Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I down shift, every once in a while I hear a puff sound come out of my air intake and then it goes away. My plugs are new and the air filter is a K&N, which looks clean. is this a miss or what? Anything to worry about? This is my first Harley and just want to take care of her. Thanks,
Tim

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Hey Tim,
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like deceleration popping (or small backfires). It is usually caused by a lean air/fuel mixture from changing exhaust and or air filter which will change the a/f mix. If it is not that bad you can leave it. If it bothers you you can readjust your a/f mix. If its carbed you will need to have it rejetted, if it's fuel injected you will need an aftermarket electronic gizmo in order to let you change the mix.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Well I dont think its a good idea to downshift with radical difference in engine speed and
speed like one might on a two stroke. But even so I dont see a problem. Engine not covered or insulated so you'll hear engine noises. If it gets worse and worse check in again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys, thank you for your input. It seems like something like EZE said. The dealer did adjust the idle speed and fuel mixture before I departed the store. I have driven all standards in my life so I guess it's a habit to downshift. I only do it when I have plenty of room to stop. Again, thank you.

·
Registered
40,730 Posts
Is your bike carbed? Does it only do this when cold, or when warmed up as well?

·
Registered
33 Posts
i am so confused!!

1 st day on the site..been reading for days prior to bring my 2009 fatboy home yesterday. i was a bit surprised on how low sounding the exhaust is. any suggestion on how to go about changing the exhaust the proper way without robbing a bank. also can you damage anything by not being 100% a shifting( sometimes to soon it seems and sometimes i cant hear when to upshift. need pipes badly i think.. i just want to do the right thing with my new baby.

any help please....thank you in advance

peter fatboy09

·
Registered
25 Posts
This thread has been Hijacked!:stir If your not a fan of quiet pipes and don't want to spend the money you can always be that guy that pounds out the baffles. Though after dropping all that money on a new bike and doing something like that doesn't make any sense. Get yourself a set of slip-ons or a set of aftermarkets.:thumb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts