Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding home from work today around 70mph, almost T-boned a dually 5th wheel truck/trailer.
Idiot crossing the split lane from the other side and just barreled across the median and right in front of me!
I was paying attention because I had "that feeling" you get when you see crap like that....(you guys know what I mean), and I swerved almost into the ditch, no time to brake - just react...not a great feeling. Whoever was driving turned around so I couldn't get back and face the MF'r. Let's just say I'm in a not so good mood at the moment...:mad:

Be careful and be aware!!!!

·
Just Ride
4,152 Posts
If you have time to react you also have time to brake. Just saying. Might want to practice using brakes and swerving to avoid. Not saying you can't ride but I practice avoidance alot living in Florida.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If you have time to react you also have time to brake. Just saying. Might want to practice using brakes and swerving to avoid. Not saying you can't ride but I practice avoidance alot living in Florida.
Braking would not have helped @ 70. I was about 50 ft away when he pulled out.
I practice enough to know what to do and when to do it....

To elaborate now that I'm a little more clam - the idiot pulled across both lanes, truck trailer and all.
I am in the right lane - no braking option, all I could do was accelerate around him and onto the shoulder which has a decent drop off so just enough room for a bike.
Be careful people!

·
Just Ride
4,152 Posts
Acceleration is good also, glad you got thru it. Sounds like you know what you're doing. All I can say is watch out for the idiots.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Riding home from work today around 70mph, almost T-boned a dually 5th wheel truck/trailer.
Idiot crossing the split lane from the other side and just barreled across the median and right in front of me!
I was paying attention because I had "that feeling" you get when you see crap like that....(you guys know what I mean), and I swerved almost into the ditch, no time to brake - just react...not a great feeling. Whoever was driving turned around so I couldn't get back and face the MF'r. Let's just say I'm in a not so good mood at the moment...:mad:

I go on lone stretches of road and practice emergency braking and swerving often. Pick a spot you must stop before or by, over and over. ** Still it cannot prep you for the unexpected.

I put BRIGHT LEDs on the bike and a rapid pulsing brake light along with bright riding gear.

I had a guy swing a right 25' in front of me, opposing traffic shut the swerve option, luckily hard breaking avoided impact. "I'm sorry, I didn't see you" was his words at the next stop.

Be safe out there!

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I must admit, laying on that right hand twist, has gotten me out of more trouble than the brakes ever have.
I practice brake then swerve, every time yes EVERY time leaving the neighborhood.

Keep the top knot on a swivel and the radar up!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We've all had bad experiences similar to yours. Thankfully, most times it doesn't end in tragedy. But on more than one occasion I've seriously considered giving up bikes. And some day I may quit riding but it ain't gonna be today. I just enjoy it too much.
It's not the first close-call I've ever had. It never really occurs to me to just stop riding because of it. We/I/You could wake up one day and fall down and break our neck getting out of bed....life alone is a risky proposition. 😎

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
45,160 Posts
I've had 4 spills in last 50 years. Not a bad ratio but not a good one either. Mom used to ask me to quit riding and I just couldn't explain why I'm NOT
I don't think my mom would ever think of asking me to quit riding motorcycles. Compared to other activities I've done, motorcycling is tame.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Riding home from work today around 70mph, nearly Sideswiped a dually fifth wheel truck/trailer.
Imbecile intersection the split path from the opposite side and just barreled across the middle and directly before me!

·
Former Lurker
4,605 Posts
I don't think my mom would ever think of asking me to quit riding motorcycles. Compared to other activities I've done, motorcycling is tame.
My Mom has been after me for 50 years to stop riding.
Say she regrets the day her and Dad said, "Sure, you can have dirt bike when you can pay for one..."
Even at age 8 (Honda SL70) it didn't take too long to mow enough grass to get one...

·
Registered
3 Posts

sorry to hear of your near miss and glad you are safe at home..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glad you made it out with both wheels on the ground and shiny side up! Often seems like others are actually trying to hit us! Good thing you were paying attention when the other guy wasn’t. Ride safe, brother!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts