Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you have seen my pix of the LowRider I modded to have a 7" bottom mount headlight, it is usually pictured with a windshield obscuring a serious cosmetic deficiency.

The LowRider is stock with a 5" headlight suspended from the aluminum "eyebrow" mount. I am satisfied with the new headlight and bottom mount, but I have yet to really clean up the old mount effectively. It has not been high priority because I do run the windshield most of the time, but I would like to handle this.

Here are pix, profile, then progressively more revealing pictures of the not very appealing structure of the upper triple tree with the eyebrow mount removed.

Does anybody have any ideas, short of trying to get one cut by a CNC shop?
Is that aluminum forged or cast, could it be welded?

I can't really envision welding up the whole gap, but there could still stand to be a pass-thru for cables and hydraulic lines.

I'll appreciate constructive suggestions.
Too much to hope somebody that makes a simple replacement that matches the lower?

Forgive the dirt, it's winter and I ride it much more than I clean it.

·
Registered
39,548 Posts
I think I'd take that top tree off and cut off and smooth the mouning tabs for the old headlight mounting bracket. Fill and smooth the wire clamp holes on the front of the tree. Smooth the casting seams. Then polish it.

Then on re-assembly, re-route your wiring bundles and clutch cable so that they run behind and to the left of the triple tree.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion.

I had asked [email protected], username here is FastHarley,
he makes custom front ends so I figure he has CNC and material at least,
just dreaming asked what he'd make a duplicate of the lower.

He said "You're trying to spend too much money!" My kind of guy!

He suggested fabricating a cover or filler section from aluminum.
He correctly reminded me that by removing the stock "eyebrow" headlight mount, I'll have to find someplace to put the indicator light panel. My son who works in the aircraft museum has access to lots of aluminum stock and breakes and shears and an English wheel, so if I had a good idea what what I wanted it could be fabbed up pretty easily. Not sure what shape, it I want to grind down the existing mounting holes, and try for a more flush piece.

Truthfully, I will almost certainly have a windshield obscuring this area 95% or more of the time, but it still needs finishing up.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
screw it, throw a wideglide front end on bike, I have seen it on a lowrider & it looks awesome,especially w/ the bullet:nod

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't prefer a WideGlide, in fact if I had one I'd switch to the narrow.

I could see switching to the 41mm forks on the later bikes tho.

And I don't want to spend $800 either.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anybody know which later 41 mm narrow glide front ends would be a fit?
The frame changed, did the rake and trail?

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
How about covering it with a leather tool bag? Place it on top of the light rather than under.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A a short fat chrome Nitrous bottle might look real nice too.

Have to have the proper marking, Harley orange too.

Attachments

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
Id run all the cables up the backside of the tree drill holes in the bar run internal wires(you could do it to the cables to like the old flanders bars)then into the controls.cut the tabs right off and polish the tree that is simple to do.
The indercator light panel ditch and put l.e.ds in your dash panel for them that way you wont have to mess with the harness to much.
And most definatly ditch the directionals on the bars move em somwhere else.Just my thoughts.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
The tree is cast, Nathan. Yes, it can be welded, but even with that, I'm not sure that just filling it in is going to make a difference regarding the profile, or appearence. It would have to be done really nice, as to NOT make it look like it was done. Make sense?

I've been looking around for a different top tree, keeping cost in mind. Nuttin yet........

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
3 or 4 inch angle, (iron or aluminum) (chrome or polish), Use the easily identifiable bolt holes on top of the tree to tie it down, taper and trim whatever profile you want with excess, make it long and you can wrap it around the tubes/retainers with flames or other s##t designs.:dance

1 - 11 of 11 Posts