Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to go with PY 12" handlebars for my 14' SGS. Read that I do not need longer brake/clutch lines, but will need to extend the wires. I'm looking for a plug and play setup. If that exists can someone post the correct product number or link for all the wires I will need. Having some trouble finding them. Thanks in advance.

2014 Harley Street Glide Special
2012 Harley Fatboy-RIP
1984 Harley Sportster XLH-Sold

Ride Safe!! Cheers

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Assume by plug-n-play you mean it comes with male and female plugs already wired in. Simply unplug the factory harness(s) and plug in the extension?
To the best of my knowledge there are none out there like that.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Assume by plug-n-play you mean it comes with male and female plugs already wired in. Simply unplug the factory harness(s) and plug in the extension?

To the best of my knowledge there are none out there like that.

Yea something that is already wired up and ready to go.

2012 Harley Fatboy-RIP

Ride Safe!! Cheers

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Think I have seen them with one end terminated = pin terminals already applied.
But the other is bare. Comes with the proper crimp on male or female terminals, needs special tool.
Lengths of color coded wires.
I believe the thought behind them is there may not be enough room between the tanks for 2 additional plug ends.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Think I have seen them with one end terminated = pin terminals already applied.

But the other is bare. Comes with the proper crimp on male or female terminals, needs special tool.

Lengths of color coded wires.

I believe the thought behind them is there may not be enough room between the tanks for 2 additional plug ends.

Good point.

2012 Harley Fatboy-RIP

Ride Safe!! Cheers

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking something similar to this...
ImageUploadedByMO Free1443058631.394052.jpg

2012 Harley Fatboy-RIP

Ride Safe!! Cheers

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
I know what you were thinking of.
Sorry. Like I said. I am not aware of any plug-n-play harnesses. :dunno
Sorry.

Had to splice in wires on T~S for new headlight/front turn signals.
And will be doing the same for the new taillight and rear turn signals.
A simple soldering iron followed by some shrink tubing will do the trick nicely.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Learn something new every day.
Did not know they ready made existed.
Any problem with the extra bulk of the 2 new connectors?

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
The throttle plug will not pass through the bars. That is why the kits are not ended.
Thanks Gigihurt. So fly by wire do not have the ready terminated kits available.
Makes sense. :nod

One other thing with plug in kits. Pre-terminated or not. It is another point of possible failure.

·
On the loose
8,723 Posts
Learn something new every day.
Did not know they ready made existed.
Any problem with the extra bulk of the 2 new connectors?
The factory wire reached to the center of the 10" bars and stuck out about 3" , just plug these into the factory harness and the connection point, there also much smaller connectors than previous years.

The throttle plug will not pass through the bars. That is why the kits are not ended.
Depends on the bars , mine were tight but they went through , the peaked bars like LA Choppers , Yaffe ect would be a problem I think.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I wouldn't open your extension wires till you try. I watched a you tube video on 14's on a 2014 street glide. All factory wires reached. You just have to open the fairing. Then release the cables from the mount on the radio. Then let them hang free. For extra length.

·
On the loose
8,723 Posts
You cannot get the wires for the fly by wire throttle out without taking the plug apart.
see this video for explanation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPvOmEvXQRs
This guys doing it the hard way IMO , I unplugged the connectors at the other end ( Green & Black ) and pulled from the center out the end of the bars and reconnected the TBW control . Again with peaked bars this may not work out.

Attachments

·
On the loose
8,723 Posts
I didn't figure I needed wire extensions till I got my wires pulled , maybe just the bars I used , Wild 1 Chubbys 10" WO578 , here's some shots I have ,

stock > wires pulled, new bars , w/extension connected > HD extensions actual size.

Attachments

·
Armed&Conscientious
535 Posts
I put 12-1/2" Wild 1 Reaper bars on my 14 Limited, the wires will go all the way thru the handlebars but just barely, I went to HDBikeparts.com and they have Namz wire extensions with the plugs on them already. I didn't need to but new cables, just reroute what you have.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts