Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all Im at work now Gonna try and call this person in a few hours the ad says is a 1987 sportster 1000 but theres only a 1100 and it doesnt look 100% like this one can anyone tell me what model this bike is and how hard are parts to find for it I plan on turning into a bobber I plan on buying this for a nice project i can work on .....

Attachments

·
Try'n to behave
5,854 Posts
Looks like an Ironhead Sportster. I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell you a year though. Someone else will have to do that.

·
Registered
38,881 Posts
It's not a 1987.

It is an Ironhead 1000cc. Last year of the Ironheads was 1985.

Looks like a '80 or '81 because of the oil tank has the exposed battery compartment on the right side.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not a 1987.

It is an Ironhead 1000cc. Last year of the Ironheads was 1985.

Looks like a '80 or '81 because of the oil tank has the exposed battery compartment on the right side.
:biking::biking::biking::biking::biking::hero:

lol thank you thank you its a 81 ironhead your good you thank you again

·
Registered
38,881 Posts
If you do buy that bike, be prepared to do a total frame up restoration. Looks like it's been sitting outside uncovered for many years, and possible butchered wiring by the looks of the battery lead in the photo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you do buy that bike, be prepared to do a total frame up restoration. Looks like it's been sitting outside uncovered for many years, and possible butchered wiring by the looks of the battery lead in the photo.
Yea im gonna see if he still has it but for $500 cant really go wrong .. what u mean by total frame resto? do you mean sandblasting frame and re painting of i might need a while new frame?

·
Registered
38,881 Posts
Sandblasting the frame and repainting, new wiring harness etc...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sandblasting the frame and repainting, new wiring harness etc...
Well hopefully he still got it and i wont mind having a nice little project i can play with and rebuild and make mine like a said i wanna bobber it out but thanks again for helping with the year and make

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
$500??????? Crap, why do those deals never happen around me?

Congrats! Buy it, if you haven't already. Here in Dallas, that would pull $1500 easy on craigslist. If nothing else, there are a lot of parts, but I think it could be made into a sweet budget bobber.

·
Registered
695 Posts
For $500, you can't go wrong. That thing looks to be just about 100% stock, which is a rare thing. I'd get it running, clean it up, and ride it a bit before trashing it. Somewhat restored as stock will be worth a lot more than sawed-off and spray-canned flat black, BTW. If you bob it, save the stock parts and customize some cheap donor parts from eBay. That way, you can turn it back to stock if you ever want to, or you can sell he original parts for good money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts