Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully this will be the last dumb question for a while, provided I don't run into any more problems... I was able to borrow a motorcycle jack for this weekend. My jiffy stand has hung down halfway for as long as I can remember and drags on moderate to severe left turns. While I had it up repairing forks I figured I'd just replace the spring with the new one I'd purchased. I bought a new spring a few weeks ago. Easy right????

Well I have crappy luck so not for me. I have a 90 Sporty. The stand itself has a hole to slide spring through, but the frame has a peg with a nipple on end. The spring I took off had the hook end bent around that curve even though it was sprung way too much, I tried bending the new spring with the curve using vise grips but just bent more in a V instead of around the peg in a circle like the peg is shaped.

I am ready to get back on the road, tomorrow if I am lucky, and have this stupid ass problem that is more than likely an easy fix. What would ya'll suggest? Keep in mind this is a brand new spring. I bought a second spring today in case I can't get this replacement to work out.

Below I have the stand w/o a spring to show what I'm talkin about and a 2nd pic showing the springs. From right to left is the spring that came off (I had to break off) was sprung too much and hung down, the spring I tried to replace with sprung one (tighter, new unsprung spring), and unopened spring (does not at all fit curves of stock spring either).

Attachments

·
Registered
40,772 Posts
New spring.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Sure you got the right spring? Any how try to find a metal rod about the same size as the nipple on your bike. Chuck it up in a vise clamping down on the spring too and give it a twist, peen it around the rod with a hammer if neccesary. clamp any V's out with the vise smashing it against the rod.

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Lets see if I can expain this correctly.

Take the jiffy stand out of the mount.
Fit the spring with the stand out of the mount.
Use the leverage of the jiffy stand to fit it back into the mount.
Takes about 2 minutes.
Sometimes it helps to have a buddy hold the bike up for you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it guys. Tried like hell to get it bent around the rod like Vlad said but couldn't get the shape right. The spring was supposed to be the correct one. Went down and actually got one way to short and it works now, a little too tight but I could care less since it stays up. Since the others were too long they'd just pop off the nipple when the stand was put up. Not sure what the heck is going on....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts