Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine loosened up a bit and was adjusted at 1000 miles now with 5500 miles it is loose again. Just wondering if this is normal. These New York roads are nasty.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Mine loosened up a bit and was adjusted at 1000 miles now with 5500 miles it is loose again. Just wondering if this is normal. These New York roads are nasty.
Well, the NY roads could be the source. Did have one bike with the steering head bearings loosen up once, but it was after 20K miles. FWIW... Take a deep bow for 5500 miles on the DX!

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Unless you've been riding up/down flights of stairs, that doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
184 Posts
That is normal for the v-rod, if you adjust the fall away now it will probably be good for the life of the bike or bearings. It is caused by the neck bearing races/cups not being seated all the way from the factory and most v-rods have this happen. Mine was adjusted at 1000 and now I have 5200 miles and it is starting to do it again but not as bad as it did at 1000. When I get the 5000 maint done I will set the fall away again and it should be good for quite a while.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is normal for the v-rod, if you adjust the fall away now it will probably be good for the life of the bike or bearings. It is caused by the neck bearing races/cups not being seated all the way from the factory and most v-rods have this happen. Mine was adjusted at 1000 and now I have 5200 miles and it is starting to do it again but not as bad as it did at 1000. When I get the 5000 maint done I will set the fall away again and it should be good for quite a while.
Thanks Spaz. I didnt take mine in for the five thousand mile checkup because I was charged about $475.00 for the 1000 mile checkup. I will try to adjust it myself. I have been doing my own mods and inspections on my bike ever since. Thanks again for your's and everyone elses input.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.