Harley Davidson Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Braking would not have helped @ 70. I was about 50 ft away when he pulled out.
I practice enough to know what to do and when to do it....

To elaborate now that I'm a little more clam - the idiot pulled across both lanes, truck trailer and all.
I am in the right lane - no braking option, all I could do was accelerate around him and onto the shoulder which has a decent drop off so just enough room for a bike.
Be careful people!
I agree and I have been there more than once in my 60 years of riding and still at it today At 78....I will take power over breaking any day if I can, Once you slam on the binders your not in control of your ride and I don't care what anyone tells you there's more control with speed than breaks. When the adrenalin is flowing over breaking is much more possible and deadly... ALWAYS have an escape route planned when riding and be alert and that combination is what saved BOBA....I could go on and on about things like this but I think most of the old timers get my jist.....Be safe out there and you will get home to the family....

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
The one thing that keeps coming through my mind is that you were doing 70 mph through an intersection.

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR

·
Registered
27 Posts
The one thing that keeps coming through my mind is that you were doing 70 mph through an intersection.
I've been on highways with speed limits of 75 and have split intersections, I personally wouldn't be doing that but I might be at 55 or 60 plus the highway has the right of way in that situation and the truck and trailer was at fault which doesn't matter if your dead I know.....

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I've been on highways with speed limits of 75 and have split intersections, I personally wouldn't be doing that but I might be at 55 or 60 plus the highway has the right of way in that situation and the truck and trailer was at fault which doesn't matter if your dead I know.....
The speed limit on this particular road is 75....I was actually at 70 and sometimes even less depending on the surroundings...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Riding home from work today around 70mph, almost T-boned a dually 5th wheel truck/trailer.
Idiot crossing the split lane from the other side and just barreled across the median and right in front of me!
I was paying attention because I had "that feeling" you get when you see crap like that....(you guys know what I mean), and I swerved almost into the ditch, no time to brake - just react...not a great feeling. Whoever was driving turned around so I couldn't get back and face the MF'r. Let's just say I'm in a not so good mood at the moment...:mad:

Be careful and be aware!!!!
Glad your safe! Yes we see ahead and expect those things to happen. One thing I recommend for anyone, is recognizing all area’s of congestion and especially intersections. Slowing down allows better control and braking. I have seen most incidents occur at intersections. Not in that big of hurry, S.E.E., ride safe, 😎 J. T. 07 rd kg classic, ‘11 Flhtk, ‘16rd glide ultra, 16 ultra classic, 20 Triglide, 22 ultra limited and my 71 500 trophy twin hardtail

·
Registered
6,884 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Seems some posters on here are too quick make it like this was somehow my fault...funny.

The bottom line is the idiot in the truck failed to yield. Hopefully no one here ever finds themselves in that situation because it could have been ugly. :cool:

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Seems some posters on here are too quick make it like this was somehow my fault...funny.

The bottom line is the idiot in the truck failed to yield. Hopefully no one here ever finds themselves in that situation because it could have been ugly. :cool:
Reminds me of the guy I saw all banged up back in the '70's. What happened? A guy backed out of a drive way in front of me. Didn't you see him? Yes, but I had the right of way yet he was the one banged up.

Glad you were aware enough to avoid him.
Still not understanding this: he failed to yield, but it wasn't an intersection. A cross over to me is an elevated crossing. Vehicles entering the highway is an intersection.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I teach the ARC and besides braking a swerving we always teach to look for escape paths. Whether it be braking, swerving or accelerating. Sounds like you chose the best possible option available. Nice job and glad all that happened was you got pissed off. That’s a lot easier to recover from than injury.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The speed limit on this particular road is 75....I was actually at 70 and sometimes even less depending on the surroundings...
Either way BoBa you had the right of way and I'm on your side regardless of definitions......Be safe and glad to hear your OK and reacted just as most of us old timers would have done.....There is no right or wrong way it's alive or dead that really matters.....:)

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
So if the limit is posted 70mph you feel obligated to go into a dangerous intersection at the posted speed??

I in no way excuse the driver that failed to yield. Having driven literally millions of miles, I can say that the turn lanes (I figured out they are what Boba calls crossovers) are dangerous. With the A pillars on cars and trucks (and often crap hanging from the rear view mirror) it is entirely possible people making the turn will not see you. They are wrong, but you are in danger.

Reactions: gfritzmeier

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
It wasn't an intersection - please re-read the thread.

2 lanes each direction split with a median, and with crossovers every 1/2 mile or so. The driver didn't stop or even slow down - he just shot across both of MY lanes and almost into the shoulder.
When I saw him his truck/trailer was all the way across both lanes. My only recourse was to roll on the throttle and move on the shoulder.
It's so easy to assume people know what happened and hand out unsolicited advice after the fact. ........😒
It's a done deal and I did what I had to (to) keep from hitting the idiot.

·
Registered
119 Posts
What IS easy to assume is that the shoulder of the road (where you were going 70+) will have soft spots, trash and everything else you would not expect to be there. That is the least safe option. Nothing will change my mind. Still glad you made it anyway.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree and I have been there more than once in my 60 years of riding and still at it today At 78....I will take power over breaking any day if I can, Once you slam on the binders your not in control of your ride and I don't care what anyone tells you there's more control with speed than breaks. When the adrenalin is flowing over breaking is much more possible and deadly... ALWAYS have an escape route planned when riding and be alert and that combination is what saved BOBA....I could go on and on about things like this but I think most of the old timers get my jist.....Be safe out there and you will get home to the family....
I agree with most of what's been said here. I'm 70 years old and always turn my bights on and SLOW DOWN when going thru an intersection, overpass,
whatever, always assessing traffic and looking for an escape route. For the rest of the assholes trying to run me off the road,, that's why I carry back up!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree with most of what's been said here. I'm 70 years old and always turn my bights on and SLOW DOWN when going thru an intersection, overpass,
whatever, always assessing traffic and looking for an escape route. For the rest of the assholes trying to run me off the road,, that's why I carry back up!
Us old dogs spent a lot of time learning and that's why we still get home safe and I always carry BACKUP especially these days.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
It wasn't an intersection - please re-read the thread.

2 lanes each direction split with a median, and with crossovers every 1/2 mile or so. The driver didn't stop or even slow down - he just shot across both of MY lanes and almost into the shoulder.
When I saw him his truck/trailer was all the way across both lanes. My only recourse was to roll on the throttle and move on the shoulder.
It's so easy to assume people know what happened and hand out unsolicited advice after the fact. ........😒
It's a done deal and I did what I had to (to) keep from hitting the idiot.
Sound like u did it right to me. The fact you are posting this after the incident attests to that fact. Nice ridin.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts