Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I tried searching up info in very little time but no luck and couldn't pass up a good deal so now I come to you guys for help.

I'm very mechanically inclined but with Harleys I'm new too
At 24 I bought my first harley.
The guy who owned it before me didn't take care of it at all alot of corrosion on the motor and looked grossed so I started cleaning it up was gonna paint and polish it.
I started the process and with my new job didn't have the time to continue so my bikes been down for about 1 yr.

I came across a motor and tranny from an 07 street glide
I was told 97-07 frames are the same so right off the back I assumed the motor would fit. But I wanted second opinions, but it was answers that yes it'll fit and no it won't fit.

Can someone give me more insight on this..
My bikes carb, the motor is fuel injected.
I bought complete motor and tranny.

The deal was so good I couldn't pass up if I did I know I would've regretted it.

2 people said I would have to change the swing arm
Can yall help me out a little more.

Has anyone down this ??

I want to get back on the road I miss riding my baby :bikerguy:

Attachments

·
Banned
71 Posts
I don't know all of what you will have to have to make it work, but you will need the motor harness and the ecm to start with .

Or you will have to convert it back to a carb setup .

·
Registered
42,150 Posts
99 - 06 engine cases are the same.

Replacement motors/cases from S&S etc are for 99 - 06 and 07 up.

Your 01 motor has the stronger Timken left crank bearing, vs the roller bearing used on 03 up.

I believe the transmission is interchangeable between the two.
Whichever motor you end up using, I'd use the 07 transmission.
6 speed, can remove starter without pulling primary, 1.4kw starter vs 1.2kw on the 01.

·
Retired citizen
24,285 Posts
5spd to 6spd ... the engine and trans have to match. The '07 has the engine to trans gasket, no external oil lines. Actually the complete drive train needs to stay intact, engine , trans and primary drive.
As stated extra work and parts if going with EFI over carb.
What do plan to do about registration ? The serial numbers won't match your title with a different engine in the bike.

·
Hard Member
3,255 Posts
5spd to 6spd ... the engine and trans have to match. The '07 has the engine to trans gasket, no external oil lines. Actually the complete drive train needs to stay intact, engine , trans and primary drive.
As stated extra work and parts if going with EFI over carb.
What do plan to do about registration ? The serial numbers won't match your title with a different engine in the bike.
Damn! This is getting better and better! All we need is Dave63 and we will have Click and Clack, motorcycle guru version!

·
Retired citizen
24,285 Posts
In looking at the thumbnails the OP posted I'd say he's got a lot of parts to buy yet ! Hope for his sake the engine runs !

·
Hard Member
3,255 Posts
It going to be expensive!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
clean and maybe powder coat what you have - or dick around trying to frankenstien a goose and a duck -

doesnt look like a hard decision to me

·
Hard Member
3,255 Posts
Well this was no help lol
Maybe it was plenty of help, but you didn't get it! Those guys knew what they were talking about and I have had to depend on them. Yet you want to be the expert now. People like you do what you just did, come to this forum, trash our little turf, become sarcastic and insult others then disappear!

·
Registered
42,150 Posts
Maybe it was plenty of help, but you didn't get it!
Bingo! I told him in post #3 that an 07 motor will not work in 06 and earlier.
He just chose not to let that info sink in to his thick skull.

Me thinks 25 year old know it all A. Delarosa is originally from Austin and aspires to work in that new restaurant in Dallas.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Not even a mention of being juuust a bit leery of a TC engine and six speed trans for $600.00.

--

·
Hard Member
3,255 Posts
Sorry guys, had to let him have it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pretty much I'm asking what it's going to take to make it happen, and they're saying to stick with the motor I have. I chose not too. I'm sure someone here has done it. And there input it what I'm hoping to get, I'm not worried about the cost etc.
I'm not saying I'm an expert at anything that's why I came here.
And I'm not going anywhere nor did I trash your turf.
And if I insulted you i apologize.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
It's from a totaled bike my buddy bought at auction, he's going a different route in his project and was only trying to make his money back
Then that makes sense for the newer engine and trans. But it still has compatibility issues with your older bike. Now, if you're saying that your buddy has the rest of the '07 bike and he's able to supply wiring and control modules (ECU, etc,) as you require them, then you may be able to make this work. But it looks like you are in for quite a bit of work and mods -- and a lot of time. And it may be that finding somebody who has done this kind of swap may be harder than you think. So, patience will be your friend.

Something else. There are a lot of members here with very diverse personalities and sensibilities. The common thread is that we all love Harleys and things related to them. You may find that some defend this place a bit more fiercely than others. But you'll also find that there is a wealth of knowledge among those same members and when a subject piques their interest, they will carry a thread to the inth degree to try to resolve the issue. Of course, a thick skin comes in handy because we like to have some fun along the way, too. Don't take yourself, or the membership, too serious and you'll be fine.

Welcome from Baton Rouge! I know I'll be watching your progress on this project.

--

·
Retired citizen
24,285 Posts
Here's some more info. The '07 runs a 1" narrow drive belt, re-designed primary drive and primary covers, and the biggie ... the 2007 frame does not retrofit to earlier models. The frame, swingarm and engine mounts accommodate the newer '07 engine and trans. So, that translates to the '07 engine and trans won't fit in a pre-'07 frame.
BUT, a cutting torch and welder can fix just about anything !

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Here's some more info. The '07 runs a 1" narrow drive belt, re-designed primary drive and primary covers, and the biggie ... the 2007 frame does not retrofit to earlier models. The frame, swingarm and engine mounts accommodate the newer '07 engine and trans. So, that translates to the '07 engine and trans won't fit in a pre-'07 frame.

BUT, a cutting torch and welder can fix just about anything !
Just what I was going to add. You can make anything happen, with enough time, money and desire.

You'll have to mod the frame, replace the swing arm, have new rear pulley/gear. You'll need wiring harness,( either from junk bike or make one or god forbid buy a new one. Or you'll need a carburetor. setup for new engine, and make a simple wiring harness.
After all that, and the things I've forgotten, you'll need bunches of time and work to sort it all out.

Could be a great project, but allow a year or more before expecting to ride the thing.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Need help and advice "07 SG motor in an 01 EG"

If you decide to run it EFI, you're also going to need a EFI fuel tank, fuel pump and the additional associated parts.

You're probably better off converting the new motor to carb. Since there is no such thing as a stock carbureted 2007 bagger, you'll have to figure out what combination of stock parts, aftermarket parts and fabricated parts you will need. EFI was new enough then that a lot of guys were converting. You should be able to find some information there.

The other issues you're going to have relate to things like the TSM/TSSM, speed sensors and other information that the ECM processes. There were a couple of ECM changes in that time. You're almost certainly going to have some issues with the electronics.

When it's all said and done, you're probably going to end up stripping the bike down to nothing and build a Frankenstein.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts