Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After visiting my local independent V-Twin shop during their annual open house, I have a wish list for upgrades on my Fat Boy.

Since I bought an '08 Anniversary Edition, most of the upgrades or changes won't change the basic look of the bike. Paint, of course, is out of the question.

1. Progressive rear shocks with remote preload adjustment. I saw these in the online catalog and thought that made a huge amount of sense. The problem with the softtail shocks is making adjustments requires tools and a special wrench for the shocks. With this kit, I can set the pre-load on a frame-mounted knob just below and on the left side of the seat. When I'm solo (which is most of the time) I can set it to the best ride setting. When I pack up for a long trip, or have a passenger, notch it up. No hassle. Owner of the independent shop showed me a softtail with it installed. Very nice.

2. Trucklight LED headlight and passing lights (and front and rear turn signals and rear tail light) replacements. Much less money than the Daymakers and the headlight really reaches out further, based on a review I read. The Daymakers reach out better than the halogens, but the "be seen" value is less than what it seems the Trucklights have. I can get the parts through the independent and do this one myself. I'm not married to the Trucklight concept, but do want to go LED across the board. I don't like bulbs failing and I really like BRIGHT.

3. Thunderheader Adaptive Tuner (with oxygen sensors) to replace the Screaming Eagle Super Tuner. We talked a lot about this and another rider at the open house had it done to his bike. The adaptive tuner doesn't just take one map and run with it, it reads the sensors and adjusts mix, spark and all based on the broadband oxygen sensors, altimeter, air pressure and other factors--and adapts the map as you ride. We think we can get the Fat Boy to a consistent 45 MPG using the Thunderheader. He also thinks I'll get better performance overall on long trips, especially in mountains. My bike already has the Stage One, 254 Cams, and S&H 2-into-1s.

So, these are the changes or upgrades I plan to pursue this winter. Any thoughts? Anyone use any of these products and have comments or concerns?

I'm sure there are hundreds of other options, as well, but these are the ones I want to look at this year. I appreciate any and all input.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
Sounds like a solid plan that will give positive and noticeable improvement

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I haven't heard about the Thunderheader Adaptive Tuner, and can't find anything on google. Do you have more info?

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
I know guys that love their progressive suspensions.

Are we giving our wish lists in this thread, too? If so, I only want tires. Oh, and Peanut's lay down license plate holder installed.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't heard about the Thunderheader Adaptive Tuner, and can't find anything on google. Do you have more info?
I will get specifics from him. Keep in mind that it was an open house, he wasn't working and was sipping on some hard stuff at the time. I'll check back in a bit when I'm ready for the shocks and make sure I get brand/model and all that.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
thundermax adaptive is the real deal

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
heck yea! nice Mike!!!

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
I've tried to think of what this meant. ..I can't figure it out?

Thinking about baseball helps those with premature issues prolong the experience.

My apologies. Comedy that needs to be explained isn't funny. Pardon my error.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
buzzkill. glad I did not axe the question

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
buzzkill. glad I did not axe the question

I thought it was really funny.

"Santa came early."

"He should've thought about baseball."

That's rock solid, right?