those firsthand reports. Great father/son time as well.

Maybe I need to convince my Dad to start riding, and we could ride to some great Southwestern golf courses together!

Ride on, ride well.

Doug

Spoke with Brad for an hour tonight on the phone. He's in his senior year of college, and <ahem> only decided this year teaching history is what he'd really like to do, plus be a soccer coach, and also have a YWAM (Youth With a Mission) snowboard ministry. So it looks like a few more classes next year, but maybe by autumn '08 he'll be teaching history somewhere... his choice would be near a ski resort! Ha!

With my affection for Civil War history maybe I'll be able to talk him into a tour of Civil War battlefields early in his career!

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,750 Posts
A book that was very impressive to me many years ago was "Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" The author said he liked the roads "..that go from nowhere, to nowhere, and there is faster way to get there."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts