Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A paver came loose in my driveway an banged up my front fender. HD paint matched replacement cost seems to range from 655.58+tax (at my HD dealer) to 515.00+shipping (at newcastlehd.com).

I've also considered checking with a local body shop to see if they would just cut the bottom of the fender off.

Any other ideas?

Attachments

·
Banned
71 Posts
A paver came loose in my driveway an banged up my front fender. HD paint matched replacement cost seems to range from 655.58+tax (at my HD dealer) to 515.00+shipping (at newcastlehd.com).

I've also considered checking with a local body shop to see if they would just cut the bottom of the fender off.

Any other ideas?
Pound the dent out of it, and cover the bottom of it with a fender skirt of your choice.

https://www.google.com/search?q=har...a:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=nts

·
Registered
685 Posts
shoot pull the fender put some masking tape above the dent and saw it off . you can put on some chrome trim if you want the length back . easy fix .

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Webco2, I had thought about a fender skirt. The only ones I'd seen though were way to "chromy" for a black denim bike. But following your link I did find this one.

Which I think might look OK.

Tennjack, that's pretty much what I was going to let the body shop do.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
I would order it from newcastle

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only thing that concerns me is when I look on the HD website there are no fender skirts that show as a fit with the 2014 SGS.

·
Banned
71 Posts
The only thing that concerns me is when I look on the HD website there are no fender skirts that show as a fit with the 2014 SGS.
The fender is longer and without the mounting holes is why. MoCo wants a "drop in fit" to list it as working .

It'll work over the fender or you can cut the fender down 4 inches , either way you will need to drill the mounting holes. I'd just pop rivet it on if it was mine tho .

·
IMMORTAL UNDEAD
904 Posts
++1 on pulling it off and pounding out the dent then repaint bottom and install fender skirt with pop rivets. You can also put on a black leather one from Captain Itch.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The fender is longer and without the mounting holes is why. MoCo wants a "drop in fit" to list it as working .

It'll work over the fender or you can cut the fender down 4 inches , either way you will need to drill the mounting holes. I'd just pop rivet it on if it was mine tho .
That's pretty much what I thought the issue was.

I know me some pop rivets. I built a plane using them. I've even got a tool head that will make the outside nice and domed.

·
South GA *******
3,898 Posts
A skirt like the one above with the colors reversed would look cool on a black demon bike. But that's just my opinion... And my wife tells me that don't count for much!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Webco2, I had thought about a fender skirt. The only ones I'd seen though were way to "chromy" for a black denim bike. But following your link I did find this one.

Which I think might look OK.

Tennjack, that's pretty much what I was going to let the body shop do.
I think that would look cool..

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I got one of the above skirts and it doesn't even get close to fitting. And I've looked at the outcome of of simply cutting the fender and I'm not happy with it. So I'm back to buying a new fender.

Factory is an option but since I've got to replace it might as well do some custom work. I found Smitty's Custom Painting The Factory Match and they have Klock Werks fenders that they paint to match factory including the pinstriping for about the same price if not a little cheaper than factory.

I'm specifically looking at this one...

But does anyone have any comments on Klock Werks Fenders and/or Smitty's work?

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep. And those fender skirts aren't made strong enough to act as a fender extension if I start cutting stuff down.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Double Post since they moved the thread.

P.S. If I can only have it one place I'd rather it be in Touring. More traffic.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Yep. And those fender skirts aren't made strong enough to act as a fender extension if I start cutting stuff down.
OK, I just looked to make sure, both of my FLHTCUI's have just the fender extension hanging down. No steel fender under it .

:)

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Really, that surprises the hell out of me because the part I got wouldn't take a rock hit worth a crap.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think I'm going with the Klock Werks from Smitty's. They were great on the phone and all the reviews I've been able to find (about 20) were very happy with their color match.

When I asked them what would happen if I didn't think the black denim matched they said two things would happen. First whoever painted and inspected it was going to be fired then they would replace the part.

Plus less than a week shipping time even with the FLHXS pinstripe. As compared to the MoCo's month.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I think I'm going with the Klock Werks from Smitty's. They were great on the phone and all the reviews I've been able to find (about 20) were very happy with their color match.

When I asked them what would happen if I didn't think the black denim matched they said two things would happen. First whoever painted and inspected it was going to be fired then they would replace the part.

Plus less than a week shipping time even with the FLHXS pinstripe. As compared to the MoCo's month.
Sounds like a winner. :thumbsup :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts