Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I kinda started actually working toward a goal today. Most of the time with this thing it has been just stripping it down and trying to figure out just what I want to do. I am not 100% sure, but I am close to deciding to make a matching bobber to the Sportster only way on the cheap side.

Today I started grinding off brackets and mounts that I wont need. This is a new experience for me. I have made a few customs but always from parts I spec'd out. This is the first time I have hacked and grinded on a existing bike to the extent I am planning on.

I don't want to get too far too fast. It is a long winter here in Utah and I don't want to end up with Spring Fever because I finished all my projects too soon.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am roughly working from this bike. I was going to hardtail it but the cost started climbing, so I am going to leave it with a swing arm. I am trying to complete this bike for under $2k including the original cost of the bike which was $700. I have picked up a Sporty tank and fender off of flea-bay.

Of course there will be some Gazoo Green in there somewhere!

My Econo-Bobber inspiration

There are a lot of unknowns right now. I will probably remove the electric start and go kickstart only. This will allow me to use a much smaller battery, probably a little gel-cel, and to simplify the wiring. I want to make this as simple as possible. I have to look into Utah laws and see if I need electric turn signals and horn.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went out and bought a cutting wheel for the mini-grinder. The cut-off wheel on the die grinder is probably great for smaller things, but it is taking too long for the bigger brackets and mounts.

I went to the dentist today and have never had a more painful time. I am pretty sore and am cruising along on Lortabs. I think I will go out and mount the cutting wheel and if I don't feel too woozy try cutting off the center stand mounts.

Chat with you in a bit.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well now, that cut off wheel on the mini-grinder takes care of business!! I got all the brackets cut and the rear hoop that usually serves as a rear fender mount removed. I was able to grind down a bunch of stuff to level with the frame tubes before my toof started hurting and I decided to come in and watch Dexter.

I really don't have too much more to do before I completely strip the frame and send it out to be sand blasted. After that it will be easier to smooth out the spots where brackets and stuff were cut off.

The cold weather is coming so I will need to invest in a heater for my garage. It gets below 70 here for months and I can't paint below that so I am going to have to try and figure out some way of heating the garage without a flame so I can paint. We will see what works out.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The cold weather is coming so I will need to invest in a heater for my garage. It gets below 70 here for months and I can't paint below that so I am going to have to try and figure out some way of heating the garage without a flame so I can paint. We will see what works out.

I've used a type of infrared heater in the machine shop. It looked like a bright as hell, weird colored flourescent light and worked really well. I think it was just like the one I linked:
http://www.infraredheaters.com/solaira2.htm

If included, it may push you just a tad over your budget. They were a little pricey if I recall correctly.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can run a propane heater then rent a ir one for when I need to paint. Thanks for the ideer.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I finally got around to cutting the rear off the ol Yammie. I hope to have the hardtail in place this coming week. Until then, the only thing holding all the frame geometry in place are the engine mount bolts.

I bought a plasma cutter pretty much for this job, but after experiementing I found the best thing for cutting this type of work was a Sawzall with a 18T blade. Cut right through, I was really surprised.

All the stuff on the cardboard is things I have cut off. It will give me plenty of material to practice welding on before I do the final weld on the hardtail.

I also built and engine stand for the little Yammie motor. Surprisingly I have sold quite a few of them on one of the forums that the 650 guys frequent.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
This is great! You are sorta inspiring me to do something like that one day. Keep it coming.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
You are a multidimensional human being Mike and it is good that you are willing to share your work with us here. I look forward to watch your work develop.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,175 Posts
This is great! You are sorta inspiring me to do something like that one day. Keep it coming.
Yeah. very cool. Like I need another project.

We bought my daughter-in-law a T-shirt for Christmas.
It said
"I DO NOT NEED ANOTHER HORSE"

I need a shirt like that.
"I DO NOT NEED ANOTHER PROJECT"

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The hardtail was waiting for me when I came home today. Here's a pic of it.

I got it in place and aligned. I used string and measured against 3 different datum points. It appears to me that it is in alignment within 1/32 inch. Hopefully that is enough. I don't know how to get it any better than it is.

I kinda threw everything on it to see how it is progressing and I am very happy with it. I really like the shape and lines of the Sportster fender but the radius is all wrong. I will have to figure out what to do about it. I am going to cut the fork tubes 2 inches and hope to find some (cheap) laced wheels for it.

I am going to remove the electric start on this thing to simplify the wiring and lighten it up. I will go with fat Harley style handlebars and controls. I want to go with a tri-bar headlight as on the 2005 Softail Standard (among others). Anyway, this was a big step forward. I now need to get someone in to do the final TIG welding of the hardtail. I do not trust my welding enough at this point. After that I will work on a battery box and rear fender mounts.

Till then....

·
Registered
472 Posts
I need to call that bald headed ball bustin Bastid this week to see how the econo-bobber is coming along. I know as of about 2 1/2 weeks ago it was at a standstill cause of how freekin cold it is in Lehi. If I hear anything I'll keep yall posted.

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
tell him to email you some pictures and you can post them up for us Toby, since that silly fuker wants to stay away from us.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts