Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, I have looked on this site, and so far cannot find any inputs about a good source for a Sirius/XM antenna. While I currently have the one pictured, I have problems with the connection. The current jack, is not working properly, and just started yesterday showing that the antenna was not connected.

SO, I have looked most of last night, and tonight, looking for another antenna as pictured. I bought the current one for $25 brand new. For some reason, I cannot find anything (on ebay, sirius, etc) under $50......Does anyone out there have a way to obtain one of these cone shaped antennas without spending so much?? These things are not made to look like they are worth $50!
Ideas??
Antenna.jpg

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am thinking more of a new antenna. Wanted to see if anyone knew where I could find one cheaper than $50.......

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have that exact antenna, mounted under my fairing, started having the antenna not connected issue, I slightly crimped the connector with needlenose plyers, no more problem. Works just fine

·
Registered
225 Posts
So is your connection issue at the antenna? My connection problem is where the antenna plugs into the docking station of my XM radio. I guess the vibration at the bars is too much for the connector in my case. I might have to try to make the connection tighter by crimping the connector with pliers.

Thanks for the input.
GMan

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
I have just the reg. round old style magnectic one stuck on top of my radio in my fairing and it works great...I think I paid $15.00 for it ???:dunno

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have just the reg. round old style magnectic one stuck on top of my radio in my fairing and it works great...I think I paid $15.00 for it ???:dunno

What radio is that antenna plugged into? I have an Onyx plus radio mounted to the bars and connected to the stock bike radio via the auxiliary input. The docking station on my radio is where I think on having a problem since I can wiggle that connector and get it work for a short time.

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
What radio is that antenna plugged into? I have an Onyx plus radio mounted to the bars and connected to the stock bike radio via the auxiliary input. The docking station on my radio is where I think on having a problem since I can wiggle that connector and get it work for a short time.

mine is pluged into a Sportster Replay an older model and its in the tourpack and I just leave it on Ch. 25 classic rewind all the time..

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have already ordered a new magnetic mount that I will mount with double sided tape. I will mount it on the same place I had the cone antenna. I should have thought about this before now. Not sure what took so long.
I have had no luck in finding another cone under $50. I think this will work much better.
Another thought. I do not understand how some folks say they put the antenna under the fairing. If the top of these antennas are blocked the signal will not come through.
I hope this new one coming works.

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
The signal will go right through the plastic fairing.. Even had my ant. Inside my tourpac before and it worked great..

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The signal will go right through the plastic fairing.. Even had my ant. Inside my tourpac before and it worked great..
That is very interesting. I may have to try that. Thanks for the input. I have covered it with my hand before, and it stops working right away.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just had Sat radio installed yesterday. Driving SE near trees it cuts out a lot. Is there a good place to mount the antenna on my 2014 Ultra Limited. My 2011 had it mounted close to the top left hand side. I worked a lot better. I was thinking about running it back to the top of my Tour Pak.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Top of the Tour Pak would give you the best location unless you strap stuff to the Tour Pak.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mounts perfect on the top of dash, on flat spot left or right side, just at either end of windscreen. I purchased the small magnetic, with sirius logo on it, and mounted with automotive double backed tape. Excellent, and I do not know why I didn't think of this before!
Hope this helps...............

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just picturing it in my head, I would say absolutely..........
I still do not understand if you cover it (ie, in a saddle bag, pouch, etc) how it gets a signal........I mean, going under overpasses, and if it gets covered by hand, it will not function properly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I installed the antenna behind the windshield on the shelf and it works great. no lost signals so far. rode for a couple hours today. Hid it under the windshield pouch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts