Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 fxd with the 1340cc big twin evo with thunderheader exhaust and I got a nasty noise coming from my engine. I was doing 60-70 and let off the throttle and it ran away on me so I killed the engine and pulled over. Put it in neutral and fired it back up and it was good, no noise. Then it wanted to die a little but ran ok. I got to where I was going and shut it off then the next day it started fine but I went to take off and it felt like it stalled it. After that it took jumping the battery to get it started again and a nasty knock started immediately will in neutral. I replaced the rods, lifters and gaskets. One of the rods was a little bent. I started it back up and the same noise. The valves look fine, no real metal in the oil. I just recently replaced the air filter before that. The bike also spends a lot of time between 60-80mph. Any ideas?

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Wish I could help ya!! No idea man! I would pm schmidtys if he hasn't noticed the thread... He should be able to help. Chasarms , serviceguy,
98darkhorse and a few others are good with the engine stuff..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Just Ride
3,036 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a 1996 fxd with the 1340cc big twin evo with thunderheader exhaust and I got a nasty noise coming from my engine. I was doing 60-70 and let off the throttle and it ran away on me so I killed the engine and pulled over. Put it in neutral and fired it back up and it was good, no noise. Then it wanted to die a little but ran ok. I got to where I was going and shut it off then the next day it started fine but I went to take off and it felt like it stalled it. After that it took jumping the battery to get it started again and a nasty knock started immediately will in neutral. I replaced the rods, lifters and gaskets. One of the rods was a little bent. I started it back up and the same noise. The valves look fine, no real metal in the oil. I just recently replaced the air filter before that. The bike also spends a lot of time between 60-80mph. Any ideas?[/QUOTE

SO you found a bent push rod, replaced that.. The push rods does not bend on its own something created enough force to bend it. Valve seizing in guide, or bent valve most common.

Being that the battery was all good before this and then you need a jump box to get it cranked over, something is created a huge amount of drag as well.

The front plug was bad.. How so ?...covered in oil, smashed flat ?? Time to take it apart and find the issue.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pushrods are good. I'm trying to post pics of what I found last night. The valve guide for the exhaust on the front cylinder looks like it got pushed back up and the one on the rear intake cylinder has a crack in it. Pics are coming soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts