Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new-to-me 01 Ultra Classic, incidently my first Harley, incrediably wasn't manufactured with a center stand. I really find that hard to believe because without a center stand, maintenance is so much more difficult. So, now I am looking for one to install but really don't know which one is best. I would prefer the center stand that mounts to the frame just in front of the rear tire because with that style one is able to lift the rear tire completely off the surface of whatever it is parked on. Then it dawned on me that this bikes seems to sit very low, or at least lower than my former ride. How would I determine if this bike has been lowered? How does one lower a FLHTCUI; by shorter shocks I wonder? Does lowering this model only involve the rear shocks or is the front end also lowered? To me these are important questions, because if lowered, the style center stand I am looking to buy may not work if this bike is lowered. I thank you in advance for any information coming my way regarding my questions above. Regards

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Harleys are lower than other bikes.They never did come with a center stand as the Brit.and jap bikes do except in the first years of production.
lowering requires shorter shocks and or shorter front fork tubes with the springs to match.
There is also lowering kits that mount the rear shocks differently but those are visibly different.
Measure Your shocks from eye center to eye center and post what length Yours are and maby a member with a similar model will post in what length their shocks are for a comparison.
With your bike in riding position without any weight on it what is the heighth from the ground to the frame tubes just under the engine?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MrMarty51. Please return to this Thread tomorrow. I will advise the numbers. Thanks so much.

MasterGuns

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,499 Posts
I don't think you're going to find a center stand for your bike, and if you do,
I think it will be prone to sink into any surface less firm than concrete.

Here's a $20 lift/stand that will probably be more stable that the one you're talking about.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm

For this cost, you could make 2 of them, and after using the first to get the bike up 4 to 6 inches, with a coulple of 2x8 spacer boards under the second one, you could hoist it up another 4 to 6 inches.

It would be easy and cause me to trip a lot less less if the pipe handle was left easily unscrewed, to put it out of the way until time to set the bike back down.

Short pieces of 2x10 or 2x12 planks are always handy for riding one or both wheels up on, to make enough space to get your lift under, just be sure to have a third one handy to set the kick-stand on too.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Ive seen adjustable and custom fit designs MG. Shouldnt be a problem.

·
Registered
40,733 Posts

Here's a $20 lift/stand that will probably be more stable that the one you're talking about.

For this cost, you could make 2 of them, and after using the first to get the bike up 4 to 6 inches, with a coulple of 2x8 spacer boards under the second one, you could hoist it up another 4 to 6 inches.

It would be easy and cause me to trip a lot less less if the pipe handle was left easily unscrewed, to put it out of the way until time to set the bike back down.

Short pieces of 2x10 or 2x12 planks are always handy for riding one or both wheels up on, to make enough space to get your lift under, just be sure to have a third one handy to set the kick-stand on too.
Looks like a variation of the pipe lift, easily made if you have access to a welder.

Or the double row version here

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Nathang, Hey bud, thanks for the headsup Tuesday concerning the stock mufflers on Ebay. Thanks to you, they are on the way to me. I owe ya.

Now then concerning a center stand for my UC. I also have a 88 VR Yamaha that weighs in at almost 800 lbs that has a factory center stand. I use the VR's center stand more than I do the side stand. Having said that, I also have a bolt on center stand coming to me via FedEx that is suppose to be an easy install for my UC. I;ll believe that if in fact it was easy after it is on. I just don't understand why mother HD doesn't design and equip these bikes with center stands. Center stands make maintenance so, so much easier and the expensive HDs should be built with one. Anyway, I will have it on soon and the key is to not to use it on soft dirt, melting asphault or mud. I think it will be a 125.00 very well spent.

Thanks

Masterguns

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Nathang, Hey bud, thanks for the headsup Tuesday concerning the stock mufflers on Ebay. Thanks to you, they are on the way to me. I owe ya.

Now then concerning a center stand for my UC. I also have a 88 VR Yamaha that weighs in at almost 800 lbs that has a factory center stand. I use the VR's center stand more than I do the side stand. Having said that, I also have a bolt on center stand coming to me via FedEx that is suppose to be an easy install for my UC. I;ll believe that if in fact it was easy after it is on. I just don't understand why mother HD doesn't design and equip these bikes with center stands. Center stands make maintenance so, so much easier and the expensive HDs should be built with one. Anyway, I will have it on soon and the key is to not to use it on soft dirt, melting asphault or mud. I think it will be a 125.00 very well spent.

Thanks

Masterguns
Because HD can make another 200+ selling you one, lest I'm crazy you can get a show stand that fits on the front around the regulator or a regular centerstand that mounts aft. Both are overpriced.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,499 Posts
thanks for the headsup Tuesday concerning the stock mufflers on Ebay. Thanks to you, they are on the way to me. I owe ya.
Hope they fit properly, I wouldn't be surprised if they are not straight bolt-ons.
I bet they'll be a BIG change in noise level. It is possible, maybe probable that you should get a reprogram done. Not as crucial as running one lean, and if off at all you would be running rich, but it's pretty likely the p.o. had it tuned when he went to the loud pipes.

Somebody with less concern for their hearing will pay you for those take-offs.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,499 Posts
Hey Guns, how did those new mufflers look, fit and sound?

Nice to ride w/o the ringing in your ears, I'd guess?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nathang, What a deal these stock mufflers were. $20 and they look brand spanking new; even on the inside. Got them on the other day and initially she hated them. Had to remove the PCIII, install the stage II download to the ECU and she is so far running great. The stock mufflers have a really unique sound to them; even better than stock. That is ofcourse because of the true duals. Again, thanks for the heads up. And like I said, if we ever meet somewhere around the metroplex, I owe ya lunch, dinner or several beers.

Thanks

MasterGuns

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,499 Posts
Glad I could help.
I try to stiffle my opinion when somebody asks how they can make their new bike really loud,
but when you ask how to make a bike somebody else made intolerable civilized again,
I'm glad I could help.
Comes from many years as a practicing gun nut, you know what it takes to protect or destroy
your hearing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts