Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 2009 Heritage Softail with about 33,000 miles on it.
I have not looked at a bike with this many miles on it -

What should I look for and/or expect to have to replace on a bike with this many miles on it?
The battery is new, that is all I know that has been replaced -

Thanks

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
Cam chain pensioners may need to be looked at soon. Other than that, as long as it has been serviced properly, you should be fine.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Tons and tons of used bikes out there for sale. I don't know what they are asking for it, but with the season over, and all the choices out there, It would would have to be a steal for me to consider a 6 year old bike with 33k miles. Just my opinion.

·
Wayward Son
23,313 Posts
Would look at the tires too.
Have to believe they have been replaced at least a couple times.
Not only how much tread is left. Check close for dry rot too.

As stated, if regular maintenance has been done, it has not been flogged, and is a comparatively good price, go for it.

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
Have a 09 FXSTC basically same drive train and frame. Ready to turn over 32K. Cam tensioners would be one item of concern. Checked mine at 29K very minor wear. As already mentioned if serviced properly and not abused should be good to go. Depending on the price....!! Check with local dealer for any warranty work and maintenance performed.

PS... May check the engine mounting bolts on the heads. Mine would loosen up. No longer a problem now for a few years. Did induce a buzzing vibe in foot pegs.

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
Mileage is the weirdest thing to talk about with Harley owners. When I was looking for mine I had Harley owners tell me they would not consider buying one with more than 20K on it. But then they turn right around and say the bike is good for 200K!

I got lucky and found an 09 with 7k on it.

I'd ask why they are selling it. If they just bought a new one, then you're probably okay. Take a good look at their house and cars. If everything looks tidy and clean, the bike was probably taken care of. But, you never know. Buyer beware.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not sure the cash you're talking but I got my 09 Heritage with 5k on it for $11,500. Lots of bikes for sale.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Mileage is the weirdest thing to talk about with Harley owners. When I was looking for mine I had Harley owners tell me they would not consider buying one with more than 20K on it. But then they turn right around and say the bike is good for 200K!

I got lucky and found an 09 with 7k on it.

I'd ask why they are selling it. If they just bought a new one, then you're probably okay. Take a good look at their house and cars. If everything looks tidy and clean, the bike was probably taken care of. But, you never know. Buyer beware.

I think people say that BECAUSE there are so many low-mileage choices out there. So many bikes are purchased and just sit, so some people think "why would I buy a mid or high mileage used bike?"

I, for one, don't mind miles on a used bike. I'd rather buy a bike that has run and been serviced than one that has sat and got gummy and dry rotten, etc.

I would just suggest that you examine their service records and inspect the bike carefully for the things mentioned in the posts above.

Good luck.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
There's always the other side of the coin, isn't there?

When my Road King found me, it was the motorcycle equivalent of an alchoholic, homeless, punch-drunk ex-WWF wrestler that went over the hill a long time ago and whose legs were gone. 2004 model with 44K on the clock, no knowledge of service or history, stripped down and left for dead outside in the elements.

Yes, the price was right, but the point is that any sane person would have walked right past it without a second glance. But with some TLC and this forum, she's radiant, spirited and has given me nearly 30,000 wonderful miles of some the best adventures of my life -- and put me in touch with some of the most interesting characters I've ever met, some I'm proud and honored to call friends.

Don't let being too picky prevent you from experiencing this joy.

--

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
There's always the other side of the coin, isn't there?

When my Road King found me, it was the motorcycle equivalent of an alchoholic, homeless, punch-drunk ex-WWF wrestler that went over the hill a long time ago and whose legs were gone. 2004 model with 44K on the clock, no knowledge of service or history, stripped down and left for dead outside in the elements.

Yes, the price was right, but the point is that any sane person would have walked right past it without a second glance. But with some TLC and this forum, she's radiant, spirited and has given me nearly 30,000 wonderful miles of some the best adventures of my life -- and put me in touch with some of the most interesting characters I've ever met, some I'm proud and honored to call friends.

Don't let being too picky prevent you from experiencing this joy.

--

Great advice.

After reading your second paragraph, you should write love stories, man.

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
I would suggest going on cycle trader and just filter by the model and a range of years. You will get all kinds of results and price ranges. It will give you a good idea of what prices are for various mileages. I bought my 09 king off there sight unseen. Had him take it to the local dealership and they checked it out for me. Then had it shipped here. Wanted to go down to see it first but time did not permit. Got a great deal on it.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
You feel me.

--

1 - 15 of 15 Posts