Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright-
So here is a serious thread. (Coonass, maybe you should snoop elsewhere)

As most of you know, I have an '06 883L. I love her. BUT I love the VROD's. Now, before people starte telling me to look at other bike besides the VROD, let me tell you, it's the only other bike I feel 100% comfortable on. I love Rob's. When I ride his bike, I sometimes forget that I'm on a bike (in the safest way possible). The center of gravity is amazing, I feel so low to the ground..and so much "one" with the bike (quit laughing at me..I'm trying my best here).

I have sat on other bikes, felt other bikes...and I don't feel comfortable.

So here is my dilemma...in order to get a VROD, I have to give up the sporty. I can't afford both. Crap, I can barely afford one! :) But here is where I am having some serious issue, and I need you guys to try and imagine this too...

The sporty is my first bike. I've done lots of things (mods) to make her my own. I'm attached. I can't FATHOM someone else having my bike, riding that bike, and not knowing what kind of care they are giving or not giving the bike. What stupid changes they are doing to it, and if they drop her, etc.

I talked to Rob about it last night, and I tried to put it into perspective of a way he would understand. Maybe this will work for some of your guys too, before you can offer advice. When I talk to him about trading my bike, he's always like..do it, get a VROD...but that's because he's not in the position. He can't imagine having another bike..not even thinking about having another one. So last night I said to him- Would you trade your 2006 VROD, all the time and mods you've done to it to make it your own...for a 2007?? And he said "heck no, that bike is MINE!" And that's how I feel.

I do know that once I get a VROD...I wouldn't ride the Sporty. I just know I wouldn't. So I know I need to sell her so I can move up in the bike world, but it is SERIOUSLY upsetting me just thinking about it.

I want a VROD and I know I can make a new bike my own too...but I love looking at that bike, I love seeing her in the garage...hmmm, this really makes me sad.

What do I do?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was in your shoes a while back. The 1200L was my first Harley, and I loved that bike to death. In the end, I traded it for my R. It was a good decision, and I don't regret it. It was time to move on for me. I had outgrown it. Do what makes you happy. Best of luck in your decision.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Sorry :rideCupCake:ride, I'm in on this one like stink on a monkey! It's perfectly normal to want both, hell it's a woman's nature to want her CUPCAKE, and eat it too, but if that can't happen and you have the means to upgrade, DO IT! When you asked Rob if he would trade his in, you have to remember he already rides the bike he loves, so what would he have to gain by getting another of the same thing?
On you concerns about what someone will do to the Sporty, ask youself how many people do you know intentionally mistreat an investment such as a HD motorcycle?

You'll always have a place in your heart for the old girl, but I ga-rawn-tee, YOU WON'T LOOK BACK!! ;)

And to think you didn't want my opinion....:(

·
Registered
212 Posts
HEY cUPCAKElook at it this way,even kids leave thier mothers boosom to move on to different things.I just lost my 02 RKC to an idiot crashing me,and thought it was the end of the world much like you are discribing.I just bought an 07 RKC and cant wait to do the same things I did or better to it.awaiting you discission,but remember you are not leaving it alone ,you chose who buy's it .

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was in your shoes a while back. The 1200L was my first Harley, and I loved that bike to death. In the end, I traded it for my R. It was a good decision, and I don't regret it. It was time to move on for me. I had outgrown it. Do what makes you happy. Best of luck in your decision.

I think I am outgrowing the Sporty too, but I don't want to think I am. But I LOVE the speed on the VROD. Rob and I will be out riding, and he'll let me have a turn on the VROD, and when we stop, I always say to him "How come you just never leave me in the dust?!?!? This thing is SCREAMING to go fast"!!!!

But I love the look of the VRODS, the sound of the CFR..the 240...oh, did I mention that if I get a VROD, it's going to cost another $10k to get it how I want it?!?!? LOL

(PS- I want some smokey gold/black skins. So if anyone finds any, let me know ;) )

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry :rideCupCake:ride, I'm in on this one like stink on a monkey! It's perfectly normal to want both, hell it's a woman's nature to want her CUPCAKE, and eat it too, but if that can't happen and you have the means to upgrade, DO IT! When you asked Rob if he would trade his in, you have to remember he already rides the bike he loves, so what would he have to gain by getting another of the same thing?
On you concerns about what someone will do to the Sporty, ask youself how many people do you know intentionally mistreat an investment such as a HD motorcycle?

You'll always have a place in your heart for the old girl, but I ga-rawn-tee, YOU WON'T LOOK BACK!! ;)

And to think you didn't want my opinion....:(
You crack me up!!! (and make me mad sometimes) :) Youre right about me wanting my "cupcake" and eating it too!! That was a good one Toby!!! You are right about people intentionally mistreating a HD. I don't know of anyone who does that. Hmmm...I wish I could keep them both. Darn.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HEY cUPCAKElook at it this way,even kids leave thier mothers boosom to move on to different things.
Yeah..I guess I am wanting a bigger boob- HA!

·
Registered
472 Posts
I take that back! Don't get it. I have so many :rideAir Head:ride comments left for you that it would be a shame to not be able to use them. Stick with the sporty, rookie!:D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just to add to this, I agree with Toby 100%. You won't look back and say it was a mistake. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought it would be worthy to note that you admitted to me being right TWICE in one post!:dance
Save it, put it under your pillow, frame it, sell it on Ebay...because it WONT happen again, TOBES!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
You two are crazy:D

HA! It gets worse. At the Spring Rally this year, in Oklahoma...Toby and his wife, Jaime, invited Rob and Me to stay in their cabin. He told Rob he would bring the muzzles for me and Jaime!!! Hhhmmppphhhh. So the 4 of us are ROOMIES!!! Stay tuned for pictures and stories!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Go for it Cupcake. Admitting that you'd never ride the sportie again should tell you that you can part with it. Are you sure it's not just that you don't want to imagine someone else with your sportie more than it is you not wanting to part with it?

I sometimes see people around that own 2 or more bikes. I always wonder how they can decide which one to ride. I know if I had 2, I'd have a favorite that I'd always ride and leave the other to just sit there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
HA! It gets worse. At the Spring Rally this year, in Oklahoma...Toby and his wife, Jaime, invited Rob and Me to stay in their cabin. He told Rob he would bring the muzzles for my and Jaime!!! Hhhmmppphhhh. So the 4 of us are ROOMIES!!! Stay tuned for pictures and stories!
Damnit, where is the popcorn smiley. LOL Should make for some interesting times there!!!!!

·
Old, Tired, Ugly
128 Posts
Wife was in the same position. ALL SHE WANTED WAS A SPORTIE. We did some major customizing on her Sport. She rode it for 2 years then decided she wanted a "big kids bike" Bought her a Nightrain......then came the selling of her Sport.

Used 'personalized' Sportsters aren't in high demand. You are going to loose your butt when you try to sell it, unless you get really lucky. Consider trading it in, you will get beat up, but won't be stuck with 2 bikes.

We still have her Sport. I won't give it away, so now we have a spare. My old Springer sold in 2 days for about 18 grand.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ohhhh no, I'm gonna go against popular opinion here.....

There are many days I regret selling my 1st Harley (Softail Custom). I saved up enough money during college (since I rode a motorcycle all of college, I did not have a car) for a down payment. I ordered it a year in advance so it would arrive as a graduation present to myself for all my hard work in getting my degree. Once I got it, I rode it anywhere from California to Florida in the southern US and put about 30,000 miles on it in 2.5 years. Looking back now, I had many emotional ties to that bike for many different reasons. I sold it to get the new "cool bike", a Softail Duece, and I never ended up liking the thing.

Point of my story - if I had it to do over again, I would have kept my 1st Harley forever and kept rotating my 2nd bike to whatever I wanted at the time. My V-rod is a much better machine than the Softail Custom, but I will never have the emotional ties to the V-rod like the Softail Custom. If you can, get your fix riding Rob's until you can afford a second bike. I'm gettin emotional just writing this...... :eek:

Good luck with your decision Amy!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wife was in the same position. ALL SHE WANTED WAS A SPORTIE. We did some major customizing on her Sport. She rode it for 2 years then decided she wanted a "big kids bike" Bought her a Nightrain......then came the seling of her Sport.

Used 'personalized' Sportsters aren't in high demand. You are going to loose your butt when you try to sell it, unless you get really lucky. Consider trading it in, you will get beat up, but won't be stuck with 2 bikes.

We still have her Sport. I won't give it away, so now we have a spare. My old Springer sold in 2 days for about 18 grand.
Cool looking bike!!!! I know my avatar is small, and I don't have any pictures in my gallery yet...but I havent done toooo much personalization, but love what I have done. And I havent given up on returning it to stock, and selling the customized parts on ebay. Well, just my pipes and seatand Maybe forward controls...those things are new :)

I changed the pegs, grips, Rob got me a Corbin Solo seat (which looks GREAT on these sporty's since they have a gut)...I have SE II Slip on's and Rob got me forward controls for Christmas. So see it's not too much, but the ones I have done...were rather pricey (seat, mufflers, and controls)...Hopefully I would do better on a sell with this one,than a trade.

·
Mod Extraordinaire
1,980 Posts
I agree with Eric....

Ride your Sporty until you can afford both. I sold my '84 Jeep CJ (my first vehicle I got when I was 16) only about 2 years ago. Finally, I had no place for it so I HAD to sell. I would still have it, otherwise. You're going to have kids one day and that would be a great hand-me-down.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts